Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show Rods and Green Olives

It used to be when I was younger I couldnt stand green olives. Nasty little salty funky things. Then as time when on, I tried them again and hmmmmm these are kinda good. Show rods to me used to be impractical, ugly, and useless machines. Now thanks to the user on here "Showrodfreak" I have seen and started to gain a new appreciation for these machines. They are way outside normal thinking. Some of them I'll never care for, but others just trip a trigger somewhere I havent had tripped before.

After looking at a link Mr. showrodfreak posted, it got the ol' mind a spinnin. Then I got the new issue of Rod and Custom yesterday. Low and behold was an old showrod on the cover. The Ice Truck. Low and wide with a blown nailhead. How cool! The craftsmanship is first rate, and the design is just awesome.

Dont really know the point of this post. I'm thinking maybe after the 59 Kaddy model is done, it will be time for a showrod.

Thanks Showrodfreak for the inspiration.

I kinda know what you mean! My tastes for types of models and scales have changed over the last couple of years. I am currently liking the 70's style and some of the old shor rods. Though I can never settle on a box build, I always need to change something or add something. LOL. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Jody

Well, at 50 years old, I have always had a soft spot for the crazy, whacky Show Rod models from back in the day when I was a young kid. I hang out at showrods.com on the Coffin Corner, and have been for years (like Don aka...Showrodfreak) It's gonna be a great year for the show rodders too, as AMT now leased by Tom Lowe, and his big helper John Greczula, both of which are big show rod fans as seen by a few reissues......Lil Stogie, Depth Charger, and Royal Rail. Revell is hot on the trail with some great old Tom Daniel show rods coming back.....Tijuana Taxi, Dragon Wagon, and Rommel's Rod. I have amassed a big collection of older show rod models over my years as a model builder/collector, and enjoy seeing these rare jems come back. In the real 1/1 car world we have great guys that are bringing back some of the original Show Rods from the sixties and seventies this past few years, greats like Darryl Starbird, Mark Moriarity, Dave Shuten, Fritz Schenk, Arron Grote, to name a few, and these gents are restoring, and creating new kustoms with Ed Roth herritage. I for one love the resurgence in wonderful memories from a great time in life. Here is my latest Show Rod clone the "Lil Hotdogger" this was done using a reissued Lil Stogie kit, and a Dave Van laser body kit. All the little pieces such as the interior parts, air cleaner, hydrant tail light, etc were scratch built to make it as close to an original as possible....

P1010005-1.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

Long live Show Rods!!! and here's a great place...... http://www.showrods.com

It used to be when I was younger I couldnt stand green olives. Nasty little salty funky things. Then as time when on, I tried them again and hmmmmm these are kinda good. Show rods to me used to be impractical, ugly, and useless machines. Now thanks to the user on here "Showrodfreak" I have seen and started to gain a new appreciation for these machines. They are way outside normal thinking. Some of them I'll never care for, but others just trip a trigger somewhere I havent had tripped before.

After looking at a link Mr. showrodfreak posted, it got the ol' mind a spinnin. Then I got the new issue of Rod and Custom yesterday. Low and behold was an old showrod on the cover. The Ice Truck. Low and wide with a blown nailhead. How cool! The craftsmanship is first rate, and the design is just awesome.

Dont really know the point of this post. I'm thinking maybe after the 59 Kaddy model is done, it will be time for a showrod.

Thanks Showrodfreak for the inspiration.

WOW and double WOW. I'm glad I Inspirer Someone. :lol:

Go for it Kanel Kustoms. Give it your best shot. I'd love too see your in progress work on this. ;)

VIVA la Showrods

don v ( showrodfreak )

p.s. I'm also doing something in 1/8 scale I'll post it this weekend in BIG BOYS TOYS threat :)