Model Cars Magazine Forum

How much trouble to mail paints?

JollySipper

Hey, Fellas..... I'm just wondering, how much trouble is it to send paints through the mail? The reason I ask is I have a brand new bottle of Tamiya LP65 (rubber black) that I would like to trade for a bottle of ACRYLIC turn signal amber....... It has to be acrylic so I don't have to fool with thinner and all that. It's easier for me to trade for it.......

Anyone interested? or have any helpful info?

Thanks!

Just go to the P.O they will ask you if you have any Haz-Mat materials to mail. If yes, they will put a Haz-Mat label on the package, so it does not wind up on a passenger plane. A lot of online hobby shops mail paint all the time. I don't know if acrylics are considered Haz-Mat materials the P.O. counter people should know.

Good luck

Mike

20 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

Bubble wrap it, throw it in a box, and mail it.  Why tell them what is in there?

Seems that would be veering to the side of almost illegal..........?   :rolleyes:

Where I order online from doesn't carry the acrylic turn signal paint, it's just easier to trade for it, for me anyway.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Seems that would be veering to the side of almost illegal..........?   :rolleyes:

Where I order online from doesn't carry the acrylic turn signal paint, it's just easier to trade for it, for me anyway.

You are in America, correct?

Order from someone that does have the acrylic version.

https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Acrylic-Gloss-Clear-Orange/dp/B0006O5262

https://andyshhq.com/products/tamiya-x26-clear-orange

https://www.amainhobbies.com/tamiya-x26-clear-orange-acrylic-paint-10ml-tam81526/p27798?gclid=CjwKCAjwzuqgBhAcEiwAdj5dRnHLrX3CAzyVsTOwGAqvVrysFMMdWCF5RQHGJwV9PUTIRryWZFzzPxoC_8MQAvD_BwE

Just a few sources I found really quick

41 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

Because it is the right thing to do

If you package it properly to prevent damage, there is no reason the USPS needs to know there is a bottle of paint in a box. Their job is to move that package to where it needs to go, and that is it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

If you package it properly to prevent damage, there is no reason the USPS needs to know there is a bottle of paint in a box. Their job is to move that package to where it needs to go, and that is it.

While I agree with you in principle, the problem is that there are fools in the world who will try to mail liquids in baggies, or containers that are as fragile as glass Christmas ornaments (with no padding), or just get too hyper-stressed dealing with the rigors of getting the kids to soccer practice and picking up the dry cleaning to remember to screw the lid on tight before they put the jar in the box...or they'll mail corrosive or other really nasty stuff that actually CAN cause problems.

Most seemingly stupid and intrusive rules and regulations exist to protect the rest of the herd from the lowest-common-denominator types who manage to screw up everything they touch.

That said, I've received all manner of "hazardous" liquids through the normal mail, unmarked, with not much in the way of special packaging, with nary a problem.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

While I agree with you in principle, the problem is that there are fools in the world who will try to mail liquids in baggies, or containers that are as fragile as glass Christmas ornaments (with no padding), or just get too hyper-stressed dealing with the rigors of getting the kids to soccer practice and picking up the dry cleaning to remember to screw the lid on tight before they put the jar in the box.

Most seemingly stupid and intrusive rules and regulations exist to protect the rest of the herd from the lowest-common-denominator types who manage to screw up everything they touch.

That said, I've received all manner of "hazardous" liquids through the normal mail, unmarked, with not much in the way of special packaging, with nary a problem.  B)

This is what I was saying.  I just don't play well with others. So I didn't exaplain it like this.  HAHA

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2023 at 10:02 AM, ctruss53 said:

Bubble wrap it, throw it in a box, and mail it.  Why tell them what is in there?

Picture this: You send a package through USPS with aerosol cans inside, and negate to inform anybody of its flammable and combustible contents. While at a facility it is on its way to be cleared to load onto a plane, it is found out during clearance for air mail that the box contains multiple combustible aerosol cans and no warning label. Next thing you know, you’re on a suspected terrorist watchlist and you’re getting calls from TSA and other government agencies asking why you want to blow up planes.

Warning labels like that are necessary not only for concerns of liability, but also because very few people take the time to think things through logically. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I mail order paints (mostly Tamiya bottle acrylics, sometimes their aerosols, which are synthetic lacquer), and the boxes always have a black & white NFPA 704 sticker on them.  
As far as an individual's responsibility, why not error on the side of safety ? Seal the box in the presence of a postal official, and present a handwritten explanation of what's being presented to mail. Get a receipt, too... CYA, in other words. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

there is no reason the USPS needs to know there is a bottle of paint in a box. Their job is to move that package to where it needs to go, and that is it.

If you don’t want the contents of your package to be known to anyone besides the recipient, then perhaps sending it through a government-run agency where it’ll pass through x-rays, metal detectors, and countless peoples’ hands isn’t the logical choice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

If you don’t want the contents of your package to be known to anyone besides the recipient, then perhaps sending it through a government-run agency where it’ll pass through x-rays, metal detectors, and countless peoples’ hands isn’t the logical choice. 

I don't know man, people mail weed all the time!   :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Depending on the specific quantities and qualities of the specific material, you may not be able to mail it at all.

If we're going to follow the rules, let's quote the ACTUAL RULES

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_021.htm

in particular 343.24 Mailable Flammable and Combustible Liquids, paragraph a.

Voluntary compliance at your PO is always colored by the ability (or lack thereof) of your particular postal employee to read and comprehend the rules. Good luck with that.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy