Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another GSLMCC Common Kit

Marc Weller

I've competed in three previous GSLMCC's. My first effort was back in the 80's and I managed a 3rd place in the drag category. My second two attempts were less successful, let's just say I was not even in the ballpark. Since this may be the last GSLMCC I've decided to attend with the goal of building something that at least won't be an embarrassment when placed on the table with all of those amazing models !! I've been a fan of Mickey Thompson since I was a kid and I've had the opportunity to see the Attempt 1 and Challenger 1 LSR cars in person as both had residencies at the nearby NHRA Motorsports Museum. I'm particularly intrigued by the little Tempest motors used in the Attempt 1 and at some point had the brainstorm of using the Attempt 1 drivetrain in a '29 roadster. I used Scalefinishes Marina Blue for my base coat. I'm still waiting for dry weather to shoot my clear. To replicate a Dow 7 finish on my wheels I used Scalefinishes antique gold for a base coat followed by Tamiya clear yellow. I'm pretty happy with the results. The awesome bomber seat is from Highlight Models in Finland. I machined the magneto from aluminum rod. The cap is machined from Lindberg '34 pickup sprue which is a darn good match for the Vertex plastic. I enjoy wiring 4 cylinder models twice as much as I do V-8's !! See you in Salt Lake.IMG_4857.thumb.jpeg.f38556e0b35bbddebc0f899463141fa7.jpeg70111566838__6CB201E4-A53F-4153-A570-285862F42325.thumb.jpeg.45d3f17718c56fc5e0a3f013455c203b.jpegIMG_4859.thumb.jpeg.a113311c0f62cc3fa34329472d45af7b.jpegIMG_4860.thumb.jpeg.36a6eef3374c04774a1363ec7698b49f.jpegIMG_4794.thumb.jpeg.ab9ac6bfc4502fab0d5b391ec4235408.jpeg

• Like 3

It's coming together. Managed to shoot the 2K clear without fisheyes. Motor is mostly done. I cast those rear tires from the front tire of the AMT Watson Roadster kit. My all time favorite model car tire !! Fronts are Attempt I .   Looks like I'll make my deadline !!IMG_4897.thumb.jpeg.5651670af86c4ab75ed5c6df6714d09d.jpegIMG_4898.thumb.jpeg.f2256a903f8add20ae6bb09c71aeb430.jpeg

Edited by Marc Weller

Marc....really great to see you back at the scale bench. 

I am pretty certain I remember several of your entries for GSL from back in the day (and I think I photographed a couple for my magazine event coverage, too), but in any case, I think you were well in the thick of it all three times you were there. 

Looks like a very fun build and I also agree with you about the Mickey Thompson I4. 

Best wishes for bringing this one home...TB 

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Marc....really great to see you back at the scale bench. 

I am pretty certain I remember several of your entries for GSL from back in the day (and I think I photographed a couple for my magazine event coverage, too), but in any case, I think you were well in the thick of it all three times you were there. 

Looks like a very fun build and I also agree with you about the Mickey Thompson I4. 

Best wishes for bringing this one home...TB 

You know, there is nothing like getting encouragement from one of your heroes !! Thank you Tim. You are truly model car royalty and I hope I get to see you in Salt Lake. Meanwhile check out my just finished aluminum door panels.IMG_4904.thumb.jpeg.b8a883cd1cbb0584db02e2030628bb8a.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...