Model Cars Magazine Forum

58 chevy impala

plumnuts

well almost done with the 41 truck and desided to get away from the saw for a little bit.

picked up a 58 impala and the kit seems very nice. hood and trunk are already opened and all the body molding is casted in chrome. so plans for this are simple, wire and plumb engine compartment, set the back end on the ground! (a must) :P

and leave front up a little. run stocker wheels with white walls with the skirts in the back. and maybe put some pumps and battarys in the trunk.

i'll have to give BMF a try around the windows (wish me luck). :lol: I'v never been a big fan of lowriders, but after looking at the ones posted on the site ,I would like to give it a try. the key goal for me on this build is to create a super detailed and clean build. (thanks to evilone) for the motivation.

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

Edited by plumnuts

Sweet i have to see how this comes out.Im doing one but mine is going to be a traditional low low.If your gonna do wire wheels (if the stock rims and tires don't look right) go with pegasus #1109's i can swear by these they look real close to the real things.Im keeping an eye on this if you need any help bro im only a PM away :D .

Sweet i have to see how this comes out.Im doing one but mine is going to be a traditional low low.If your gonna do wire wheels (if the stock rims and tires don't look right) go with pegasus #1109's i can swear by these they look real close to the real things.Im keeping an eye on this if you need any help bro im only a PM away :D .

thanks for the input dude. the stockers don't fit with the stance I wanted so I will go all out with wire wheels.

would like to get a visual referance on how the top of a hydrolic cylinder looks. got them sticking through the floor in the trunk so I will put some hoses to em. don't know if I could devote alot of time to lowrider builds ,but I'm having fun building somthing out of my normal building stile, I'm sure I will be going back to the saw and building another hotrod after this,

maybe a choped channeled 32 sedan or somthing :D we'll have to see.

I'll post some more pics on this ride later.

thanks for the input dude. the stockers don't fit with the stance I wanted so I will go all out with wire wheels.

would like to get a visual referance on how the top of a hydrolic cylinder looks. got them sticking through the floor in the trunk so I will put some hoses to em. don't know if I could devote alot of time to lowrider builds ,but I'm having fun building somthing out of my normal building stile, I'm sure I will be going back to the saw and building another hotrod after this,

maybe a choped channeled 32 sedan or somthing :D we'll have to see.

I'll post some more pics on this ride later.

Yo go to layitlow.com there is alot of visuals there as well as alot of good guys to help you.If you dont want to do that hit up google and type in hydraulic cylinders in a car that should get you somewhere LOL.When it gets warm enough i'll post some pics of mine to give you some ideas.

• 1 month later...

sorry for the wait. this one wen't several directions, think I finally stoped on plan F. this build started in my head as a old skool lowrider. didn't care for the stock wheels and wide whites during mock up, another direction was going to be a low-low

and the wires just didn't do it for me. I probably mocked up 5 sets of wheels under this thing. after I decided on wheels I had to get the ride hight right. (say that fast 3 times) :) . after some long hours of stairing at this thing this is what I came up with. more of a low rod stile.

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

I actually tore it down from this state and sprayed paint on it.

body work was very minimal on this. no shaving or cutting. just cleaned up the molding lines.

well as I was saying, It went to paint shortly after my last post and wanted to show the color I chose for the LowRod.

it is HOK planet green, ;)

IMG_0928.jpg

I have to say that the chrome in this kit fit better than expected, well back to the bench to tear it down and start BMF and then final assy. later guys. B)

Beautiful.....but maybe it would look better w/ a white top?????

Either way, that paint is gorgeous. Gonna look great once it's finished.

Later-

man I went back and forth about a top in a different color such as white or silver, looked at several mags

and online and just went solid. thinking with all the chrome the body color top will look nice.

do think your right ,it would look nice with a white top, and would of went with that if I went with the stock wheels and white walls. B)

Very nice, I like it. I BMFed around my windows and it was pretty easy. I'm diggin the green, and definately better one color.

My 58.. modeled after my friends 1:1 '58.

Air ride, chrome reverse wheels, shaved gun sights, hood, trunk, and wipers.. sorry for bad pics

f62ca68a.jpg

impala.jpg

Edited by dge61785

almost done with the BMF on the body. couple more places and I can set it to the side and get to the interior.

IMG_0931.jpg

got the bar and emblem done on the hood to, the decal didn't look right on the hood. still need to wash the grill.

IMG_0932.jpg

went with the continental kit on the back for the lowrider look.

IMG_0934.jpg

this is my second attempt at foil and starting to feel good about it. got a long way to go, and lots more tricks to

figure out. thanks for looking..... B)

Have you decided which wheels you will use?

This really looks sharp.

yea. I'm going with the split 5 spoke its posted with. coulden't go with the stocks or wires, just a personal preferance of mine. do feel I accomplished what I started. a clean and detailed lowrider. or lowrod in this case. B)

see. I told you green looks good on these old chevys ;):D

You were right, now wait till you see this wicked black Cherry, still having issues with the hood of the 59 Street Scream'r, but the hehehehe the body is painted, just got to do some polishing and preping, but I gotta say brother you were right about that green, looks sharp...

well she is done! :) I'm glad I stuck with it, I feel good about what I was able to do. I'm trying to add elements to every build and this came out clean and that is what I was aiming for. got a pic of the upholstery and the finish pics will be under glass.

IMG_0942.jpg

its got alot of flaws in the foil ,but man those moldings and cranks are small . :lol:

hope you like and will come check out the finish product.