Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 car and truck kit product news at 2023 DAAM Show....

tim boyd

On 3/27/2023 at 9:58 AM, GMP440 said:

My gut feeling for what's next is the AMT 67 Galaxie.  Lots of requests for that one through the years.  Maybe some can give us a hint.

With Steve mentioning in another thread that more mid-60's GM intermediates (A-bodies) were a part of his cloning program, and already pretty far along in development, I would not be surprised to see one of those projects next. Though I am largely a Ford guy and I would love a 67 Galaxie, I would roll the dice on a Craftsman Plus 64 Malibu or another 64 Chevelle/El Camino variant arriving first. Perhaps the 66 Buick Skylark GS after that. 

Edited by garagepunk66
  • Like 2

Let me end part of this discussion.

AMT knocked it out of the park with the Charger. Much of the same research would apply to the Challenger. 

The new release will be an updated super kit of the Challenger as a wide body.

As far as the cloned reissue, it will either be the Cosma Ray (I've found enough pieces to cobble one together) or some stock bodied kit that I will have no interest in. 

It could also be one of the MPC Pro Stockers excluding the Mustang II. We know the full Mustang II mold should still exist due to its 2005 release so no cloning should be needed. I'm thinking either the Challenger, Cuda or late Duster. The Cuda was modified from its early issues especially around the headlights. The late Duster has had a couple of changes to the body. It would be interesting if they'd modify the AMT Duster into the California Flash instead of trying to renew the MPC 1971 Duster.

IT WILL not be the Dick Harrell Camaro funny car simply because I really want one and can't afford it. 

Some very interesting guesses here.  My understanding is that the two for NNL East will likely be clones based on past kits, but ones that are considerably improved (both in accuracy and also in improved ease of assembly)  vs. the original kit issues.   

Let's hope the real news comes out soon!  Unfortunately I won't be able to be there, but I'm hoping to hear the "huzzahs" from New Jersey in late April all the way over here in Michigan.  (Well, obviously, not really, but  at the least, some very surprised and excited posts on the message boards and forums!) 

Best, TB 

4 hours ago, Motor City said:

I'd go for a '58 Thunderbird hardtop or '59 convertible, or a '59 Invicta.

The AMT 1960 Ford Thunderbird annuals (#1260 hardtop and #11260 convertible) had opening hoods and an engine — one of the firsts for annuals begining that year.

That would make it a more desireable kit to repop for me since the '59s were produced as promo-style 'curbside' kits (#1-TCK convertible, #1-THK hardtop) with no engine or opening hoods. The '58 was only a promo.

The '60 Thunderbird kit was once-and-only re-issued as a convertible in 1969 (T-132).

And I'm definately in for the '59 Invicta hardtop! — That's one of my "holy grails"... (Heck, I'll take a '60 Buick hardtop as well!)

IMG_0364.jpeg

AMT T-132 '60 T-bird Bird of Paradise 1969.jpg

AMT Jr. Trophy 1959 Buick Invicta.jpg

AMT T-142 '59 Buick Invicta Boondock Bomber 1969.jpg

Edited by blizzy63
  • Like 1

Okay, here is my guess. I believe Round2 will use the newly tooled parts for the 68 Coronet R/T convertible/hardtop to give us a 69 version. My feeling is there is very little changes to the body (except for rear taillights), and they can use the new frame, engine, tires and most of the interior for a 69 kit.  Round2 could even give us three kits, one a convertible and the other a hardtop. For just a little bit more plastic they can give us a 69 Super bee sixpack! From what I can tell the only MPC 69 Coronet convertible was the Mission Impossible kit while they never did the Six Pack version. So, let's do a count, 5 kits from a cloned 68 original with a few new parts for the 69 versions. I say give it a go Round2! (And yes, I know about the Monogram/Revell 1/24 69 kits, I just never really liked them so much.)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 3/27/2023 at 12:33 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

Well what you read doesn't appear to be incorrect. The molds probably were damaged and/or lost. This new release appears to be a clone (with improvements) of the original. Please note the cab is separate from the bed, the improved engine compartment, that the grille and front bumper are now separate from each other, and if Round2 follows precedent, the headlights will probably be separate clear pieces now. 

Looking forward to further details now that the kat is officially out of the bag. 

This is all good news, and I'm looking forward to seeing them!

On 3/27/2023 at 12:04 AM, blizzy63 said:

Simple as it was, I look forward to that 292 Y-Block truck engine!

Thanks, Round2!

1960 Ford Truck 292 HD V-8.jpg

That Y-block is an FE similar to the ones in the 62-64 Galaxie and 34 Ford truck kits with Y-block valve covers. Look at the heads and intake, definitely not a good representation. 

32 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

That Y-block is an FE similar to the ones in the 62-64 Galaxie and 34 Ford truck kits with Y-block valve covers. Look at the heads and intake, definitely not a good representation. 

Not sure if you’re referring to the engine in the model or the illustration that I provided from the 1960 Ford truck brochure.

If you’re referring to the model, yes, perhaps. Only the valve covers look definitely Y-block. The mill is kinda hot-rodded up so it’s tough to say. The distributor appears to be at the rear. I’ll be gathering up my old ‘56-57 Y-block engine parts to see if I can enhance that motor some.

I have an engine from an original 1960 Thunderbird annual which I will be making a side-by-side comparison in the (near?) future.

The brochure illustration is certainly a 292 truck Y-block.

Edited by blizzy63

2 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

Not sure if you’re referring to the engine in the model or the illustration that I provided from the 1960 Ford truck brochure.

If you’re referring to the model, yes, perhaps. Only the valve covers look definitely Y-block. The mill is kinda hot-rodded up so it’s tough to say. The distributor appears to be at the rear. I’ll be gathering up my old ‘56-57 Y-block engine parts to see if I can enhance that motor some.

I have an engine from an original 1960 Thunderbird annual which I will be making a side-by-side comparison in the (near?) future.

The brochure illustration is certainly a 292 truck Y-block.

Yes I was referring to the engine in the kit. The engine is definitely an incorrect mishmash and if that's what it comes with so be it, I will resort to the 56/57 Ford engines or a revell y block which is very nice. 

3 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Yes I was referring to the engine in the kit. The engine is definitely an incorrect mishmash and if that's what it comes with so be it, I will resort to the 56/57 Ford engines or a revell y block which is very nice. 

Maybe in time the Kat's from Round-2 start tooling up engine families and gearboxes which can be sold as parts packs or included in newly modular designed kit tooling. All in due time I guess, cuz they're cranking out new product like crazy, and I'm loving it ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I agree that the original engine is not a good representation of the stock Y-block engine.  This is one area of the kit that we made minimal changes, so it is what it is.  The chassis will be also relatively unchanged as well. 

-Steve 

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

I agree that the original engine is not a good representation of the stock Y-block engine.  This is one area of the kit that we made minimal changes, so it is what it is.  The chassis will be also relatively unchanged as well. 

-Steve 

Thank you for the clarification neighbor, I say that because I am from Litchfield. 

32 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The engine in the AMT 1960 Starliner would be a great upgrade/substitute for the 1960 F-100 offering, neh ?

That would be a great upgrade or substitute for the F100 although the Fe series engine was not available in the trucks in 1960

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

The chassis will be also relatively unchanged as well. 

-Steve 

Just a thought - any chance the chassis can be molded flat on top so that we can grind off the stock exhaust system and driveshaft and not have to fill in holes? And can the openings behind the grille bars be molded deeper so we can open them from the back?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

There's a reason that the muffler areas on old annual kit chassis are hollowed out on top.  Without that, the muffler areas on the chassis would be filled with molten hot plastic in the molding process, and those areas would take forever to cool.  They'd also shrink more than the surrounding areas leaving the mufflers looking like they were caved in.  

Those pickup kit chassis are pretty flat on the top side.  Not too tough to cut out the muffler areas and fill with scrap plastic, or, better yet, cut the whole flat area out and replace with sheet plastic to get rid of the pipe detail too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve 

I owned a full size 57 with a Y block, and I grew up them, but that fish nor fowl version doesn't bother me any more than the Lincoln engine in the 25 T. I'm just hoping the unibody 61-63 F100s are in the future plans. 

Possible Quik&Dirty solution to the engine problem in the Ford Truck.

Scrounge an older style 'extra' Oil Bath Air Cleaner from a Moebius Ford kit. Many of them have a choice of Air Cleaners. Cut of two of the triple carbs (leave the center one) and file the Manifold flatter on the nds where the old carbs were. Not Great, but perhaps good enough for a Shelf Model.

Or There is my plan. Assemble and paint the engine block and oil pan, the heads, exhaust manifolds, and the Fan/Belt parts, install the motor. Glue the hood shut. Curbside using only the minimum of parts.

• Like 1