Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buying a pin vise HELP

I didn't think buying a simple tool would be so confusing lol.

What do you guys recommend for a good pin vise ?

I bought a Tamiya one online only to find no bits with it. I want to start using plug wires on builds.  Thanks !

Edited by WizPorsche944

Most pin vises do not come with bits. This way you can choose what you want to put in it.

I went on Amazon and bought a set of drill bits for my pin vise. If you buy cheap ones, get a set that comes with multiple bits of each size. Those little drill bits break easily.

• Like 1

A set looks like this, and this one's only a few bucks. 

EDIT: You're really better off buying more expensive ones, US-made if you can get them, or at least some brand name. I've bought cheap sets that wouldn't even drill plastic.

The bits for plug wires most often used will be around .012" to .016".

Get a cheap digital caliper too, so you can measure the wire you're using.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403307428251?hash=item5de6fef99b:g:VZgAAOSwtIBhmPLV&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4JcYWe3SvPl2GeWCb%2FCHOICcrXGLYstJb7BdOqp3TW1xlNTDrgNMbbNfaNWQYb%2BPuHWZ5co31%2Fep%2F0Qs3ZuF%2F8M7Ca2R7uGEewstV%2BHfUTznFldMxyKi6kJU620nNs3OpE3xIxpitEeKppxegf40RvKJn8Q8fSTD4jk4WKLe%2BpU50GfyTOQEcfGGlnEN2l9sdHl0H6tKgX5bl7eW7VowFli1De5EhbKCiyLROc%2BCUY8ryCy5ORsEB8Rgq0mkKMmZ8vVTZCln3ZLVWCxW6P9pO%2B9sFWSbax8HmF9GZQh9dXdd|tkp%3ABk9SR_j_2vjfYQ

Picture 1 of 4

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

I have three different pin vices that I use. One is sort of large and has a couple of larger drill bits as well as a couple of tapered file type ends. The main one I use has 6 or 7 different sized drills inside. The maker didn't think enough of their product to put their name on it anywhere, but it has served me well fore many years and is still the main one I use. The third one is the smallest and will work best with the very small bits. The bits I use with it are from a drill stand I bought that has a range of bits from #80 or 0135 too #61 or 039. The one I seem to use most often for the prewired distributers that I use is the #77 or 018 size. I have bought these from my local hobby shop along with replacement drill bits, but I have also seen them offered at places like Hobby Lobby. The ones that Ace has suggested is also a good way to go and I do still have a couple of those as backup. 

I just looked more on eBay, and it seems there are a lot of companies selling pin-vise sets with bits these days.

New 21pc Mini Drill Bit Set Index Case Aluminum Hand Drill Models Hobby ...

I haven't used any of them, so I can't recommend any, but they're worth looking into.

My own pin vises are ancient double-end high-quality jobs made in the US many years ago, and most of my bits are in little steel drill-index boxes, also US made.

20-piece Micro-Size Drill Bit Set with Index, #61 - #80

SOMETIMES you get lucky with the Chinese-made stuff, the steel is good, quality is good, and they last well.

Sometimes you don't, with soft steel in the bits, lousy points, soft aluminum handles that strip out easily, etc.

As with ALL tools, you don't always get what you pay for, but you will almost always pay for what you get.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

You bought the right pin vice from Tamiya.  It has a good rubberized grip and four different sized collets.  Good feel in the hand.  I am lazy and own 5 of them.  One for each collet size and one because my early ones didn't have the rubber grip.  

As to bits, I agree with Bill.  You get what you pay for.  I get mine from MSC or McMaster-Carr.  I like the carbide ones as they will stay sharp for a good long while.  I also buy the japanese ones from Kyocera. But then I use them in my mill for accurate drilling of brass and aluminum.  If you are just punching a hole in plastic that may not be necessary. If you look at different companies bits, you will find the the tips can be everything from finely ground to just kind of looking like a bit.  You get what you pay for. 

• Like 3

I've got a set of General mini files that has a handle. The carbide mini bits I got from Harbor Freight fit perfectly in the file handle. I also have a Hobbico pin vise I've had for 40 years, it came with 6 bits stored inside it. The file handle with the carbide bits is easier to use than the pin vise, but the carbide bits are very fragile and break easily. I keep an extra set on hand.

IMGP9008.JPG

IMGP9009.JPG

By far the best bits I have are the GodHand ones. The Vallejo ones in the orange case are also very good. The carbide/tungsten PC board drill bits in the bottom two cases are sharp and accurate, but extremely brittle!🤨 Smaller ones like I needed for plug wires didn’t last long. Better to spend a bit more and get decent ones.

D2CF61F5-B24A-407B-B431-657A581C1CBD.thumb.jpeg.5a55a3b586a00fbd585de91dda5198b6.jpeg

The pin vise on the left and the drill in the center are nice (from a local HS). The one on the right I bought online real cheap….but it has a huge collet on it making it less desirable. The drill bits that came with the cheap one would not even drill plastic.😕 I also bought a real cheap set of four pin vises at a local HS, but they would not even hold a drill bit straight inline with the handle.…I threw them away!🤨

BBAB743E-8624-4629-8DE4-3294CDABFECC.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

You are right about the pin vise “rabbit hole”.  I have a number of pin vises from Harbor Freight to Dspiae.  While it probably won’t help you in drilling plug wire holes, this Mr. Hobby set is one of the handiest I have for larger holes (1mm and up) and the quality of the “built in” drill bits (not replaceable) is extremely good.

2FE3ED16-2BB7-40A5-86CE-F1E21E8E1779.jpeg

The timing of this thread couldn’t be better.  I decided this weekend to order something better than my current pin vise, when I noticed I was bleeding on it.  Cut a nice round circle on my index finger while holding it in place.  It’s a really cheap one I’ve had forever.

Just ordered a couple new ones.  The Tamiya, and one from micromark that’s spring-loaded.

I still have my eyes on a few other pinvises. You, know--because you never know how many you might need, at any given moment. 😂 Same can, and should be, said for drill bits. The Ertl promo box is full, end-to-end with those plastic cases of ten carbide bits. Now that I see these photos, I might have a problem! Of course, it's only a problem, if you care! 😁

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

• Like 1

I have been using CML Supply for drill bits for a while (cmlsupply.com).   I use a lot of very small numbered bits in the 75 to 80 wire size.   These are under a half mm and come in packets of six.  I use twist drill bits and have much better luck with these over the cheap off shore stuff.  The circuit board bits that a lot of people use are tungsten and are easily snapped in a hand vise.  They work best in a press.   The pin vise I love and have used for years looks like this:

517B0294-560E-40BD-B015-5F1460D55A86.jpeg.f7b032c418cdb13a745b5fe2c9e877f8.jpeg
I have tried others but keep coming back to this one.   CML Supply sells this one for $4.29.   

Thanks to this post, I decided to order a $7.00 screw type pin vise and try it.  I like it, especially for plug wire holes .025”.  I used an old Triumph, I think, drill bit u.s. made that I purchased many years ago for drilling out accelerator pump squirter openings on 4gc carburetors (1/1 cars).  It worked out so well I am making it my dedicated drill for plug wire openings complete with a rubber cap to protect the bit.  The rubber sleeves are used for pencils, but I used them for hobby knife grips.  

7D3AF802-B1E6-4BC6-9FFD-3E86E5B72D35.jpeg

51747552-1A53-4968-ADB4-E37892C49DDD.jpeg

28 minutes ago, R. Thorne said:

Thanks to this post, I decided to order a $7.00 screw type pin vise and try it.  I like it, especially for plug wire holes .025”.  I used an old Triumph, I think, drill bit u.s. made that I purchased many years ago for drilling out accelerator pump squirter openings on 4gc carburetors (1/1 cars).  It worked out so well I am making it my dedicated drill for plug wire openings complete with a rubber cap to protect the bit.  The rubber sleeves are used for pencils, but I used them for hobby knife grips.  

7D3AF802-B1E6-4BC6-9FFD-3E86E5B72D35.jpeg

51747552-1A53-4968-ADB4-E37892C49DDD.jpeg

Nice! I have three different versions of these, one of which works very well. It may be the same model as yours.

FYI, this type of drill is known as an Archimedes drill, or Archimedean drill.