Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lowerider ('37 Ford Street Rod)

Lobo2me

As a tribute to the late great Boyd Coddington and his 1995 AMBR award winner, the Smoothster, and out of respect for imaginative rod shops like OZE, plus inspiration from Chip Foose’s very cool Impression, I decided to build my vision of a ’37 Ford Street Rod.

Testor’s Smoothster kit seemed like a great place to start. But I planned to lower and widen the body, chop the top even more, and add 20”/21” Brixton UltraSport resin wheels and tires to give it the proper stance. And I’ll give it suicide doors, open the trunk, and hinge the hood to tilt forward. I’ll name it Lowerider, as a play on my last name.

Mods include….

·      Body channeled approx. 6 inches

·      Hood lengthened approx. 4 scale inches & hinged to tilt forward

·      Running Boards – reshaped and Side Exhaust outlets added

·      Rear of body extended and reshaped

·      Rear Fenders widened 8 scale inches, and wheel openings reshaped

·      Front Fenders widened 6 inches, and wheel openings reshaped

·      Opened and added Suicide Doors

·      Passenger compartment molded around seats

·      Roof chopped addl. 2 smoothed and shortened 4 inches

·      Side and Rear Window openings reshaped

·      Trunk opened w/ Sheet Metal Ribs & Stampings

·      Spare Tire, Scissor Jack & Handle, and Gas Cap added

·      Duvall Style Windshield scratch built

·      Mini Cooper headlights (borrowed from Grandson’s RC car)

·      Custom Duvall Windshield scratch built

·      Taillights scratch built from red sprue

·      Posable Front Suspension

·      Coil-Over Shocks front and rear

·      Retractable License Plate

·      Seat Belts

·      Engine - plug wires & plumbed

·      PE Instrument Cluster and new Dash

·      Interior and Trunk carpeting brown Embossing Powder

·      Chrome – Hasegawa Mirror Foil Film

Thanks for looking....

IMG_0651.jpeg

IMG_0668.jpeg

IMG_0736.jpeg

IMG_0688.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg

IMG_0791.jpeg

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0769.jpeg

IMG_0846.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0810.jpeg

IMG_0841.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

• Like 2

Definitely WOW! Pretty cool interpretation of a Boyd Coddington classic! A lot of great details and well done body mods!

Back in the mid 90‘s when the Smoothster appeared on the show circuit I tried to build something similar in scale. The Smoothster kit wasn't available yet, so I modified an AMT ‘36 Ford roadster to resemble a Boyd.style AMBR contender and I do see some similarities here. Great build, sir!

25 minutes ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Definitely WOW! Pretty cool interpretation of a Boyd Coddington classic! A lot of great details and well done body mods!

Back in the mid 90‘s when the Smoothster appeared on the show circuit I tried to build something similar in scale. The Smoothster kit wasn't available yet, so I modified an AMT ‘36 Ford roadster to resemble a Boyd.style AMBR contender and I do see some similarities here. Great build, sir!

Thanks for the kind words. It was a handful but a fun build! Any pics of your '36 on here somewhere.

6 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Sure, here‘s the link:

Very cool! An SHO engine in the boot, Prowler intior and wheels. I think it is a worthy AMBR contender. Very well done and great photography. I also really enjoyed the Missiouri license plate...my home state.

23 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Hi Ollie. Enjoyed all your models on your website. Whart a variety! Nice jobs....each and every one.

Glad you mentioned all of the changes you made. The body work is all so well done that just looking at it you wouldn't realize just how much was done. Beautiful looking paint finish and color. Very nicely done interior. 

23 hours ago, espo said:

Glad you mentioned all of the changes you made. The body work is all so well done that just looking at it you wouldn't realize just how much was done. Beautiful looking paint finish and color. Very nicely done interior. 

Thank you. Sometimes I get a little carried away and in over my head. This one had a lot of challenges. But that is why I do it and keeps my interest in modeling going.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...