Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1956 chevy del ray

happy grumpy

The middle tri-5. I build this one to represent the box art. I liked the color combo. When I was young , these were quickly disappearing but I remember going to the junkyard and pretend I was driving in these retired beauties. Beautiful kit, it builds pretty much like it's sibling the Nomad version . My least favorite of the tri-5 but I still like it . I wish I could spend my vacation in that decade.

As always , thanks for looking.

chevy 1956 07.jpg

chevy 1956 10.jpg

chevy 1956 11.jpg

chevy 1956 12.jpg

chevy 1956 13.jpg

chevy 1956 14.jpg

chevy 1956 15.jpg

chevy 56 del ray 01_B.jpg

• Like 12

Really nice box art build! Impeccable paint and workmanship.

My first car was a high mileage but clean turquoise & white ‘56 210 two-door sedan (is every “210” a “Del Rey”?). Bought it in 1972, a time when you could buy a nice tri-five for < $500. I picked this kit up at Michael’s last year with the aim to build a tribute to my first ride, hope I can do half as well as you’ve done on your build.

Beautiful looking showroom style build. The trim is all cleanly done and the stance looks right for stock. We had a 210 four door with the 6 cyl. and three on the tree back when. Nothing fancy, but dead reliable even in the sub - zero winters in Illinois. 

1 hour ago, papajohn97 said:

My first car was a high mileage but clean turquoise & white ‘56 210 two-door sedan (is every “210” a “Del Rey”?). Bought it in 1972, a time when you could buy a nice tri-five for < $500. I picked this kit up at Michael’s last year with the aim to build a tribute to my first ride, hope I can do half as well as you’ve done on your build.

John, You were questioning the Del Rey option. Chevrolet offered the Del Rey option as an interior upgrade on the 210 series. Starting in 1954 Chevrolet offered the interior upgrade that would give the buyer a nice-looking interior trim without having to pay the price of going into a Bel Air. This was offered thru the 1957 production run. My father bought a new 1956 Chevrolet 210 four door but with the standard interior. No one ever accused my father of spending money needlessly. He also managed to save even more with the 6 cyl and tree speed, no overdrive. No radio and only black wall tires and the dog dish hub caps. How they ever got him to buy the bumper guards is a mystery.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 6:44 PM, happy grumpy said:

The middle tri-5. I build this one to represent the box art. I liked the color combo. When I was young , these were quickly disappearing but I remember going to the junkyard and pretend I was driving in these retired beauties. Beautiful kit, it builds pretty much like it's sibling the Nomad version . My least favorite of the tri-5 but I still like it . I wish I could spend my vacation in that decade.

As always , thanks for looking.

chevy 1956 07.jpg

chevy 1956 10.jpg

chevy 1956 11.jpg

chevy 1956 12.jpg

chevy 1956 13.jpg

chevy 1956 14.jpg

chevy 1956 15.jpg

chevy 56 del ray 01_B.jpg

In my mind I think my skills are on par with yours, but when I see a build as beautiful as this, I feel like an 8 year old again.

Excellent looking build Mario. These are actually my favourite of the tri fives, even though I think the’55 has cleaner lines. My Dad had one that he retired before I was old enough to drive and it was sitting in the bush on our farm. I’m working on one now….thanks for the inspiration.

On 3/27/2023 at 6:49 PM, atomicholiday said:

Really nice looking model.  Great workmanship.

Thanks Jeremy.

On 3/27/2023 at 6:56 PM, Jim B said:

Nicely done.

Thanks Jim.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:08 PM, Classicgas said:

Beautiful. What did you use for the purple? Very close to what I mixed up for my 56 nomad.

56_nom36.jpg

Thanks Lee. The colors are TS 7 racing white and TS 11 maroon. Topped with TS 13 clear.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:47 PM, presnell said:

Nice job on the 56,love it! I spent many hours behind the wheel of a 56 150 series business coupe driving to and from Eglin AFB Florida to Asheville NC when I was in the Air Force. Wish I still had it!

Thanks Jim. 

On 3/27/2023 at 8:34 PM, TransAmMike said:

Oh man thats looks great Mario👍   Seems odd to see one thats build factory stock.

Thanks Mike. Yeah this is my preferred way of building, but I do appreciate the customs we see in here.

On 3/27/2023 at 9:34 PM, Rattlecan Dan said:

Very Nice Build. Clean and neat. Fine example of the good ole' 56. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Donato. Glad you like it.

On 3/27/2023 at 9:39 PM, Mopar2 said:

Great build...You really did justice to your 56...

Thanks Frank.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:09 AM, Zippi said:

Oh yeah Mario.  Nice looking build on this 56 Chevy.  Great color choice.  I had a 55 and 57 1:1 back in the day.  

Thanks Bob. These were great cars, 

On 3/28/2023 at 7:32 AM, charlie8575 said:

Well done.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie

On 3/28/2023 at 8:09 AM, bluestringer said:

Very nice Mario. Great color combo.

Thanks James

On 3/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, papajohn97 said:

Thanks John. This is a nice kit, you'll have fun building it. Looking forward to see it here.

On 3/28/2023 at 12:25 PM, espo said:

Beautiful looking showroom style build. The trim is all cleanly done and the stance looks right for stock. We had a 210 four door with the 6 cyl. and three on the tree back when. Nothing fancy, but dead reliable even in the sub - zero winters in Illinois. 

Thanks David.

21 hours ago, ea0863 said:

I love that you kept it "stock". So lovely in those colors. Well done!

Thanks Emre. The box art made me want to build it. I also bought the Nomad 56 for the same reason. I posted it here too.

18 hours ago, bogger44 said:

Beautifully done.  I agree on the color combo, it sure is sharp.

Thanks Tony. 

7 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

In my mind I think my skills are on par with yours, but when I see a build as beautiful as this, I feel like an 8 year old again.

Thanks Jeff. The most important aspect of this hobby or any hobby for that mater is to have fun. As long as you have fun, nothing else maters. As for the skills, I still screw up and in fact, no model is 100% there's always that little nagging thing that 's not quite right,  at least it is for me. So enjoy building.

6 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Excellent looking build Mario. These are actually my favourite of the tri fives, even though I think the’55 has cleaner lines. My Dad had one that he retired before I was old enough to drive and it was sitting in the bush on our farm. I’m working on one now….thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks Greg, working on an actual 56 must be a blast. You should build a replica after you're done and post it here.

5 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Very nice!

Thanks Tom.

5 hours ago, Engine 51 said:

Wonderful….so nice to see it factory stock. Well done!

Thanks Joe.