Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 car and truck kit product news at 2023 DAAM Show....

tim boyd

Round 2 News at 2023 DAAM Show

Round 2 formally unveiled their 1960 AMT Ford F100 3 in 1 kit at the show. If I understood correctly, it is planned to be available for sale before year end. Also shown was the latest test shot status (last time is was just a 3D print) of the Round 2 2021 Ford Bronco, along with test shots of several other recently announced projects.

Fresh box art was on display for upcoming releases like the 1965 Chevelle AWB Funny Car kit. It was confirmed that the 1967 Cyclone kit is based on the 1990's AMT-Ertl took, not the original 1967 tool which lost its body to the Cyclone funny car kit back in the day.

Perhaps the most interesting news is that Round 2 plans to show 2 other brand new kit tooling releases derived from their cloning program at the NNL East show. Presuming this actually takes place as planned, these kit topics will be absolute blockbusters!

29 images for your review are posted at this link 

Happy to answer any questions you have, presuming I know the correct answer.

Thanks for looking....TIM

DSC 0055

Round 2 formally unveiled their 1960 AMT Ford F100 3 in 1 kit at the show. If I understood correctly, it is planned to be available for sale before year end. Also shown was the latest test shot status (last time is was just a 3D print) of the Round 2 2021 Ford Bronco, along with test shots of several other recently announced projects.

Fresh box art was on display for upcoming releases like the 1965 Chevelle AWB Funny Car kit. It was confirmed that the 1967 Cyclone kit is based on the 1990's AMT-Ertl took, not the original 1967 tool which lost its body to the Cyclone funny car kit back in the day.

Perhaps the most interesting news is that Round 2 plans to show 2 other brand new kit tooling releases derived from their cloning program at the NNL East show. Presuming this actually takes place as planned, these kit topics will be absolute blockbusters!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I see a few kits of great interest.

I'd better take the bottles in for recycling. Gonna need that extra $$$! 

Dan...man oh man, between this and next year, sounds like we are ALL gonna need lotsa extra dollars!!!!   And that's just the Round 2 stuff!    TB 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great Stuff Coming from Round2!

Will the '60 Ford P/U have any optional Wheels, besides the stock hupcaps?

HPI Guy has a Sodbuster Kit, (and the Batmobile too!) and promises a build of the Sodbuster soon. Cannot wait for that.

The '67 Merc Comet is a pass for me. I have 2 of the first releases, and new tires and decals will not open my wallet. A 3 n 1 kit would have done so.

I'm really, really curious to see exactly what parts are in the '34 Ford Coupe.  No Signage calling out a 2 n 1, so I guess it will be only the hotrod version. The Small Block Chevy in that kit has some great Dress Up parts for the engine.

THe '65 Elky with the camper this time! Sign Me up!  A great option for that kit.

Lastly for me, the '92 & '96 Chevy Trucks will get a close look. Thar '96 Dually (Doolie) in particular should be a great Tow Vehicle. A Suggestion for Round2. Next Release of the Dually, pair it with the 2 axle trailer from Mod Stock Hauler, or the MPC Clear Trailer. Both Trailer tools have been run recently, and the MPC Trailer and Dually was released that way about 25 years ago. 

Go Round2!

15 minutes ago, mk11 said:

Thanks Tim! and Steve G. !

Hope the Cyclone 390 doesn't come with the Buick port spacing shown on the box :)

The real kit has authentic FE exhaust port spacing....but I see your point....the illustration is a little exaggerated in that regard!  :)   TB  

2 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Great Stuff Coming from Round2!

Will the '60 Ford P/U have any optional Wheels, besides the stock hupcaps? ...

If the kit is a faithful reproduction of the original 1960 kit, it should come with '57 Plymouth-type aftermarket cone-style wheel covers as "custom hubcaps".

c62841cc10985033d1bfcef624de925a.jpg

s-l500-1.jpg

20200605_220617-1.jpg.a9c1ace279b77c1743bcd5119bb05744.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the (excellent) photos, @tim boyd

That F-100 looks sweet (I've always loved those "crown" hubcaps). I'd be keen on building a replica of the pickup in Easy Rider from it.

Nice to see that wild full-on camper version of the '65 El Camino. I had it as a youngster (40+ years ago), but couldn't put it together properly.
I hope that the '64 will see light of day some day... or at least the I-6/Powerglide as an option.

Thank you for posting these pics for us, Tim.

Glad to see the '60 F100 will include an engine and have the bed separate.

Also really liking that new box art for the '70 Super Bee.  Sure seems to indicate that the decals will include the C-stripe in blue, which I think will be a first.  Will be doubly sweet if they also include a blue bumble bee stripe.

5 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Thank you for posting these pics for us, Tim.

Glad to see the '60 F100 will include an engine and have the bed separate.

Also really liking that new box art for the '70 Super Bee.  Sure seems to indicate that the decals will include the C-stripe in blue, which I think will be a first.  Will be doubly sweet if they also include a blue bumble bee stripe.

Robert, thanks for the comments. The C-stripe was available before, IIRC it was in the original c.1990 "Pro Street" kit release with the c.1964 DOHC Hemi engine.  Here's an image of a 1970 Super Bee I built with those decals....TIM 

DSC 1170

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Robert, thanks for the comments. The C-stripe was available before, IIRC it was in the original c.1990 "Pro Street" kit release with the c.1964 DOHC Hemi engine.  Here's an image of a 1970 Super Bee I built with those decals....TIM 

DSC 1170

Tim,

Agreed, I have the first issue Pro Street kit with those C-stripes.  I know one of the more recent Round 2 reissues also offered them in black or white:

image.png.afec8ce882db5f166e93a71186ef2905.png

However, I don't think they've previously offered them in blue, which is quite rare in 1:1.

In my opinion, its quite eye catching:

image.png.aa6629944b674dd794f366f5fb1398d7.png

image.png.8b87bf444d180115cad51693850d08db.png

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Tim,

Agreed, I have the first issue Pro Street kit with those C-stripes.  I know one of the more recent Round 2 reissues also offered them in black or white:

However, I don't think they've previously offered them in blue, which is quite rare in 1:1.

image.png.8b87bf444d180115cad51693850d08db.png

And hopefully they bring back the pitchfork hood!

7 hours ago, tim boyd said:

DSC 0055

Simple as it was, I look forward to that 292 Y-Block truck engine!

Thanks, Round2!

1960 Ford Truck 292 HD V-8.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I’m predicting ‘70 - ‘76 Firebird/Trans Am. No inside info, just reading the back catalog tea leaves. 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matt T. said:

I’m predicting ‘70 - ‘76 Firebird/Trans Am. No inside info, just reading the back catalog tea leaves. 🙂

Good idea on those Firebirds!

As for a fully-cloned (?) kits, I predict the MPC '68-'69 Impala and AMT "67-'68 Galaxie.

Let the prediction-game begins!

:)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Tim,

p

Robert....sorry about that....I didn't see your mention of blue regarding the C-Stripe.  I agree, that would be highly cool.  Of course, if they did the blue one, I'd also like to see the pale green one (IIRC, that was the fifth color and very rarely ever seen....)   TB 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PintoKING said:

Good idea on those Firebirds!

As for a fully-cloned (?) kits, I predict the MPC '68-'69 Impala and AMT "67-'68 Galaxie.

Let the prediction-game begins!

:)

I would like both of those.  

But how about something really weird and obscure that would break the internet... like a '61 Valiant ;)

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Robert....sorry about that....I didn't see your mention of blue regarding the C-Stripe.  I agree, that would be highly cool.  Of course, if they did the blue one, I'd also like to see the pale green one (IIRC, that was the fifth color and very rarely ever seen....)   TB 

With all the excitement over the '60 F-100 I forgot to mention that this version of the "70 Coronet Super Bee is a special run that feature both the Peacock Blue and Ledger Green "C stripes" with the third color being Black.  We also did the tail stripes in Black, White and Peacock Blue just for fun.  When this run of kits is over, I doubt that you will see those rare colors on the decals again.   

-Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

When I started a thread about this last year, I had my doubts that the AMT 1960 Ford F-100 pickup kit would ever be re-released, especially after a 63 year absence! Everything that I read indicated that the molds had been damaged or lost forever. Good job, Round 2!

Edited by rekcirb13