Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pete Lovely Volkswagen T2 Transporter and Lotus 49B

Fabulous looking models, both!

I'm not sure if I would have had the courage to try to transport a race car in such a manner. But I'm also not sure I would have had the courage to drive one on the track either. 

So there you go.

I seriously may not have believed that someone would have transported an F-1 car on a Transporter in such a manner had you not provided the photos to prove it. You did a wonderful job capturing a lesser known bit of auto racing history, well done.

David G.

• Like 1

Both the Race Car and the Transporter look very realistic. The finishes look very much like the picture of the real setup. This would have been "Racing on a shoestring" as the saying goes. 

On 5/17/2023 at 6:20 AM, David G. said:

Fabulous looking models, both!

I'm not sure if I would have had the courage to try to transport a race car in such a manner. But I'm also not sure I would have had the courage to drive one on the track either. 

So there you go.

I seriously may not have believed that someone would have transported an F-1 car on a Transporter in such a manner had you not provided the photos to prove it. You did a wonderful job capturing a lesser known bit of auto racing history, well done.

David G.

I know, but I saw different photo of cars and racecars transported like that and even worse (Cooper). Also it was in the early 70's... Imagine a the race track with all the (full size) transportes this one pull up. :D Thank you! :)

On 5/17/2023 at 7:33 AM, ChrisR said:

Awesome!!!

Thank you!

On 5/17/2023 at 9:51 AM, happy grumpy said:

Awesome replica. Certainly an unusual sight around the F1 circuit, all the more interesting. Excellent job and attention to details.

Thank you! I had to build it, Pete was a famous race car driver arond the PNW.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:56 AM, SpikeSchumacher said:

Very well done!

Thank you!

On 5/17/2023 at 1:06 PM, TonyK said:

Great looking replica and I agree with the comments about the real pictures. Never would've believed this existed without them and it supports your modeling skills.

True, here another one with the 49B in the Gold Leaf livery. This is when the car was restored. Thank you!
Pete.jpeg.7acfac6a59f431b830e3dc18682fa000.jpeg

On 5/17/2023 at 1:53 PM, espo said:

Both the Race Car and the Transporter look very realistic. The finishes look very much like the picture of the real setup. This would have been "Racing on a shoestring" as the saying goes. 

Thank you! As close I could replicate it. It was difficult to find reference photos. Also find a color that match the VW Lotus white 282... The Revell VW I used and the transkit are for a VW t2 post '73, that had to be converted to a pre '73... Over all a lot of fun! :D

On 5/17/2023 at 3:41 PM, cobraman said:

Super cool !

Thank you!

On 5/19/2023 at 12:52 PM, Pierre Rivard said:

Wonderful build. Beautiful detailing and finishes. Such a wonderful and efficient way to go racing.

Today's F1 claims to achieve carbon neutral yet they need about 10 semis to carry a car, parts, etc...

Thank you! Now it's crazy compared with the 70's... Each team has 3 semi, and the trailr can be transorm in double decker. 

As the others have said that is some excellent modeling of a somewhat obscure subject. I do remember seeing pictures of race cars being transported on the backs of VW trucks, but if I remember correctly most of them were of the Formula Vee variety or the occasional VW drag car. To actually see an F1 like that is mind-blowing.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

13 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

As the others have said that is some excellent modeling of a somewhat obscure subject. I do remember seeing pictures of race cars being transported on the backs of VW trucks, but if I remember correctly most of them were of the Formula Vee variety or the occasional VW drag car. To actually see an F1 like that is mind-blowing.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

Thank you! Mostly because not a lot of people could afford a F1 car... :D 

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! This is a super cool build, Fabrizio. I have thought about building this same racing set-up of Pete Lovely's VW & Lotus, but suspect it is one I will never get too (there are many of those). I'm glad to see someone create this combo in scale, and especially having done as nice a job of it as you have. Very nice work all around. The tie-downs look great, and you nailed the Lotus' graphics. I love it! Thanks for posting.

On 5/23/2023 at 10:19 PM, Bills72sj said:

That is a way cool combo.

Thank you!

On 5/24/2023 at 2:34 AM, afx said:

Another great build from your bench.

I was hoping to get it done sooner... Thank you!

On 5/24/2023 at 8:06 AM, Phildaupho said:

Delightful model and very well done. Pete continued to race his Lotus at vintage events into this century.

Years ago I almost went with to visit his collection. The person invited me was a member of a Lotus group. Unfortunately I didn't go... Thank you!

11 hours ago, Bainford said:

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! This is a super cool build, Fabrizio. I have thought about building this same racing set-up of Pete Lovely's VW & Lotus, but suspect it is one I will never get too (there are many of those). I'm glad to see someone create this combo in scale, and especially having done as nice a job of it as you have. Very nice work all around. The tie-downs look great, and you nailed the Lotus' graphics. I love it! Thanks for posting.

Thank you! I know the feeling, I have so many projects waiting... I start to work on the Lotus in 2017, on and off, building other models meanwhile. But yeah, 5 years ago... 

19 hours ago, bbowser said:

Amazing, both the model and the real thing!  F1 on a shoestring.

Thank you! Now it would be impossible to race this way.

9 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Wow! What a unique combo. I can hardly believe the real thing. And your build is really great.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...