Model Cars Magazine Forum

29 Ford: Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023

Calb56

I appreciate the comments, not only is this my first attempt at weathering, it's my first build since returning to models last August. I'm hoping to achieve a 90+ year old car put together to drive and the drags on a budget and to get the proper patina and not to end up in exaggerated rust.

My 1st attempt on the trunk turned out better, I screwed it up trying to "fix" it, so purple pond. The firewall was a disaster at trying to be model correct, so I'm going with period correct for a hot rod find and an unknown firewall. 

19 minutes ago, ModWrench said:

Man that body looks really good!! I'm interested to know how you got that look on the top of the cowl and the top of rear quarters?

That was easy. I used a black wash, which I watered down and applied with a really wet brush. I then dabbed with a paper towel and allowed to dry. I think it left a good effect.

Edited by Calb56

Trying to decide about using the finned drums from the 29 Roadster kit. Using the rear tires and steelies from it. Will also need a master cylinder...? Maybe use a 36 Ford rearend? It would be easier having more mechanical knowledge. 

Using Forward Resins Artillery Wheels and tires up front.

Comments, etc welcome. 

20230328_074558.thumb.jpg.69ddb360cdf3657ef9bd6252628178e2.jpg

Edited by Calb56
  • Like 1

Now I'm trying to deal with very delicate, fiddly suspension parts and ready to pull out what's left of my hair.

A couple rear suspension parts keep breaking and I don't even know about adapting the front axle...and vent over. Just setting aside everything for a day.

• 1 month later...

20230601_022905.thumb.jpg.ce55aaca9e3bffd7095bc2070ccd00e7.jpg20230601_022024.thumb.jpg.da307371b70e765fc1879b67a713d2e5.jpg20230601_022043.thumb.jpg.79d15a7d9e281b86e5ff7d893c60ffaf.jpgSanded off the hinges in doing body work. Scratched some from wire. Hope it's close enough. Filled the holes in the back. Working on the interior "panels". I really hope the body paint is done. So many re-dos, I'm sick of it.

Edited by Calb56
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, modelfink said:

good stuff!

5 hours ago, H.A.K said:

Looks great.

Thank you. Stripped the engine to repaint. It was pointed out it wouldn't be so grimy realistically...

Re-painting it and then the chassis and suspension finally gets done.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kit Karson said:

Have yet tried weathering... now I know why!  It's an art in itself... @Rocking Rodney Ratdid a job on our '29 PU V-12 Midnight Auto Salvage!

2101697547_29PUV-12MidnightAutoSalvage9-15-12B.jpg.95d84099ffd3de5a956ef2cdb7ad9f36.jpg

Keep up the good work and your teaching all of us a great lesson on weathering. -KK

It's my first attempt at it. I had to redo the trunk and the body has gone through several versions...still need to sand some of it down. Im also dialing back on the mill...it needs to run. I think the chassis and suspension pieces look good though.

Thanks for your kind words, your work blows me away.

Now, I gotta figure out how to get the straight axle to work on the chassis, will probably kit bashing the 31 suspension with the straight axle parts. Once that's figured out, it's all downhill from there.

20230620_115828.thumb.jpg.783f9f0ae131c8c70443bacaeb54377c.jpg

Edited by Calb56
  • Like 1