Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell '32 Ford 5-window coupe

the only thing i think that's run it's course with these Revell '32 kits is the tires! the roadster kit came with some different ones, but all others have used the same Goodyear Sports Car Specials, now with no lettering. could use something new here for sure!...

Which brings up an important point regarding wheels in general for this series of kits. The "Kelsey Hayes" wheels in the Tudor were ruined IMHO by the fact that they had to be wider to accommodate the tires that have been included in this kit since the very beginning. Massively too wide front and rear not to require significant narrowing for anything resembling old school. At the least this means the chrome is toast and for many builders it means either the car looks "wrong", significant work has to be invested in narrowing them, or they have to be avoided altogether. I recently saw a stunning '32 roadster at a show that was virtually perfect as an authentic late 40's replica, exquisitely turned out, but looking really dodgy on its Revell Tudor Kelsey Hayes and Goodyear Sports Car Specials.

The steelies in the new 5-window kit and the questionable whitewall decals are symptomatic of this problem. Of course, once you spec narrow tires what happens to the Torq-Thrusts? It's kind of like the small-block Ford issue - two retro motors vs. one each from each period. It's a very slippery slope down towards an all-old-school kit. The 29 RPU and 31 Sedan from Revell are prime examples of great parts kits that are almost too old school (no V8) and specialized to allow all but a distinctly retro or rat-rod build up. It just shows that you can't win and that kitbashing is the proper "compromise", allowing both creative flexibility for the modeler and increased kit sales for the manufacturer.

Having said all this, this kit is AWESOME as both a parts kit and as a stand alone kit. The obvious creativity and enthusiasm for making a top line product that the Revell guys are showing makes me optimistic for more great kits in the future.

Edited by gbk1

Great review Mr. Boyd. I'll have to hit the LHS and order a few. I just hope that, unlike all the kits I've had them order in the last year, it might actually show up.

Everybody talks about wanting parts packs back. Well Revell did bring some of them back about 10 years ago. 4 of their old engine parts packs, (Caddy, 427 Ford, Pontiac 389/421, & Chevy 327). How did they do? Bad enough to cause Revell to cancel the next scheduled reissue in their part packs, the Harley, Triumph & Honda motorcycles, which I really wanted. Bad enough to where you can occasionally still find them online or at swap meets at dirt cheap prices from vendors that can't get rid of them. They didn't sell well, just like back in the 60's, because just like in the 60's, modelers perceive the cost compared to a complete kit to be too high.

Your Kidding? I bought the store out the first time I saw them. I guess that is because Nostalgia Rods are not as popular as I think they should be.

Maybe they would do better with some up-to-date "Parts Packs". Like the modern wheel packs the Asia manufacturers have been selling so successfully.

The Five Window has been near the top of my list of must have kits for a long time, esp after more than several attempts at correcting the many inaccuracies in AMT's ill-proportioned '59 vintage tooling since it's 1st release. At first I was disappointed to learn that Revell didn't chop the roof, but after wrestling w/ Revell's chopped '49 Merc kit in order to correct the less than ideal shape and height of that kit's chopped roof, I'm kinda glad that they left the option of chopping (and how much) up to the kit builder! It's not at all hard to chop a '32 coupe, esp a 5 window, and everyone has their personal thoughts on just how much to chop a top, anyway.

As for not having a stock or hot-rodded flatmotor, in addition to the hot-rodded flathead in Revells' Tudor sedan, the stock engine (& trans) in Revell's '37 Ford trucks is supurb, and has the correct # of cylinder head studs for a '32 V8, as opposed to the later flatheads. The hot-rodded flatheads in Revell's '40 and '48 Ford kits are also excellent, and the revised Ardun heads in their '50 Ford pickup are usable (but the earlier released ones are not). Excellent resin bits are available from R&M and others to do up a more exotic flatmotor. Vintage suspension bits are also available in several of the aforementioned Revell kits, as well as the Model A crossmember & transverse 'buggy' spring in Revell's Model A kits, plus that found in AMT's venerable Model A roadster kit that's been around for decades. Other posters have already mentioned sources for traditional wheel & tire sets found in other Revell kits.

I especially welcome the new hairpin radius rods that will be in the Five Window kit, as nicely proportioned ones have been on my list of 'must-have someday' parts. The early Chrysler Hemi is most welcome, also, as is the louvered deck lid option. [fyi - the '32 roadster & five window body styles shared the same deck lid, so either the stock or louvered deck lid can be retrofiited into the roadster body] AMT's soon to be re-released "Dual Dragster" kit has many intake options for an early Hemi, plus the same for an early small block Chevy. The same parts can also be found in AMT's out of production Blueprinter 'engine & bumper/grill Parts Pack'.

What would I have liked to have seen in this kit, or, for that matter, in any (future?) re-releases of the other '32 body styles, are:

- Buick finned aluminum type drum brakes w/ Ford backing plates (for the front axle)

- revised rear suspension component options:

- contemporary - coil-overs, Panhard bar, anti-roll bar, & a centered 9" Ford diff housing & axles (no air bags, please, as when did one last see a bagged rear suspension on any vintage Ford, except the Ala Kart!)

- traditional - Model A rear crossmember w/ buggy spring, tube shocks, and SoCal-style radius rods, plus an early Ford truck (open drive-line) diff and axles w/ a Halibrand quick-change center section

- a drilled & dropped I-beam axle

- lever-type shocks as a build option, in addition to tube-type shocks

- accurate & dechromed Kelsey Hayes wheels (correct-width rims for use w/ skinny big & littles, w/ an option of wide-white inserts (not dumb decals!)

- a nailhead Buick V8 and/or an early Olds V8 w/ all of the period-correct pcs, including Hilborn injection & a 6-2 log manifold options

- Ford 3 speed manual trans that's appropriate behind a vintage engine (no automatic trans behind a flathead, please)

- '48 Ford/Merc series flathead w/ Ardun heads and a S.C.O.T. blower & blower drive pulleys, belts, etc. as build options

- a late model 5-speed manual trans as an option for use behind both the flathead & a modern V8

note: some of the above are already made by R&M & other resin casters, or can be sourced in various kits, but one can still hope that they could be available in future '32 kit releases.

Possible future '32 body styles for consideration -

- a pick up truck (as an alternative to the Lindberg/AMT long in the tooth '34 pickup)

- a Vicky (same comments as above pertaining to AMT's ancient & inaccurately tooled Vicky)

- a woodie station wagon (although it might be a sales flop, as could be a B-400 & a phaeton tub, due to limited appeal after the first rush to get one)

And, how difficult would it be to tool up a '28-'29 roadster body, interior, hood & grill shell, and offer it as a '29A-V8 style of highboy on a '32 frame? That could be a winner! In the meantime, there's always AMT's '29 roadster body. . .

Let's be honest - Revell has already supplied the model car community w/ most everything needed in their other kits to build many variations of '32s. Kitbashing is half the fun of building a hot rod. Will I buy this kit? - you betcha! Hats off to Revell, as they appear to have scored a 95 w/ this variant!

[now what's one to do w/ all of those Ford small blocks? Perhaps a group build project w/ a theme of a 'multi-engined Ford (only) salt or drag car' would use up quite a bunch of them!]

Works for me. I would think the only new tooling it would require would be the body...

So let's see now... suggesting that it would be nice if the kit had included a stock version gets me a series of stern lectures as to how completely impossible and commercially nonviable that would be...

But a kit that would need just a small addition like a completely newly tooled body is a great idea? B)

Hmmm..... :P

Now I'll go as far as saying that the cost of this new tooling very possibly wouldn't be much higher than the new tooling that's been done for the last two versions released/coming out as street rods...

:P

Add up the costs of producing and packaging all the various rehashes, reissues and modified reissues that they've come up with, and suddenly the idea of having released just ONE kit with stock and street rod parts in the first place might just have been kind of a smart idea after all.

Now maybe giving us slightly different kits in drips and drabs over time actually does sell more kits overall vs. one comprehensive kit, because each kit is seen as a "new" kit, causes some new buzz and probably attracts new buyers. But I still think that in the case of such an iconic subject as a '32 Ford, offering a well-done kit which included the option of a factory-stock buildup would have been a wise idea in the long run.

But then again, I don't work for the model companies.

I was relating your comment to mine, not literally questioning whether or not it was a good idea.

Ok, how about this from out of left field: How cool would it have been if the recent re-issue of the Big Deuce had included parts to build one stock? Heck, keep the spun aluminum disks and the Indian blanket and give me the option of a 1/8 scale stocker. Can you imagine the buzz that would have caused? Or all the amazing 1/8 scale models a kit like that would have inspired???

Ok, I know I'm dreaming now... :P

Actually, I would think it would not be all that difficult to convert the Big Deuce to stock configuration, seeing as how, unlike the Revell 1/25 '32 kits, the chassis is already set up to accept the buggy-spring rear suspension, and the kit already contains many stock or near-stock components, including an up top.

Of course, finding 1/8 scale parts to bash in order to make the conversion a reality would be another matter entirely ...

1/8 scale stock wheels/tires, stock front and rear ends, a correct stock engine and a correct stock interior would have been most welcome! Somehow I think that those parts would have stirred more interest than the wheel disks and the Indian blanket that were included in the reissue. Hey, I'm not complaining... I bought and built 2 Big Deuce reissues, plus 2 Big T reissues. I have Deuces and Ts all over my shelves! But oh, for those stock parts...

Tim,

Any photos? What manual trans, early Ford three speed or late 5 speed or ?? Sounds like a great kit, thanks for the reveiw.

Kerry

Kerry...I'm not a real expert on Manual Transmissions....guess I just assumed it was a 1950's Mopar 3-speed manual....I will have to investigate this a bit further. I remember that it did look more like a Vintage trans than one of the current (e.g. T5) types...

As for photos....let me see what I can do.

Best regards....TIM

Kerry...I'm not a real expert on Manual Transmissions....guess I just assumed it was a 1950's Mopar 3-speed manual....I will have to investigate this a bit further. I remember that it did look more like a Vintage trans than one of the current (e.g. T5) types...

As for photos....let me see what I can do.

Best regards....TIM

Kerry, I presume you will see that I have now posted photography of the kit box art in a seperate post in this section....TIM

Although I don't build factory stock models,I'm with Harry on having the option to do so if one desires. There are a lot of people who build factory stock. Not everyone wants to build a rat rod or contemporary rod or nostalgic rod or whatever kind of rod. Some people just like to build them stock. It would sure be a refreshing change to see what a talented factory stock builder could do with a '32. I'm pretty sure that every other version has been covered countless time over.

It's kinda odd that Revell came out with the '40 Ford standard coupe first,then later made it a street rod. Remember that one?? It's not like they haven't done it before. There are a lot of kits out there that can be built stock or custom,so why not the '32??? It might just would prompt me and maybe many others to pick it up and try one.

Guys....my source at Revell confirms that the '32 series was concieved from the word go as a street-rod only series and there are no plans to do a stock version now or in the future.

The Revell '40 Standard was stock first, but most of the kit was reused from the original '40 Ford convertible Pro-Modeler kit which was stock and street rod. As good as that kit is (and it is very good), the street rod vesion is not even remotely contemporary because the stock version frame prohibits it. The '32 series was planned to be a modern street rod from the word go; only with the last two versions have they included some nostalgian parts to offer a second building alternative.

Again I respctively remind those of you who want a stock '32 that by combining parts from the Revell series with the original stock AMT '32 Ford kits, you could do a pretty convincing restored stock model without alot of work. Sounds like the premise for a neat article to me. Harry?

TIM

Again I respctively remind those of you who want a stock '32 that by combining parts from the Revell series with the original stock AMT '32 Ford kits, you could do a pretty convincing restored stock model without alot of work. Sounds like the premise for a neat article to me. Harry?

TIM

Great idea! When can you start it?

DSC_0006-vi.jpg

WOW! does that say 187 Pieces too?

That may not be the era I've been building lately.

But I Likie, I likie alot.

Some really great parts and nice molding.

Mmmm. A nice Hemi? :lol:

I have enough 32's but 1 or 2 more can't hurt ;):rolleyes:

Zuki, that 187 parts seems entirelybelievable. In addition to the 25 part 392 mill, there's even things like two firewalls (one with the backside engraved to match the tuck n roll interiour upholstery, and two steering links (one redone to clear the new engine). There's two building versions of the 5.0L Ford and even three different sets of decals for the '40 Ford instrument panel (stock '40 Ford, moedern round guages with white faces, and modern round guages with black faces....TIM