Model Cars Magazine Forum

Look out for the WTB/LF scam. It’s here.

LDO

Some people are such dirtbags that they scour the internet for “wanted” ads. They send a PM telling you that their friend has what you’re looking for, just send an e-mail.   Check out their profile. Pretty much always a member who just signed up, no posts. The only thing they have ever done on that site is send you a PM. I got one for my “LF Monogram 1/8 Golden Tee tires” post here. On some sites, it’s just pointless to place an ad at all. I hope these untermensch don’t ruin the Wanted forum here. 

☹️☹️☹️

I also received a "PM" from this "person" on my post of looking for a B Model Mack.....   My reply from him was that he lives in Hawaii and that he wanted $85 for the kit....    At the time was shown as only THREE posts.....   Tell ya anything??????     BEWARE!!!!!!!!

DJ

If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.  Broken English is always a red flag and definitely warrants a look at the user's profile. I sell vintage 1:1 parts on Instagram for a living and these scammers are a regular staple on there. Hope no one gets taken advantage of by this guy.

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Got reminder to stay diligent when considering trades.

And if something feels off, ask questions.

:)

And report to Admin! If people report then the scammer can be banned and not have multiple and ongoing attempts.

Most of these scammers are not even actual people just Bots that search for certain keywords and respond automatically. They are rampant on one car site I am on and there can be as many as 30 signing up in a day. Most start pumping out the PMs within minutes of registering and as there are only a few seconds between each message you know it isn't a human doing it. Do not reply to these PMs (even to say you know they are a scammer) as once you do it clicks over to an actual human and they can be very convincing.   

• Like 1

Got the same type of message from that guy and his cohort. About my post on needing Autocar parts. Here is the reply

Autocar parts

Trash

AGNmyxZMfcjtYcU1ADnfMQ38bSm_oD8hVfKG-3IYPK8O=s80-p-mo
Jerry Fowler   Wed, Mar 29, 4:20 PM (20 hours ago)

I am located in South Jersey near Philadelphia

AAkddurHdIfje_r3ZdV33v93F7YJnGtdLka9L8timSTUtW4REAsdzXDJQeBwCLQ0WOCh=s80-p
Mills Broker   Wed, Mar 29, 4:25 PM (20 hours ago)

Good to know, I’m in Missouri

Jerry Fowler   Wed, Mar 29, 4:28 PM (20 hours ago)

Looking for a cab and all three pieces for the butterfly hood. What price are you asking?

AAkddurHdIfje_r3ZdV33v93F7YJnGtdLka9L8timSTUtW4REAsdzXDJQeBwCLQ0WOCh=s80-p

Mills Broker

Wed, Mar 29, 5:16 PM (19 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

The asking price for all is $50 shipped.
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
Recipients

cleardot.gif

Send

So...ummm...what's the object of the scam? What is the scammer trying to get?

Only thing I can see that would be of any value to a bad guy would be an email address linked to a PayPal account, so a program could then be run to try to crack the password.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

I wouldn't trade with any member who's only been around for a few posts and/or less than 6 months. 

especially wouldn't trade with anyone whose reasonable command of the English language is so obviously lacking (tense-shifts being the most obvious example). Typos, reasonable misspellings, and/or grammar & punctuation are one thing , but man alive...

The moderators should put a restriction on new members so that they cannot place an ad or respond to an ad until they reach X posts - whatever number X turns out to be.

This won't eliminate all scams but it will certainly eliminate the "fake newbies/bots".  

Edited by showrods
  • Like 2