Model Cars Magazine Forum

1992 Mercury Cougar XR-7S Concept Cabrio

Tumbler75

I first off want to say Hello People! I'm new here at MCM and have seen a ton of great works here. Figured I'd join in on the fun. Name is Jason, currently residing in Kansas City, MO and I'm 33 yrs old.

Well this car is a spin off of a 1:1 Concept Car I saw online. I like the style of the Mercury Cougar and when I saw it in convertible form I knew I had to build it. It took me 2 yrs of long hard work to graft parts from a 1992 Mustang to the Cougar and make it all blend together. It has a custom Scratchbuilt Front Bumper, Solder Exhaust Tips, Mustang Interior Tub Rear Half and Front Seats, 3.8L Supercharged Engine from the 92 T-Bird Kit, Wheels from defunct Satco America. Enjoy!

CC1.jpg

CC2.jpg

CC9.jpg

CC15.jpg

CC18.jpg

CC19.jpg

More Pics here: http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/Tumbler75/Completed%20Model%20Cars/1992%20Mercury%20Cougar%20Cabrio/

Edited by Tumbler75

Thanx for the comments guys. If I didn't live clear across the country right now I would go attend the NNL. I'd have to spruce up the ole girl for the shindig too. I had a ton of fun building this one off custom and I have plenty of more to come in the future. Again Thanx guys.

"The Michelangelo Of Plastic"

Not at ALL proud of yourself are you? ;)

If you can't toot your own horn, though... :P

Your Cougar looks great though, seriously!!

I have one of similar design in my stalled projects pile. (a Hardtop)

So uhm...2 questions:

Any pics of the 1:1?

What are your plans for the T-Bird?

The T-Bird is a back burner project as I might have to get another Cougar and Mustang to build a T-Bird Convertible to go along with this car. As far as calling myself, "The Michelangelo Of Plastic," I have heard it so much from friends and family members it has jus' sorta stuck. :P Here is some pics of the car that inspired me.

90convertible1.jpg

90convertible2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Technically, if this were to be a 1992 model, then it would have the 4.9L V8 used in the regular XR-7 coupe. The 1990 version, which was posted above, would have the supercharged V6 since they used it in the XR-7 until 1991.

It looks awesome otherwise, and it's too bad they didn't put it into production!

Edited by YJIslander

Thanx for the compliments guys. YJ, You don't get the "CONCEPT" of this build. I built it as IF FOMOCO would have built it as a Concept Car. The 1992 Cougar kit does come with the "5.0" V8 (I've built 4(!) of these) but I thought it'd be neat to see something different under the hood. Kinda like a "Shock Factor" type thing. I'm planning a "Super Cat" Version for the future since there is more great FoMoCo Engine Choices in Kit form now. Enjoy! :lol:

Thanx for the compliments guys. YJ, You don't get the "CONCEPT" of this build. I built it as IF FOMOCO would have built it as a Concept Car. The 1992 Cougar kit does come with the "5.0" V8 (I've built 4(!) of these) but I thought it'd be neat to see something different under the hood. Kinda like a "Shock Factor" type thing. I'm planning a "Super Cat" Version for the future since there is more great FoMoCo Engine Choices in Kit form now. Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Thing is though, people didn't like the supercharged V6 in the Cougar XR-7, which is why they switched to the V8. If they built the concept to feature the V6 again, it wouldn't make sense. If they were to build a concept on an existing model, they would most likely use the same engine, or something new, not something they already used and dropped due to customer demand. B)

Well there Yj, if you really wanted to get technical and this were a true 'Concept' in the purest form, then you would have seen the 'then brand new' 4.6L OHC engine (as it was introduced in the 1991 Lincolns and Mercury line of luxury cars) sitting between the fenderwells. So really, I do not see the 3.8SC as a very far stretch for this build.

By the way, this is a killer look for the car, and too bad either Ford or ASC didn't do it.........very nice.

Edited by whale392

Interesting story about this concept, Jason.

Now that you've moved a good bit east, will we see you at NNL East this year? I'm going to try and go. I'm staying overnight with a friend of mine who lives near New Paltz, N.Y., putting me about an hour and a half north of Wayne, so all going to plan, I'll be there.

Charlie Larkin

The time was well spent!

I like the "your build" Man!

It's "AWESOME!" Because it's "YOUR CONCEPT BUILD!"

The technical aspects be damned!

It's a "GREAT!" looking build Dude!

Nice and Clean!

Very SHARP!

I have several of the '69s and a few of the later Cats in my stash.

Thank You for sharing!

Later

Russ

B)

• 1 year later...

Time to blow off the dust yet again for this ole girl now that Spring/Summer has come around! My first real Kit-Bash and a totally enjoyable even tho very long build! I'm scouring Ebay for the parts and kits to do the Thunderbird version to go along with this car. Thanx again to all who commented on this build. B)