Model Cars Magazine Forum

aged concrete slab

j_nigrelli

i am faced with the assignment of modelling a concrete floor for a 1/25 scale garage. i would consider buying a resin slab if i could find a good source. there are probably some military modelers who know where ...

short of that, anyone know of a tutorial on line which would get me there?

thanks,

j

i am faced with the assignment of modelling a concrete floor for a 1/25 scale garage. i would consider buying a resin slab if i could find a good source. there are probably some military modelers who know where ...

short of that, anyone know of a tutorial on line which would get me there?

thanks,

j

J,

There are several ways you could simulate a concrete floor. It would depend on how much texture you would want . Pouring plaster or hydrocal into a mold made with balsa or styrene is a good way to start. One thing I like to do is to spray a piece of posterboard or thick styrene with gray primer, sprinkle baking soda onto the wet paint, shake off the excess, spray again with gray primer, add some gray, white or/and black pastels for shading and voila! a realistic looking concrete floor.

Here is a pic of a floor I did using this method. The base was plastic. I scribed the slab lines using the back of an exacto.

garageII024.jpg

Here some oil stains were added for realism.

dioShelfcolumn055.jpg

You can play with the amount of texture you want on your floor by adding more or less baking soda:

This has a heavier coat (or two).

garage2004004.jpg

making the floor look heavily used by adding dirt contributes to the "texture".

garage2004020.jpg

Hopefully this will spark some ideas for making your own floors J. Please ask any questions to help you through scratchbuilding the floor if that is what you decide to do. There is a wealth of knowledge in the diorama section here.