Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell '32 Ford 5-window coupe

Looking through the Revell website the other day I saw this picture of their new Deuce 5-window kit promised for this spring (hah!). I noticed quite a few significant differences with the kits offered so far. I know people are saying it will include a hemi engine in addition to or in lieu of the small block Ford, but the picture, which shows a flathead engine similar to that found in the Sedan kit, also shows several other tasty features that would have the potential to make this kit an important addition to the lineup because of its potential as a parts source. I've highlighted those features below. Does anyone know anything about this?

Revell5windowcopy.jpg

Edited by gbk1

Guest Davkin

I beleive that's a retouched photo of a real car, not a photo of a model so I don't think you can count on the released version to have all of those features. It would be nice to have a more traditional rod version of the Revell '32, so I do hope it does end up looking much like that photo. I'd like to see a more traditional wheel/tire set included though.

David

One reason I decided to ask and post this is because there's enough in that picture that resembles the sedan kit (the fat wires, engine, etc.) that I wondered if this was a next step evolution of the '32 series. I agree that it looks mighty like a retouched 1:1. If they actually went all the way to a kit that escaped the problems with the base '32 roadster kit from the late 90's it would sell like hotcakes, I'm sure!

Guest Chris V

Though all of these parts would be very nice to have in scale, I'm afraid that the picture only shows the Kelsey Hayes wheels from the '32 Sedan retouched onto a picture of a real car...

However, if anyone from Revell is reading this, I think it would be great if this tooling finally got a stock firewall, "hairpins", and a backdated rear suspension!

Actually, what people were saying is that the kit would include an "early example of a hemispherical head engine," which, in all likelihood, means an Ardun.

Actually, that makes much more sense. It would permit them to essentially re-release the sedan kit with the 5-window shell and fail to deliver on all the other cool stuff I indicated above.

Thanx for a really depressing reality check, everyone! ;):lol::lol::rolleyes:

Actually, what people were saying is that the kit would include an "early example of a hemispherical head engine," which, in all likelihood, means an Ardun.

IIRC, the recent reissue of the Revell '50 Ford pickup has Ardun heads for the street machine version. Those would be neat parts in one of the '32s.

I've bought several of the Revell '32s for parts kits over the years, but always took out the Ford 302s out to use in '60s-70s cars, along with the 5-spoke wheels...probably will build them eventually w/ flatheads and vintage style wheels/tires.

I heard that a 392 hemi was going to be in the kit. With the flathead parts as well, As it is primarily based on the sedan kit. I would prefer a hemi over an ardun! Because the ardun parts can already be sourced from another kit. I hope Revell gets this one out on time (hah)I want a case of these.

Gabriel :)

Same here!

The pic raises a question about that, too ... that car has a chopped roof. Wonder if Revell will go that route, or stock height, like the 3-window and the sedan?

I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer the latter.

I agree that the roof should be stock height. The recent Merc shows what happens when the model company makes the aesthetic choice for us. It limits what we can do with it.

Also, this is another piece of evidence that the posted picture is quite likely poor evidence of what the actual release will be like. Bummer ... it's just a tease and not real information. :angry:

I don't really think that's a valid comparison because anyone wanting to build a stock-bodied '49 Merc, or wanting to do their own bodywork, already had that option available to them in the form of the AMT kit, which was, and is, a perfectly good and serviceable model. What Revell did by producing its kit the way it did was give anyone wanting to build a chopped Merc the opportunity to do so without having to do perform a ton of bodywork or shell out for a pre-chopped resin body.

I, for one, appreciated Revell doing so, because I had wanted for years to build a chopped Merc, but lacked the skills to do the bodywork myself.

One could always argue, I suppose, that anyone who wants to build a stock-roof 5-window can always use the AMT kit, but, I think that argument falls apart when one considers how grossly inaccurate AMT's Deuce bodies are in comparison with Revell's.

I actually agree with what you say. But only because old AMT Merc kits are available in the auction market. Otherwise, we would be SOL. I think a chopped 5-window is far more problematic, since the AMT equivalent is not as easily available and, as you point out, not exactly the greatest replica around. I suppose I should be careful not to be snobbish and should, instead, appreciate the importance of Revell's commitment to our hobby and their chopped Merc in particular.

Same here!

The pic raises a question about that, too ... that car has a chopped roof. Wonder if Revell will go that route, or stock height, like the 3-window and the sedan?

I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer the latter.

I'm not convinced the Revell's '32 three window or (fairly) recent '32 sedan have stock height roof areas. The three window looks to have a slight chop, and I think the sedan looks that way as well. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

I have a fair amount of reference material for both body styles (in stock form), and I'd swear that they're both chopped (albeit slightly).

Let the debate begin !

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's an update, direct from Revell's 2009 catalog. Obviously a pic of an actual model.

First, for us trad oriented rodder types here's the good news:

• Hemi engine with nice headers and 2 four barrels.
  • Steelies with chrome rings
  • Hairpin radius rods!
  • Moon tank
  • Nerf Bars
  • Wide whites (but see bad news below)

• Same old funky firewall and single grill brace rod
    • Tires appear to be the same old wide width types offered on all the kits so far
    • No real clue regarding rear suspension - if you look carefully their might just be a hint of Ford style radius rods, but...

Still, as the expression goes, better than a poke in the eye...

Revell-5-window-catalog-pic-B-web.jpg

Revell's snap kit has the nicest '33-'34 coupe body ever tooled, IMO.

Isn't that one chopped though? Didn't Monogram have a 1:24th '33/34 3 window also? Seem to remember it released in black back in the '80s/90s...don't know if it was chopped. The only 3 window 33-34 kit I have is the '70s AMT issue.

... One part I'm particularly happy to see that you didn't mention, Bernie, is the blanking plate for the grill. It'll be nice to have another grill option for the '32 kits w/o having to shell out for resin parts or a photoetched set! ...

From what I can tell, (which admittedly isn't much), the rear suspension looks to be the same as the other kits.

I didn't mention it because I don't trust it (just like the rear suspension). Just becaiuse they stuck a decal on doesn't mean there's a blanking plate! Far cheaper to include a line in the instruction recommending sanding the grill smooth... But you're right, some significant parts box contributions seem to be promised with this release.

Edited by gbk1

OK, here's an update, direct from Revell's 2009 catalog. Obviously a pic of an actual model.

First, for us trad oriented rodder types here's the good news:

• Hemi engine with nice headers and 2 four barrels.
  • Steelies with chrome rings
  • Hairpin radius rods!
  • Moon tank
  • Nerf Bars
  • Wide whites (but see bad news below)

• Same old funky firewall and single grill brace rod
    • Tires appear to be the same old wide width types offered on all the kits so far
    • No real clue regarding rear suspension - if you look carefully their might just be a hint of Ford style radius rods, but...

Still, as the expression goes, better than a poke in the eye...

Revell-5-window-catalog-pic-B-web.jpg

I can't believe I'm just seeing this post! I guess I should branch out more often in the forum catagories.

It's great to see a '32 5w is comming out. The car in the picture is actually based (loosely) on a 1:1 5w that is a re-creation of an old drag-race coupe from the '50s or '60s. The re-creation was done in recent years by the Kennedy Brothers shop in Pomona, Ca. You can read about it and see some pictures here:

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/features/07...oupe/index.html

From what shows in the picture, the single biggest thing I'm excited about is finally, FINALLY there will be hairpin radius rods for the front suspension. It's rediculous that until now there has been no good recent offering of these parts regardless of the model or brand. (I wonder if they offer more traditional brakes to go with them?) The Hemi is a nice departure from the played-out SBF.

Probably the single biggest disapointment is the tires. They look to be the stereotypical Revell '32 tires with whitewalls added. When oh WHEN will a model company pull their heads out and offer a GOOD set of traditional and ACCURATE big and little bias-ply tires. Seriously, is it too much to ask?

... The car in the picture is actually based (loosely) on a 1:1 5w that is a re-creation of an old drag-race coupe from the '50s or '60s. The re-creation was done in recent years by the Kennedy Brothers shop in Pomona, Ca.

..I wonder if they offer more traditional brakes ... The Hemi is a nice departure from the played-out SBF.

Probably the single biggest disapointment is the tires. They look to be the stereotypical Revell '32 tires with whitewalls added. When oh WHEN will a model company pull their heads out and offer a GOOD set of traditional and ACCURATE big and little bias-ply tires. ...

Looks like you found the source car for this model. Someone on the TRaK board had suggested a Von Franco '32 from a few years back:

1stCoupe11.jpg

1stCoupe9.jpg

But your pics are even closer:

0710sr_02_z%201932_ford_five_window_highboy_coupe%20front_left_view.jpg

Looks like the same car in different stages of evolution....

In any case we will continue to be cursed with the 5.0 Ford in this kit as per the product description. And I seriously doubt that they will include those delicious seats in the Kennedy Bros. car:

0710sr_11_z%201932_ford_five_window_highboy_coupe%20seats.jpg

'32 Ford 5 Window Coupe Plastic Model Kit

Product ID: 85-4228

Overview

Skill Level 3

Scale: 1:25

Parts: 187

Description

...High boy style custom or full fender street rod custom with steel wheels or five spoke mags. Optional 5.0 liter Mustang engine or custom dual carburetor V8. Decals with optional custom graphics. Molded in white, transparent red and clear with chrome plated parts and black vinyl tires.

Of course the marketplace has provided for our frustrations by creating the aftermarket suppliers, as long as we have the sheckles to pony up for all those itty bitty custom parts (except for hairpins which, strangely, now one has ever offered...).

My favorite part of what's in the picture is the non-supercharged version of Revell's awesome rendition of the 392 HEMI!!

I could actually use this intake setup right now for the model I'm building. I want the early HEMI, but I really don't want to make a clearance hole in the hood to accommodate the blower and intake scoop that comes with Revell's '41 Willys engine setup.

Another project delayed waiting for the right parts to come along??? Probably not...

Later,