Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint too expensive? Try mica powders.

I saw a couple of videos on Youtube about mixing mica powders with clear and airbrushing them. It looks like an economical way to get a whole bunch of cool metallic colors relatively cheaply. I did some research on Amazon and found a 63 color box of 10g each mica powders for $40. I also found a quart can of clear lacquer for $20.

Today, I tried out a few of the colors with a rudimentary mixing ratio of 1/8 teaspoon of powder to 2ml of Mr Color Leveling thinner and 2ml of the relatively thick clear.

The superfine powders mix with the thinner pretty well and then the clear was added. I shot it through a 0.5mm airbrush at 20 psi. It lays down like a typical tinted clear whereas you keep adding layers until the color is where you want it. It is very tolerant of running if you wait 15-20 seconds between applications of 6-7 passes. You can go heavier towards the end. When you are done, it looks really glossy. It dries in a couple of hours to a satin to semigloss sheen. I am sure with experimentation of ratios or technique, the gloss could be manipulated. As is, the sheen would be perfect to simulate a vinyl interior.

Overall most colors that I tried look like 1/25 scale factory metallics. The few that have larger flecks in them have the "bass boat" look to them.

The one pearl I tried really has a pearl effect with pink highlights and a light green aura. It just does not show in the pics.

The other reason I got the mica powders was to try it as flocking for carpet. I have yet to do that.

$60 for almost a lifetime of metallic paint colors is not a bad deal.

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2917.JPG

IMG_2919.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
spelling

12 minutes ago, iBorg said:

That's very interesting. I'm curious how it works over different color primers as well as body work.

I did some over some primered spoons. Over white primer, the color looked better with some of the colors. My grey duplicolor primer was nearly impossible to cover completely and exaggerated the orange peel of the primer. I painted some light colors over some prepainted dark parts and it takes quite few layers for coverage. This should be expected with a clear base. This gives me the idea to maybe try mixing some powders into non metallic base colors.

3 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Looks fantastic Bill. So you basically skip the color coat and do this over white primer. 63 colors plus infinite mixing capabilities.

If this brush painter had the possibility to air brush I would definitely go for this.

Fantastic idea.

Depending on the paints you use, you could try getting a smaller sample box and mixing in the mica into your existing paints.

Did some ongoing trials on this mica spray test. Sprayed Future over half of the spoons. Turned out great. Experimented with my clear lacquer carrier by topcoating more of the same clear over the other half of the spoons. Tried to use Xylene as a thinner 50/50. Nearly instantly made jelly. Used lacquer thinner instead of Mr Color leveling thinner. Sprayed just fine with no adverse reaction whatsoever to the mica pigmented clear laid two days ago. This experiment is giving great results so far.

You can use metal powders, as well. I even mixed some of those into resin, with decent success. I have some pearl powders I picked up, back in the '80s, too. As Noel said: Experimentation is beneficial to the hobby. And looking outside the modelling "realm", you will often find the same products at much more cost-effective prices--I mean, much of the stuff marketed to us hobbyists is priced the same way cops estimate the value of a gigantic drug bust.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, kevin k said:

So, you mix Enamel thinner with lacquer paint? Also, where do you think the semi gloss came from since you were using a gloss lacquer? 

Kevin 

Yes, Because it is a highly recommended thinner. Semigloss before clearcoat because the mica powders add enough texture to the mix in spite of the gloss carrier.