Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let me start off by saying that some of the projects I've seen on here are insane and way beyond my capabilities. This will be the first WIP post I've done, so be kind. I unfortunately do not have the patience for the super-detailing, but I do alright by my standards.

I had posted up some pics of one of our museum trucks a couple weeks ago and then landed a trade with Dave for a 359 kit. Not a super detailed kit by any stretch, but very workable. I ran some oil and vent lines on the really nice 3406 B Cat motor:

DSCN2981.jpg

DSCN2980.jpg

Before shooting some light metallic blue Duplicolor, I ran some airlines to the rear airbags and rear diff. I didn't mess with the brake lines or the the front diff as you really can't see them. I also raided my daughter's bead box for a heim joint for the torsion bar.

DSCN2988.jpg

The tires in the kit, for the lack of a better term, suck. I raided the parts box for a set of an old tanker trailer. The look great on the drives, although they need to be straightened out just a hair. The steers are the best of the ten supplied in the kit.

DSCN2984.jpg

I have the air deflector from the RG Pete kit that will work perfectly with some new bracing and an old Great Dane trailer for it. The biggest hurdle is going to be the stripes on the cab. I've never had the best of luck with two tone.

More to come!

Hi,

You´re on a good start.It´s looking nice what you have done so far.

Your detailing also is fine.My actual truck will get a lot of detailing but I don´t do that with all my models...Sometimes I´ll do some more and sometimes less detailing.If there are some lines where you can look through the frame and on the engine this will be enough normally....

So keep up the good work.

Regards,Chris

Folks, thanks for all the compliments.

Unfortunately, thing being what they are, I have been laid off from my nice cushy office job with Werner and am headed back on the road as a driver trainer. Soooo, the project will be "shelved" for a couple weeks until the next hometime rolls around. I did, however, pic up my black 387 today w/ a C-15 Cat. If anyone wants detail pics, lemme know.

Chris

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update on this one. I couldn't believe it had been almost 4 months!

Squirted some light metallic blue Dupli-color down about a month ago and then hit some dark blue this afternoon. Started some gold strips on the driver side, then ran out. Oh, well. Off to the LHS.

IMG00059.jpg

IMG00024.jpg

"Let me start off by saying that some of the projects I've seen on here are insane and way beyond my capabilities. This will be the first WIP post I've done, so be kind. I unfortunately do not have the patience for the super-detailing, but I do alright by my standards."

you seem to be on the right track with building and detailing. detail where you can see and let it go. super detailing is a nice challenge... but is not required. i could have detailed everything on my last pete but the judges would never see most of it. keep up the clean work....you have talent my friend.

That's a mighty fine re-creation of the paintjob. Excellent.

Now, what is parked across from me is a blast from the Werner past. A late 80s Kenworth K100 Aerodyne C.O.E. that still has the strpies on the side. It sure brings back memories. If it's still here in the morning, I'll grab a few pix.

That's a mighty fine re-creation of the paintjob. Excellent.

Now, what is parked across from me is a blast from the Werner past. A late 80s Kenworth K100 Aerodyne C.O.E. that still has the strpies on the side. It sure brings back memories. If it's still here in the morning, I'll grab a few pix.

I just happened to see one of those in the Kansas City area the other day and had to smile.

As for the gold, it's the Pactra Line Trim tape. I had bought it years ago for a Trans AM kit and it somehow multiplied into blue and black rolls as well... It's amazing what you find when you move.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Been a while since I have worked on this, but a quick update...

I had run out of the pactra tape and wasn't happy with the way some of it laid down. If you stretch it the least bit, it has a tendency to shrink over time. I peeled off what I had done and decided to try my hand at pin striping. I know I'm not overly steady, so some tape was in order.

b2872070.jpg

Some gold paint and viola!

5114c823.jpg

7fae5b24.jpg

Not bad. Now to tape off the top stripe and the hood.

Edited by Murphy's Law