Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1956 Chevy Del Ray

Sidney Schwartz

Saw some very nice example of this one posted here and decided to give it a go. Did a test build using tacky glue and found a couple of minor issues...overall it's a better than average kit, IMO. I really like the way the paint job came out...it's pretty much how I envisioned it. The only thing I'm not happy with is that the front end looks too high. This seems to happen with a lot of the kits I build. On this one I took it apart and rebuilt the tub to make sure everything was snug, but that didn't seem to make any difference. Any suggestions on how to avoid this? Thanks for looking. 

20230522_135720.jpg.49a4e800fc3045eaec2acae4307a19e8.jpg

20230522_135731.jpg.61618253d1499057b0052f38910f9b2b.jpg

20230522_135748.jpg.bc32e469c9174a27437220c039e44065.jpg

20230522_134621.jpg.a044c7b67d264c1d55b45add3d8eb6f7.jpg

20230522_140445.jpg.0cc837fa35e3b83629901c4e800b298b.jpg20230522_134647.jpg.41fdef4fc423265afcc683011caf514c.jpg

tub1.jpg.1752b434026273900d9cefb3ab9ed572.jpg

tub2.jpg.88c376289428f9c8ae6fb769749983b1.jpg

• Like 9

Great looking little Chevy. You mention the nose high stance. The front spindles may not be seated all the way into their mounting points. The paint and trim look nice and cleanly done as does the interior. 

The suspension on this one is pretty simple. The lower control arms, spindles and the center piece connecting them are all one piece. There's no adjustment possible without modfying the piece. That piece fits onto the frame, and it's fit as snuggly as possible...there's no extra room. The only thing I can think of is that the tub is not fitting as closely as it should and keeping the frame from fitting properly. I tried several times to get the tub to fit as tight as possible, but I'm guessing it's still not right. It's frustrating because it's so hard to see what's going on when it's all assembled, and what needs to be adjusted. I suspect the dashboard.

20230522_190243.jpg.ed179594f8c8a316a3c72f17d4eb56a1.jpg

Hello Sidney,

yes, a very fine build! Color fits well to the era and you did a good job on the details.🤙

Yup, the stance is frustrating, I can believe that. Could be several reasons. Usually there is a bit of space between the tub and the undercarriage. The fit of the dash or the windshield could be a problem. Sometimes one has to grind or sand off a few millimeters. Diamond files come very handy for this, they have different shapes to even get into a half build model. It could also be the firewall, my first choice. Yours looks like it doesn´t fit correctly and keeps the chassis from sliding into place. One could grind/sand/cut small slices off the firewall until it fits correctly.

In the end don´t be afraid to alter the stance by setting the wheels into a different position. There are a lot of opportunities to work the suspension to make it fit better. Styrene loves to be cut, drilled and rearranged. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Great build and the color is perfect for it. I don't remember having this issue when I built mine. One other thing that could interfere is the engine bell sitting too high , maybe the engine is resting on the firewall. Most of the time for me , it's the windshield / dashboard / tub fitment that causes most problems. If you did not put too much glue on the body/chassis ass'y, you could try to separate it and check a few points where the frame touches . It may take some time to find out but once you found the problem, it relatively easy to fix. Plastic is easy to work with. You can also leave it as it is, it looks awesome just the same. 

Nice work! Love the color scheme. 

Not to hijack, but I built one of these not long ago

and one of the issues I had but forgot to mention was the ride height. Turns out the side tops of the firewall were causing it to make the frame stick out and the interior tub not fit. Had to trim lots of the firewall mainly the sides that curve up inside the front fenders, and glue it to the engine bay. That mostly solved the frame sticking out and lowering the height to where I wanted. Also, if the issue you built is the recent 2 in 1 release, I believe it had a custom front suspension option that had the spindles lower than the stock one. 

Edited by RickRollerLT1

Beautiful paint, and color combination! I was originally going to comment that you could shave the mounting pins for the front suspension, but looking at pic #2, you can see a gap between the body & frame. That makes me agree with the previous comments about the interior tub/firewall area. 

On 5/23/2023 at 10:26 AM, Andy Oldenburg said:

Hello Sidney,

yes, a very fine build! Color fits well to the era and you did a good job on the details.🤙

In the end don´t be afraid to alter the stance by setting the wheels into a different position. There are a lot of opportunities to work the suspension to make it fit better. Styrene loves to be cut, drilled and rearranged. Keep up the good work!

#1, i agree with Sidney.

On all models i've built the last years, i built it completly and fitted the wheels at last. Not on a handfull the high was "my taste" or the wheels were "perfect" in the wheelhouses. often i cut the pins and glue the backside from the wheels on the mountigspots. often one side after the other, so i can adjust the wheels and not having a "threewheeler" at the end.

9 hours ago, RickRollerLT1 said:

Nice work! Love the color scheme. 

Not to hijack, but I built one of these not long ago

and one of the issues I had but forgot to mention was the ride height. Turns out the side tops of the firewall were causing it to make the frame stick out and the interior tub not fit. Had to trim lots of the firewall mainly the sides that curve up inside the front fenders, and glue it to the engine bay. That mostly solved the frame sticking out and lowering the height to where I wanted. Also, if the issue you built is the recent 2 in 1 release, I believe it had a custom front suspension option that had the spindles lower than the stock one. 

Agreed. if i remember right, i had the same issue, that the firewall fitted not correct in place.