Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model building versus other hobbies

My wife loves to cross stitch, and she has quite a stash of things which makes her understand my stash of models. She belongs to a couple stitching groups and hearing some of the things she tells me makes me appreciate other model builders. I have heard her tell me of people just getting started in stitching and their work is let's say subpar. It is amazing that other people will point these things out to them rather than encourage them. One group she belongs to had a few people overseas that belong to the group and they complained so much about others talking about hobby lobby and things they purchased there that the subject is forbidden on the forum. The people overseas were complaining that they had to listen about the deals people have gotten when they do not have a hobby lobby. I told my wife that these people are all freaking crazy. Has anybody else heard such ridiculous comments in other hobbies?

Some sports fans, when their team plays it like a case of temporary rabies has infected entire towns, and it happens weekly but is somehow just part of it. Doesn't matter how good a people they are, their team plays and all their wit and reason gets chucked out the window.

There are, in my experience, a certain percentage of "My way is the only way" people in ANY hobby.  It's certainly true in motorcycling and firearms.

The trick is to find a forum that discourages/moderates that sort of behavior.  This one, for instance...

• Like 6

My fiancé operates in the purebred dog world, it's her passion, her life and her expertise, so she talks about it A LOT. What she tells me daily about the gossip, back stabbing and drama makes me believe some of these people are incapable of human friendship. Which is probably why their only relationship success is with captive animals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

My fiancé operates in the purebred dog world, it's her passion, her life and her expertise, so she talks about it A LOT. What she tells me daily about the gossip, back stabbing and drama makes me believe some of these people are incapable of human friendship. Which is probably why their only relationship success is with captive animals.

Many years ago, my wife wanted a dog, and a Labrador specifically.  I happened to have a customer that had started to breed Labs and had her first litter about to be ready for sale. Well we got a male that would crawl all over its litter mates and had the biggest paws. So he came home with us. Part of the deal was that this lady wanted us to show the pup and we did try. Even paid to have a noted show handler work with him and handled him in the show ring. We quickly learned the politics of the dog show world. The good news is we had thew most wonderful dog who was more like a five-year-old trapped in a fury body. Even our Vet said he had more personality than most people. God how I mis our little "Puppy Boy". 

• Like 2

Some of the guys I know in the real car 'hobby' are total exhaust-ports, if you catch my drift. It's impossible to have any kind of conversation with them that doesn't focus entirely on how much they spent to have (insert big name here) do whatever, and that they usually have zero understanding of anyway. They'll rabbit on endlessly, using the wrong terms for things, explaining incorrectly how things work, impressing the absolute begeezis out of themselves.

There are other guys, even occasionally owners of Porsches, Ferraris, and other marques that are routinely associated with ego-inflated butts, who are entirely down-to-earth, nice guys overall, and a genuine pleasure to deal with.

Whatever you do, whatever you're involved in, it takes all kinds.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 8

Every hobby has its "elitists." Those who feel their way is vastly superior to that of the others.

We see it around here every now and then.

I especially notice it with real cars, and model cars. Mainly because those are the hobbies I pay attention to.

That and guitar. I don't bother with guitar forums or discussion groups at all anymore. Too much nonsense and drama. Too much brand loyalty. Too many closed minds.

But for every donkey, there's a handful of genuinely good people. :)

• Like 2

Used to be a member of a certain salt water fish aquarium forum site. Talk about some passionate folks who will knock you down a few pegs and humiliate you with simple questions.

Got banned from there after calling out the mods on the attitudes of certain members. A whole lot of politics in protecting them.

Edited by BlackSheep214

The only hobby I've ever taken on that didn't have more than its fair share of egos has been photography, and I'm pretty sure that's because I resolutely stayed in the "I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm having fun doing it" end of things. The A-hats seeminly stayed away when I told them that. 

Hockey fans and car guys are among the worst I've ever seen, but I think every hobby is pretty much the same. I try to stay far away from those folks.

• Like 2

My other main hobby is Amateur Radio. I'm looked down at by some because I don't know morse code. It's on the to do list, but I haven't sat down and forced myself to learn it. I have fun with other aspects of the hobby. Actually, at the time of this writing I'm trying to work Indonesia on 15m FT8.

73, John W8JRD

• Like 1

My other interest is Firearms. Cannot believe the types of people on Firearms forums.

Just one Topic Starter. 9mm vs .45 Cal. That one can end friendships.

I'm new at the hobby, so I read a lot and say little. That said, there are genuinely nice folks in all hobbies.

• Like 4

There's good & bad in every hobby. I was heavily involved(and still am to a much lesser extent) involved in the world of C1 & C2 Corvette restoration. You'd have one guy with a cobbled together '74 Coupe with hardware store fasteners & Summit chrome valve covers acting like an elitist know it all, while another guy with a Bloomington Gold & Duntov award winning '55 Corvette that's the nicest guy in the room even going as far letting you drive that very car "because you bought a round of beer the night before". 

On 3/25/2023 at 6:16 PM, Lunajammer said:

I dated a woman very briefly who was into the dog show scene big time. What you describe is what I noticed as well. It was a real eye opening experience. Setting up obstacle courses in the yard for the dog competitions, traveling 100 miles each way so the dog could do jumps in the water then turn around and drive 100 miles back home.  Ended up breaking it off with her because of the dogs. She had the nerve to bring up my model hobby. I told her "They don't eat any groceries nor do they dookie all over the floor if I don't get home in time. 

• Like 3

I inherited an old Filter Queen vacuum from my mothers estate , heres a reference picture i found online-

Filter Queen Vacuum with Attachments | H. K. Keller

I had no idea how it worked or where to buy replacement filters, while looking around the internet i came across a forum much like this one but for vacuum collectors , its a nice group of people with a mix of both men and women. I joined the group but dont consider it as a 'hobby' for me but alot of those people take their vacuum collections very seriously (LOL)

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 8:54 AM, heyjohnxx said:

My other main hobby is Amateur Radio. I'm looked down at by some because I don't know morse code. It's on the to do list, but I haven't sat down and forced myself to learn it. I have fun with other aspects of the hobby. Actually, at the time of this writing I'm trying to work Indonesia on 15m FT8.

73, John W8JRD

I have a relative that was into computers from day one. He resisted the change to Windows because why would you simply click on an icon when all you have to do is enter the appropriate Dos command at the command prompt.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, von Zipper said:

I inherited an old Filter Queen vacuum from my mothers estate , heres a reference picture i found online-

Filter Queen Vacuum with Attachments | H. K. Keller

I had no idea how it worked or where to buy replacement filters, while looking around the internet i came across a forum much like this one but for vacuum collectors , its a nice group of people with a mix of both men and women. I joined the group but dont consider it as a 'hobby' for me but alot of those people take their vacuum collections very seriously (LOL)

I bet that forum sucks!🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, imarriedawitch said:

I have a relative that was into computers from day one. He resisted the change to Windows because why would you simply click on an icon when all you have to do is enter the appropriate Dos command at the command prompt.

That was my dad. Started with Heathkit 8088 machines and hated when he could no longer use DOS.

This hobby has some bad apples too.  If you go look in the section of this forum about how to work the forum, there is a guy complaining because he can't block people. He wants to block them because he thinks their builds are so bad they are offensive.

His posts are insulting. So I put him on ignore.  haha

I have had nothing but great experiences in this hobby. I joined the local scale model car club and I have learned a ton of stuff. In fact those guy compliment me on how much I have improved in the 4-5 years since I have joined. I can't say enough good things about what the club has done for me and my skills.

Now on the other end of this spectrum are real car clubs.

I also build real, full scale cars. And real car clubs are very clicky. The mopar guys all hudle together and insult everyone that won't drive a mopar. The import guys call all the american car guys names. And so on and so on. Real car groups seem very segrigated in my experience.  I have to go online if I need help or want information.

1 hour ago, ctruss53 said:

This hobby has some bad apples too.  If you go look in the section of this forum about how to work the forum, there is a guy complaining because he can't block people. He wants to block them because he thinks their builds are so bad they are offensive.

His posts are insulting. So I put him on ignore.  haha

I have had nothing but great experiences in this hobby. I joined the local scale model car club and I have learned a ton of stuff. In fact those guy compliment me on how much I have improved in the 4-5 years since I have joined. I can't say enough good things about what the club has done for me and my skills.

Now on the other end of this spectrum are real car clubs.

I also build real, full scale cars. And real car clubs are very clicky. The mopar guys all hudle together and insult everyone that won't drive a mopar. The import guys call all the american car guys names. And so on and so on. Real car groups seem very segrigated in my experience.  I have to go online if I need help or want information.

Yeah, I've found this forum to be pretty good as far as hobby sites go. Some A-hats, but that's life I guess.

Car clubs... clicky. That's an understatement! One of my former groups had a bunch of older fellows - 70s and up - that spent more time gossiping about other members, their cars, their lack of skills and anything else they could come up with, than they did on their own cars and club activities. They poisoned the entire club for a good long time.

And there are many more NOT like that in IPMS clubs, so let's get this into perspective please before this becomes a club knocking thread.

Guys, ALL clubs suffer generally from a minority elitist and nerd faction that are full of their own self importance. We all know what they are like, full of criticism, put downs on who they perceive as lesser than themselves. Like empty vessels they make the most sound, say very little but talk a lot and become elusive when asked about placing their own stuff on the table.

Then on the other hand you have someone who quietly just makes something superb and puts it on the table and modestly steps into the background. The sort of guy who always takes more interest in talking about what fellow modellers are doing rather than himself.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 4