Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell spray chrome test.

Can-Con

Got some this morning and tested it out on a couple parts I had laying around.

No real prep, just made sure they were clean and dust free as possible and sprayed right from the can. This has only been drying for about 6 hours and is already pretty durable. I think it will be as safe to handle as any other model paint after it's dried longer.

Here's an old resin bumper I cast years ago.

2v2eBJ2Vux2A694.jpg

2v2eBJ2g2x2A694.jpg

,, and sitting on a chrome tree for comparison.

2v2eBJ2Lox2A694.jpg

A Jo-Han 442 front bumper that had poor chrome. Just pulled it off the car, cleaned it up a bit with a toothbrush and a bit of water to get the dust off and sprayed strait from the can, as the rest of the stuff in these pics,,

2v2eBJ243x2A694.jpg

2v2eBJ2W3x2A694.jpg

2v2eBJ25ox2A694.jpg

2v2eBJ2q9x2A694.jpg

, , , and here's the kicker,, an old MPC Cragar sprayed on the right compared to a brand new wheel on the left,,

2v2eBJ3yax2A694.jpg

So, while not 100% as shiny as kit plating, it's almost there. Some probably will prefer this over kit plating. Certainly better then most chrome sprays and super easy, just spray it on.
I will be using this in the future for probably anything I need chromed.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

may be better with a black paint coating first...

I doubt it would make a difference Al. 

This stuff it pretty opaque and goes on pretty thick and evaporates down unlike Alclad and a few others that need a basecoat and go on in mist coats.

But I think I'll dig out something molded in black and shoot it later to see if there's a difference.

8 hours ago, Rodent said:

I have had much the same great results with Spaz Stix directly over damaged kit chrome. I am curious to see how the Revell looks over black or something else that wasn't originally a chrome part.

Steve, the wheel I sprayed were molded in grey and were never plated originally. They were from an MPC dodge van with the big hotrod decals on the sides.

20 hours ago, espo said:

The finish looks a little more realistic compared to the "kit chrome". 

Agreed, it has a nice scale-correct appearance IMHO. Pricey, but factoring in the cost (or even availability) of plating these days, it might not be so bad viewed as cost-per-model basis. It's an impressive finish for sure.

• Like 2

I not a fan of Revell paint products, most of these products a junk. But this chrome spray is very good, except for its price. This gives the best chrome effect in scale modeling. Like the other chrome paints you can't clear coat it and you have to be very careful when you grab the parts. you can rub it of or it dulls when touched.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dragline said:

I spray Alclad and Spazz Stix over light gray gloss enamel with excellent results. The issue is always handling. Keep it to a minimum and it's good.

This hat and valve covers are Spazz Stix.

20220822_185757.jpg

I've also used Alclad in the past with great results but this doesn't need a basecoat or to be airbrushed.

I'm assuming this is referencing the durability questions.

Edited by Can-Con

15 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I've also used Alclad in the past with great results but this doesn't need a basecoat or to be airbrushed.

I'm assuming this is referencing the durability questions

You would be correct. Not the shine since that is clear here. But it is delicate to say the least.

41 minutes ago, Dragline said:

You would be correct. Not the shine since that is clear here. But it is delicate to say the least.

I've only sprayed is 2 days ago but it's already pretty durable with normal handling. 

The Revell parts with factory chrome I'm working with right now are scuffing up more then these are.

I'm thinking it should be more durable after more drying time but only time will tell. 

• Like 1

The evidence seems fairly clear. It makes parts chrome and in a very scale way. I think durability is only a minor issue, but it is important that it can endure some minor handling and stay as bright as when first shot. Other than the entrance fee it is a promising product.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, carsntrucks4you said:

I not a fan of Revell paint products, most of these products a junk. 

Not to drag this thread sideways but could you elaborate on this?  I've seen  online reviews and pics posted here of kits painted with their enamels, and they seem to be a quality product.   

I'm asking because I'm thinking of using their Fiery Red on a future project, and I really don't want to have any paint issues (rare kit).

47 minutes ago, Monty said:

Not to drag this thread sideways but could you elaborate on this?  I've seen  online reviews and pics posted here of kits painted with their enamels, and they seem to be a quality product.   

I'm asking because I'm thinking of using their Fiery Red on a future project, and I really don't want to have any paint issues (rare kit).

It's more of opinion than fact. Revell paints are very good. I've been using both the Email (enamel) and Aqua Color acrylics for just about 40 years and never had a problem with either.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

I had tried several times Revell Germany acryl paints and these are worse. The result after painting is not compareable to Tamiya or zero piants. The enamel paints are ok.. Since I had switched to Zero paints and Tamiya I'm happy.