Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Deathproof" 69 Dodge Charger R/T

Car Crazy 81

I Know This Model Has Been Built Many Of Times On This Forum I Figure I Give It A Try. Its A Revell Kit The Body Is From A New Revell 68 Charger. I Swapped The Bodies On The 68 & 69 Chargers I Have. The Wheels Came From The AMT Dukes Of Hazzard Kit. I Already Have The Frame Painted. I'll Keep Ya'll Posted.

Edited by LSU Fan 1981

I did this project last year and I really enjoyed it.

Does the 68 Charger body come with the vinyl roof? I used the 69 body and it was a major PITA to sand off all that texture. By far the most time-consuming part of the project.

I hope to build a Boss Hogg Cadillac one of these days to compliment the General Lee.

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

• 2 months later...

I finally got the General Lee painted i used Dupli-Color "Engine Enamel" Chevrolet Orange. No offense to any Mopar fans about me painting a Mopar with a Chevy color i find this shade is dead-on. Im still deciding if i wanna go with the kits 440 ci or the Hemi time will tell. Instead of using the AMT "Dukes Of Hazzard" wheels i found a set that are custom that came with a AMT 69 Riviera kit.

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

Colors off, but the wheels look great. And they never came with a silver sway bar. That question has been asked so many times in Mopar mags over the years. All Mopar sway bars are black. Should put the 440 in it if you are going for realism. Never says what engine is in it in the TV series, but there's one shot of the engine in the barn on a hoist before they went looking for a body in one episode. You can clearly see it's a big block, but not a Hemi. <_<

Merkur asked a question, "Does the '68 Charger come with a vinyl top?" I found the answer to that question after I had sanded and cut all the trim off. "No, the Revell '68 Charger doesn't have a vinyl top." I opened the kit and looked. Also, both fascia will fit either body. I could have saved myself a lot of sanding if I had looked before I did all that work. From now on I'll decide whether or not I want the vinyl top before deciding which body to use. <_<

Gary

Should put the 440 in it if you are going for realism. Never says what engine is in it in the TV series, but there's one shot of the engine in the barn on a hoist before they went looking for a body in one episode. You can clearly see it's a big block, but not a Hemi. :rolleyes:

They used different engines depending on the scene being shot if I can find it I have and old article in a magazine that covers what engine and when it was used , most of it came when they were shooting jump scenes. A smaller lighter engine to the 440 were used and they would also counter balance the cars to keep them from nose diving into the ground.

Edited by 59-Desoto

They used different engines depending on the scene being shot if I can find it I have and old article in a magazine that covers what engine and when it was used , most of it can when they were shooting jump scenes. A smaller lighter engine to the 440 were used and they would also counter balance the cars to keep them from nose diving into the ground.

Yeah, they used just about any engine that came in the car they bought at the time. I was just merely going for the story line used in the show. In all the tv shows you can't see enough of the engine to tell what it is. Most of the time it's just an air cleaner shot or it's too dark to see detail. Think they did htat on purpose too. There's one shot in one of the reunion shows where you can clearly tell it's a small block though.

in alot of the shows you can see a clear shot of the grill. some of the time it will have the r/t in the grill, which means big block. story line was based on 440, but they claim they smashed up alot of small block cars since there was alot of them around. i know way too much about DOH. :rolleyes:

in alot of the shows you can see a clear shot of the grill. some of the time it will have the r/t in the grill, which means big block. story line was based on 440, but they claim they smashed up alot of small block cars since there was alot of them around. i know way too much about DOH. ;)

The total number of cars used was amazing if I can find that magazine I'll give you the totals , If I remember right it was in the hundreds . It almost made me cry to know how many Chargers were destroyed :o

It was somewhere around the 350 mark. It's not as many as everyone thinks. BUT, it's still too damned many for an antique car that will never be reproduced again. It's too bad they don't have a standard sort of race car/stunt car chassis that you could hang any kind of fiberglass body on. They way, most of the time you just tear up fiberglass and you can cgi the crash to make it look right on the tv or movie. It's not that hard to do these days.

I've got all the DOH season dvds they have out now. And the R/T emblem is not the only screw up they show from time to time on those cars. Some have chrome all around the roof section. That means that car was originally a vinyl top car. I saw one episode where the car has a '68 Charger LF fender on it cause they did not take the time to pull the round marker light out of the fender. Some were painted Mopar Hemi Orange a factory color and some were painted hugger orange. Some had no back seat in them and some had extra roll bars you could see in the car. Probably a stunt car they used in a scene. There's one shot in Ga. on the square when they get chased around by Roscoe, you can see a GL parked in a parking space on the left side of the square. There's so many screw ups I could do this for an hour or so. I actually like to watch movies to find the screws up from time to time though ...lol.

Yea dwc43 that sounds about right and I did enjoy watching them every week, lots of screw ups but they were fun to see them run those Charger though the miracle body shop every episode. You could see those fenders buckle on impact every jump and then the next shot not a mark LOL ;)

59, remember the first show? It opened with a jump of Roscoe Chasing the GL. They used it for the opening credits for a long time too. In slo moe, right when the tire first hits the ground, you can watch every fender,door, and quarter panel just shimmer and shake as the crash landing continues in slo moe. What a shot.

I recently found a copy of Top Gun in the 5 dollar dvd bin at wally world and watched it too. You can watch the wheels when one of the Tomcats hits the carrier deck. That thing looks like it almost fell off. It took a 30* right turn when it hit the deck and you could watch the landing gear just shake and quiver too. That was another good slo moe close up shot.

59, remember the first show? It opened with a jump of Roscoe Chasing the GL. They used it for the opening credits for a long time too. In slo moe, right when the tire first hits the ground, you can watch every fender,door, and quarter panel just shimmer and shake as the crash landing continues in slo moe. What a shot.

You know David, I still can't believe somebody actually restored that car! I saw it a year or two after it was drug out of that Georgia junkyard and it didn't have a straight, rust free panel anywhere!!!

BTW, anybody know what orange John Schnieder's General Lee is painted?

Edited by Joe Handley

The Charger had nothing on Roscoe's police cars. I remember one where Roscoe hit a ramp in a Dodge, flew through the air in an AMC and landed in a Plymouth.

Take that, disappearing R/T emblem!

Yeah, I remember that too. I can't remember which episode it was, but one of the Duke boys walks into the house with one color plaid shirt on and when he enters the door on the interior shot, he's got a different color shirt on. lol.

You know David, I still can't believe somebody actually restored that car! I saw it a year or two after it was drug out of that Georgia junkyard and it didn't have a straight, rust free panel anywhere!!!

BTW, anybody know what orange John Schnieder's General Lee is painted?

That's the one they painted to look like a blue stock car in one of the other episodes if I am not mistaken.

I think Johns is Hemi Orange. Hard to tell from the pics though. Here's the link, you decide.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/general-lee-charger/230758/

Anytime Joe. I have a copy of that movie. Even got it signed. They held Dukesfest in Nashville at the race track I run at for a couple years in a row. John took over doing the show and moved it to Ga. though.

Did John ever get the second movie made Collier and Co. ?? Would not mind getting my hands one a copy of it when it's available since I have the other one. It's not a flick, but the comedy part was not that good. I think it would have been better if it was done a little more serious with the story line he had going. At least made a more believable chase scene out in the orange grove.