Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Kübelwagen in progress - Chromecop

Chromecop

Yay VW's! good to see these coming along ...

Hard to tell from pics, but do you have real VW rims on the bug? I'd love to find a set of those steelies.

Yes, the Bug has it's stock steelies from the Gunze kit. I did however widen the rear ones..

Yes, the Bug has it's stock steelies from the Gunze kit. I did however widen the rear ones..

ah ok. I don't think anyone makes the correct VW rims with proper center opening showing. Pretty sure the Gunze kit I did is the same.

ah ok. I don't think anyone makes the correct VW rims with proper center opening showing. Pretty sure the Gunze kit I did is the same.

Have You checked out the rims in HAsegawas 1/24 scale Kubelwagen???? I believe they're pretty correct...???

Have You checked out the rims in HAsegawas 1/24 scale Kubelwagen???? I believe they're pretty correct...???

oh.. cool! I never looked close at that one .. they ARE correct. Thank for pointing me in the correct direction. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looking great.

Great scratch building.

I love those Kûbel:s.

What is with that Glove box thingie?

Many thanks for the kind words! The glovebox "thuingy" is actually the gastank! The letters stand for (I think...):

R= Rezerv (reserve or extra)

Z= Zu (on, as the gastank on these cars had a tap just like a motorcycle)

A= Aus (off)

More pic's:

kw068.jpg

kw069.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, Darryl - I'm liking the Kübel more each time you show us updates. It makes me wanna unwrap and get into the Dragon kit I have stashed away.

The Gunze ones aren't bad, but they lack a little drum detail in the center. The lugs are present, which is a plus. The Tamiya Beetle and Ghia wheels have slightly better detail, but they are the later-style 'open' wheels(with holes); the spare in the Beetle kit has an open center and lug bolt holes. The Hasegawa Kübel wheels are really nice IMO, but they are a little big and narrow; they represent the pre-1950 16"x 4" wheels.

If you have a set of the Kübel wheels that you might not use, I'd swap you any of the others for them....I still need one more set for my 'barndoor' Bus projects.

First of all, Darryl - I'm liking the Kübel more each time you show us updates. It makes me wanna unwrap and get into the Dragon kit I have stashed away.

The Gunze ones aren't bad, but they lack a little drum detail in the center. The lugs are present, which is a plus. The Tamiya Beetle and Ghia wheels have slightly better detail, but they are the later-style 'open' wheels(with holes); the spare in the Beetle kit has an open center and lug bolt holes. The Hasegawa Kübel wheels are really nice IMO, but they are a little big and narrow; they represent the pre-1950 16"x 4" wheels.

If you have a set of the Kübel wheels that you might not use, I'd swap you any of the others for them....I still need one more set for my 'barndoor' Bus projects.

Guys: Exciting thread here, much info! Love this split, superb scaling. And there IS a Kubel!

Awhile back, someone did a Hebmuller, bashed from a couple of 113 sedans...anyone recall that project? (maybe from an old copy of SAE?)

• 2 weeks later...