Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Buick GSX

bluestringer

Waiting on some paint to finish up the 32 Cruiser, so in the meantime I think I will start on this one. I've had several Buicks in the last 40 years including 2 LeSabres and a Regal. I currently own a 2003 LeSabre. I like Buicks, need to find and build more kits. But I've never owned the GSX. Looks like a nice kit, I will painting it Gold Metallic with a black interior and will the build the performance version OOB.

DSCN0303.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, customline said:

I have this one in queue too. I was going to go straight up OOB stock. Not too many color choices for a stock version, though.

Jim, it was offered in only 2 colors, Saturn Yellow and Apollo White. It would look good in yellow, but in the old instruction manual which I have it mentions painting the body in Gold Metallic for the B version of the kit which is the custom, and Gloss Yellow for the A version which is stock. The instructions in this kit mentions Yellow or White. I think it will look good in Gold. But it's a model so any color you want would be right.

16 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Jim, it was offered in only 2 colors, Saturn Yellow and Apollo White. It would look good in yellow, but in the old instruction manual which I have it mentions painting the body in Gold Metallic for the B version of the kit which is the custom, and Gloss Yellow for the A version which is stock. The instructions in this kit mentions Yellow or White. I think it will look good in Gold. But it's a model so any color you want would be right.

Yeah, I kinda struggled with that but when the time comes to paint mine, I know I'll have to deal with some conflict about it. Many top shelf muscle cars have a limited pallet. It's what the geniuses at the factory wanted. A cost saving tactic? Probably. But on a Buick? Had to be about brand identity or some such thing. I'm sure somebody knows.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of building 3 of these kits. The first is '70 Apollo White, the other 2 are '69 Trumpet Gold and '71 Platinum Mist. Even though the '70 GSX was only offered in Apollo White and Saturn Yellow, these are my "if this car was offered in other colors, what would I choose?" preferences that match the black and red stripes.

• Like 1

There is a local Buick car club here in the KC area and they show their cars at the annual big show here as well as others in the area. Most of their cars are based on this body style and are GS models. Most try to stay very original looking. There is one that is painted black and that is presented as the OEM color. Another is white and has what is said to be a protype front spoiler. That car has been in a few enthusiast magazines in the past. I agree, paint it whatever color you like.  

• Like 1

Gold will be a great color with the stripes. I did mine in Tamiya TS-42 Light Gunmetal. I have a friend that is a Buick nut and has owned several 1:1's, although most were clones. HIs current one is painted in Synergy Green, while his son's is Metallic Blue. He's also painted a few others for friends including a Citrus Green, a Metallic Orange, and a Red one.

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Got primer on the body, Mr. Surfacer 1000., hope to get the color on tomorrow. Engine is ready for wiring.

IMGP9017.JPG

IMGP9019.JPG

Cool. I actually have a 1/1 set of those chrome Stage-1 valve covers hanging up in my garage even though I don't have a Buick anymore.

Just waiting for another boat tail Riv to come my way. 😉

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 7:47 AM, Zippi said:

That's looking pretty good James.  I'm liking the color.

Thanks Bob. The gold didn't turn out as good as I wanted, it's not very smooth. And I completely overlooked the parting lines on the C pillar. I went back and tried to sand them out and re-spray it and put another light coat all over. Looks better, but I didn't get all the lines out. I'm going with it though.

25 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Never saw this on a kit manifold before. Firing Order. Got the trim done on the body.........front suspension and exhaust done on the chassis.

IMGP9049.JPG

It's there on the real ones too. I've owned a couple over the years.

1970 Buick 455 Intake Manifold 4 Barrel V8 Grand Sport B-1231718-E | eBay

• Like 1