Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAMIYA FERRARI FXX

chris coller

set1513.jpg

set1512.jpg

These are the only two good pics I could get and don't even know how good they are. Not to the high standards as the other posted on here. This thing seems to be fightin me tooth and nail. I will post more pics if I can get some better ones. So here is the run down on the parts used for this mess:

Crazy Modeler photo etch set (very nice by the way)

Scale Motorsport and Studio 27 Carbon fiber decals

MFH heat sheild

I did weather the exhaust which is barely seen but still looks good. Going to add somme oil and cooling lines ala Mr Thibideau.(spelling?)

Body panels are taped up and in primer. It will painted with Zero Rossa Corso red. Sorry for the folks taht dont' like red Ferrrai's. Hopefully coated with two part clear. Hence the cash flow issue I current am experiencing.

I know the feeling about finishing projects. I also have the Tamiya Enzo that I paln on building. Hope I can come up with better results with that than what this thing is coming out. I did leran some things building this. Did you enjoy the Revell Enzo? I have seen it build up nice.

• 2 months later...

Alright after some procrastinating and some inspiration from the NNL East I decided to get this project up and rolling again. With some minor set backs and not being happy with some aspects of this build here are some updates. The body is painted Rosso Corsa from Zero paints. It still needs to be cleared so the paint isn't to shiney. Carbon fiber from Scale Motorsport and Studio 27. Gotta say the new SMS decals since they switched to Cartograf are phenomenal to work with. So here you go. Comments and crituques are welcome!

set1630.jpg

set1631.jpg

set1632.jpg

set1637.jpg

set1638.jpg

set1633.jpg

set1639.jpg

This is really looking good Chris! The carbon fiber against the red is fantastic.

I'm curious about the underside trays.. is there good suspension detail hidden there? I want to leave all these pans off every time I run into them for the sake of viewing and ###### reality.

Chassis detail is awesome as with any Tamiya kit. If you were to take off the pans the model would just not look right. I don't know how Dave felt about doing carbon fiber work, but I was getting frustrated from time to time. I have been working on this for over a year off and on. Loosing intrest multiple times along the way. The next step is 2 part clear to add the depth to the decals and paint. Thanks for the comments!

Chris, if you were having problems I certainly cannot see them. It all appears to be coming together in great fashion. Since you are the builder you know the shortcomings none of us see, and that is fine since you will be most critical of your own work.

I see a beautiful race car with exceptional CF mastering. The paint looks great and I can only imagine what the clear will do.

I've got this kit as well and am too afraid to attempt it just yet. I have yet to master the CF decals. I'm unsure of why I can't seem to get them to do what I want. Yet I am able to apply regular decals with no problems. A mystery for sure. I'm sure as you know, that patience is the key with them. I think I have that part down, just that they need to cooperate.

I've been haggling the guys who do exceptional CF work for details, tips and tricks. Have you any to share?

I look forward to your RED Ferrari under glass. Nothing wrong with red at all.

Keep the updates rolling.

Chris

Thanks guys! Chris, the best advice I can give you is make templates usuing the pieces you want to decal as the basis of your shape. Also Tamiya tape to help with odd pieces that you really cant trace. Keep in mind to flip the shapes over if you are doing two of the same type of piece. I use dilluted micro-sol with water added as the dillutant. A hair dryer comes into paly to get the decals to conform to the shape. If there are curved areas make releases in the decal to help remove wrinkles. Then hit them with the low heat setting on your hair dryer. Hope that helps.

Chris, if there is anything else you want to know send me a PM. I am more than willing to divulge my "secrets" if you will.

Thanks again guys.

• 5 months later...

Small update on a never ending build. Atleast it seams that way. Got the body panels cleared and decaled. Going to throw another coat of clear on it and polish it out. I have a little paint work left to do, hope I have enough left to paint the inside wing uprights. I think I didn't assemble it properly due to some of the fit issues I have. It's okay though because the doors and engine cover will be displayed opened.

set11125.jpg

set11126.jpg

set11127.jpg

set11128.jpg

set11129.jpg

Small update on a never ending build. Atleast it seams that way. Got the body panels cleared and decaled. Going to throw another coat of clear on it and polish it out. I have a little paint work left to do, hope I have enough left to paint the inside wing uprights. I think I didn't assemble it properly due to some of the fit issues I have. It's okay though because the doors and engine cover will be displayed opened.

The fit problems that you experienced are probably not your fault. Tamiya designed this kit to a very close tolerance and a coat of paint will cause things to not fit properly. This was true when I wrote this article for the first Enzo build. http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=30

These tolerances have not changed with the FXX kit. Sorry that I didn't post this earlier as I am sure it would have saved some issues with the build. Perhaps it will be of use to others who come behind.

Thanks guys. Most of the fit issues are on the bottom of the car which isn't that big a deal. But the cost of the kit and how much money I spent on carbon fiber and photo etch kind a makes me feel disappointed. I do like the way the car is turning out though if that makes sense. Once I get the clear on it and display it with the doors and engine cover opened I think all will be forgotten.

Dave T was an inspiration on this car. His layout of it in the mag (JULY 07) was simply incredible. I had the kit before that was published. That was just the motivation I needed. I lost interest in it because I wanted to use 2 part clear on it and wasn't to familiar with the process of using it. I have PPG 2 part and it works well but I can't seem to find consistancy with it. Due dillagence will pay off. I am practicing on slot car bodies. I will be clearing it again in a few days and hope to finish it up within the next week. Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Have you considered using magnets to allow formpanelsmtomto be installed/removed as desired? I'm used just such methods now on many of my builds because the small rare earthmagnets can be placed within components and finished over making thin unseen.