Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fugimi Lamborghini Countache 5000 qv: Finished

David G.

Hello Everybody!

This is the Lamborghini Countache 5000 quattrovalvoli kit by Fujimi. I've always wanted to build one of these. Well, it's more accurate to say that I've always wanted to own one of these cars but since that that is unlikely to happen, I'll have to settle for building and owning a model of one.

87_Lambo_00.jpg.1e54d840e9c7977b7d38a30ff893c0db.jpg

This is where the love affair first started. Well, sort of. I remember first learning of the car when I was about eleven or twelve years old. I saw a photo of one on a magazine cover at a local supermarket and I was immediately smitten. Sometime in 1985 I purchased this poster at a bookstore and I've kept it for these past 37 years, still (mostly) in the original shrink wrap. This is my inspiration for building the model.

87_Lambo_01.jpg.f7448c5b6fbc5de253f3f88edda0faa0.jpg

This build was quite a challenge for me, it's a good kit but rather fiddly. For those who may be interested in the details, here is a link to the WIP thread on the MCM forum.

87_Lambo_68.jpg.b4652dbe80389722aa0f66c1c2738c63.jpg

The right side profile with the door that gave me all the trouble. It didn't come out too bad I guess. 

87_Lambo_69.jpg.390d89dcea5647ab0322b05cf6829ab5.jpg

The Iconic spoiler, any effects imparted by it are purely aesthetic.

87_Lambo_70.jpg.dc474bf2748b10c562f6dab597ee3856.jpg

I spent a lot of time detail painting the tail lights. They started as totally clear castings. I used multiple maskings and multiple coats of various paints to achieve what is seen here.

87_Lambo_71.jpg.9d49baee06e581246c3ba18bf5808dae.jpg

Fujimi provided a couple of different license plates, or number tags depending on what part of the world you're used to inhabiting. I decided to use the Japanese ones. I thought they looked cool and seemed appropriate.

87_Lambo_72.jpg.27db548eb27216358fc2504d99ed6f54.jpg

Here's the left side profile. This door was much easier to work with and mostly fell into place as it was meant to. 

87_Lambo_73.jpg.ca0b92772c33d627c0200080077042cb.jpg

The classic Lamborghini Countache. In my opinion, one of the world's best looking automobiles.

87_Lambo_74.jpg.0f99e4de0c89971150369b47c29c4f58.jpg

Fujimi does make a full-detail version of this kit and many of those additional features, hide-away headlights, opening boot and engine cover and others, are included in this version. I could have incorporated these "ghost features" as I came to think of them into this build but chose not to for a couple of reasons.

First, though the parts were there, there was no mention of them in the instruction sheet, no directions for using them. I'm sure I could have looked them up online but that leads into the second reason.

Second, this kit as provided was already complicated and very fiddly and I felt that had I tried to use some of the ghost features completing the model would take much longer. Assuming I would complete it at all.

87_Lambo_75.jpg.e0696eadcf8a362ab188c1832358451a.jpg

Yes, the doors are operational and work (for the most part) as they are meant to.

87_Lambo_76.jpg.cc0fcd04b55fa4406bd5fd63c3c74cd6.jpg

A shot of the nicely detailed interior. The gauges are decals provided by Fujimi but I made an acetate cover to go over them.

87_Lambo_77.jpg.030ad14ee83cd85fa7ed8cc97c928504.jpg

The dash looks a little dusty. I should get in there with some canned air and blow it off.

87_Lambo_78.jpg.fc22bd1e46b17afc37aef73d04bb9f74.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to post a comment.

David G. 

• Like 9

Great result, indeed!  I can see all of the fine details that you took care of.

I know older Fujimi auto kits aren't the best to work with especially when they add custom body trims to create another kit. 

I got punched a couple of times thinking Fujumi kits to be another Tamiya brand. :)

Overall, looking at the finished product, I can witness the tremendous efforts and skills went into building this.  Nice job!

22 hours ago, Flatout said:

Nice build David…such an iconic car and very realistic looking.  One of the best things about building models is being able to build something you could never afford in 1:1.

Thank you Pete. Yes, model building allows us to enjoy cars that we could never afford or once had but could never get back again.

22 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Those Fujimi Lambo kits are great and you did a super job on this one. The opening doors are a plus.

Thank you Rich. This is my first Fujimi kit and I have to say while there is a lot there to work with, it takes a lot of work to bring it out.

21 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice build of one of the most extremes street-legal cars ever, David!

Thank you Helmut. It certainly is an attention grabbing car and I'm glad to have one in my collection.

21 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Beautifully done David! Sometimes it is satisfying to stick with a "tough build" until the end. 😉

Thank you Mathias. I couldn't agree more, I'm glad I stuck with this one.

21 hours ago, Jim B said:

Very nice Lamborghini. 

Thanks Jim.

16 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Very nice.  And in the classic white like you always saw in the posters back then.

Thanks Eric. It's that poster that inspired me to build this.

16 hours ago, cifenet said:

Great result, indeed!  I can see all of the fine details that you took care of.

I know older Fujimi auto kits aren't the best to work with especially when they add custom body trims to create another kit. 

I got punched a couple of times thinking Fujumi kits to be another Tamiya brand. :)

Overall, looking at the finished product, I can witness the tremendous efforts and skills went into building this.  Nice job!

Thank you Steve. There were things I liked about this kit and things that I didn't much care for. For example, most of the parts were well cast and nicely detailed but had some unfortunate sprue attachment points. 

Like the fender flares.

87_Lambo_32.jpg.16ec7478353f325baf1b8f37e1e392f7.jpg

And there were no pins or indicators for placing them or the chin spoiler on the body. But I'm happy with the end results, it just took more time and energy to get there than I would have liked.

14 hours ago, mrm said:

Very well done. White is, in my opinion, the best color for the Countach. 

ThanksMichael. White is the only way to go with the Countache. Red is for fire trucks and Ferraris! :D 

8 hours ago, Force said:

It came out very nice David.

Thank you Håkan.

8 hours ago, charger74 said:

Very well done 👍🏻👍🏻

Thank you Eric, I appreciate that.

7 hours ago, Street Rod said:

Great job on a great car!

Thank you Doyle.

1 hour ago, beeRS said:

Well done on completing this tricky kit. Turned out great!  
White is also the poster car colour I had of the Countach when I was a teenager. 

Thanks Sonny. As you may know, I still have mine.

1 hour ago, H.A.K said:

That came out great. WOW!!!! Very very nice.

Thank you Samuel, I'm glad you like it.

Thanks again for all your comments. And thanks to those of you who followed me through the build and encouraged me to complete this challenging kit.

David G. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thank you Chris.

21 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I had that exact poster on my wall growing up. :)

I think your build looks great!

Thanks Dan, I'm sure that that poster was an inspiration to many. Thanks for your kind comment.

David G.

On 5/30/2023 at 5:51 AM, atomicholiday said:

This turned out excellent.  Top notch work!

Thanks Jeremy, I appreciate that.

23 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Very nicely done. Thanks for posting.

Thank you Dan, I'm glad you like it.

23 hours ago, Bainford said:

Very cool Lambo, David. Nice work on the tail lights. They are always a tricky part of any Countach build, but you did a great job of it. Overall, very nicely done.

Thank you Trevor, I'm quite pleased with the way they turned out. I'm rather happy with the car overall too. Thanks again for your comment.

David G.