Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Aoshima MGB roadster

Johnny Mac

Awesome job! i'm working on one of these now too.  I opened the hood in case i decide to convert it from a curbside at some point down the road, but I may just leave it be. I was also a little nervous about the size of the gaps in the door panels but yours looks great all built up! That should save me quite a bit of rescribing time lol.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 11:44 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Great looking model, very realistic. And whoever tooled the up-top and boot did a great job.

The up-top, particularly the flush-looking fit of what would be soft plastic windows on the real one, is about the best I've ever seen.

I agree with Bill - beautiful model John!

As for the convertible top, the windows look flush because the entire top is molded out of clear plastic.  You mask the windows and paint the fabric areas.

Tamiya convertibles also utilize the same design of using clear plastic for the roof.  Clever!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed- that is an excellent looking "B."

On the 1:1, the clear windows were heat-sealed to the top material during production, and the design of the kit accurately reflects that look on your finished model. I had a later model MGB for about a decade (mine was an '80 with the rubber bumpers). While I tried finding an earlier chrome bumper car, most had rusted pretty badly by the time I was shopping around.

• Like 1

Absolutely lovely, and fully agree on the "just-right" period appearance of the paint. A very crisp build indeed. Did you drop the ride height the hard way by modding the suspension parts, or the "close enough for Government work" technique of just fitting the floorpan on top of the fore and aft lugs rather than between them? Either way, the stance looks just right.

best,

M.

• Like 1