Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wilhelms Wild Dream

jbwelda

Well on the eve of NNL West 09, I am posting some pics of my next project, this time the classic show rod, Wilhelms Wild Dream. You may remember this kit from your childhood, I am building the one from the issue alongside Don Tognottis King T, and let me tell you, this is sort of testing my patience! lots of ejector marks, dips in the plastic (like right on one of the chrome mufflers, i seriously dont know what i am going to do about that yet), but i am persevering! heres some pics:

first the box top, bring back some memories?

boxfrontu.jpg

end panel showing nice illustration:

boxendpanel.jpg

boxsidedesc.jpg

then the one i like; i got it on sale!

boxsidepricetag.jpg

heres a shot of the painted interior, no details yet, and the primered body shell:

bodyandinteriorshells.jpg

and a pic of the frame im currently building, with the motor block alongside:

frameandmotor.jpg

heres a close up of the frame, showing the partially finished rear axle assembly. frame is

painted tamiya light blue pearl:

dscn9750.jpg

a shot of the partially done motor. i had to build the shortie distributor to

hopefully still fit under the minimum clearance hood while giving a small bit of extra detail:

motornoheads.jpg

a shot of a (dag nabit!!!!) ruined body shell that i wasted but also the other

body components.

the story on the "test" body is that it was the one with this kit and i was primering it

after prepping the parts, and the darn body shot off the tamiya paint stand i was using

and hit the floor. i picked it up and it looked like the primer had dried enough to not

really pick up any dirt so i thanked my lucky stars and put the body up to cure a bit.

that night i was getting ready to sand the primer down a bit when i noticed, whats this!

the durn fin tip is busted off! it had to have landed right on the tip. well i was pretty

bummed but i did have another body shell that i could use if i stripped the paint off it,

so thats what i did. unfortunately i was hoping to use that body shell for a "custom"

version of this car i was going to build next! oh well maybe i can rescue it somehow,

but its pretty micro thin and will be difficult to build to a tip that will take some handling.

ah well heres the pic:

testbodyandcomponents.jpg

ok, finally, heres where some blasphemy comes in. if you notice in the photos above of

the box, the real car ran, for some reason, big slicks on all four wheels. i cant take that

even if it was the way the real car was, so i had to deviate and find some smaller tires.

to tell the truth i dont really like those "turbine" wheels much either, i would much rather

see some american five spoke mags or a set of halibrand spokes in the front and some

deep dish halibrands in the rear and thats where the "custom" version was going to differ.

regardless, i think this car will look a lot better with the big and littles on the not really so

bad looking turbine wheels:

tires1.jpg

well its off to the NNL West tomorrow; after that i plan on putting some serious time in on this,

or serious effort anyway, to get it done in a reasonable time.

thanks for looking!

Edited by jbwelda

Nice to see someone building one of these. Now I can see what is missing from the motor on mine. I got one in a bunch of models I bought a few years back. Some how the body was heated and shrunk and it ruined it. Anybody have a body and hood for one? I will be watching this build. I agree that the front tires look to big on the front. Makes it look like a four wheel drive.

Guest Gramps-xrds

Those were good kits. I bought one when they first came out, built them and then later took them apart and put them in the parts box. About 20 yrs ago I dug through the boxes to see if I could find all the parts to rebuild them. I got this one done and it's been on the shelf for 20 yrs or more. Never did get Tognotti's T finished though.

DSCF0934.jpg

DSCF0933.jpg

thanks folks, what i really need is a set of rear wheel wells. i dont really like them chrome but this current car i am making them as original, chrome. but for the second version i was going to strip the chrome and paint them body color. does anyone *please!* have some? i have other parts to trade! pm me please!

:rolleyes:

alright so sorry about the grovelling there, thanks for posting those photos gramps, they will be valuable reference. and i see your muffler has the same dimple i was talking about earlier...i think im going to try to fill it and then foil it but i sure wish the piece was better. :)

one thing, could you please post a photo of the back end? thats where the body, underbody piece, and both rear wheel wells all meet up and a very delicately shaped piece has to fit for the taillights. i figure thats what going to be hardest about this one: making the back look good with the pretty nebulous mounting points ive seen so far. that rear axle was a struggle in and of itself and ive not even got the shock absorbers mounted yet!

i am probably going to try the king t next especially since i knew don tognotti a bit and he even awarded one of my models as his favorite one time (a thames panel made from simple simon pie wagon, that i had turned into a lotus parts delivery truck and put a twin cam lotus motor in) and i want to display the king t model with the plaque. also the newly restored king t was just at the autorama and i got a bazillion photos of it for reference!

thanks again folks, any tips or help sincerely appreciated and dont forget to contact me for those wheel wells!!!

Edited by jbwelda

Guest Gramps-xrds
:rolleyes:

alright so sorry about the grovelling there, thanks for posting those photos gramps, they will be valuable reference. and i see your muffler has the same dimple i was talking about earlier...i think im going to try to fill it and then foil it but i sure wish the piece was better. :blink:

one thing, could you please post a photo of the back end? thats where the body, underbody piece, and both rear wheel wells all meet up and a very delicately shaped piece has to fit for the taillights. i figure thats what going to be hardest about this one: making the back look good with the pretty nebulous mounting points ive seen so far. that rear axle was a struggle in and of itself and ive not even got the shock absorbers mounted yet!

Here ya go Bill.

I noticed that on the rebuild, I did away w/ that rear axle and replaced it w/ another. So I figured it was too much of a pain also. It wasn't very strong to start w/ This isn't the best rebuild but after 20 yrs in boxes I was just lucky to find enough parts to make it look half way decent. Hope this helps some.

While looking at this site Instruction Sheets | DRASTIC PLASTICS MODEL CAR CLUB | Fotki.com about instructions I found this. Since I had no instructions at the rebuild time, I guess I didn't find all the parts. lol

ChuckDarnell2-vi.jpg

DSCF0935.jpg

DSCF0936.jpg

Edited by Gramps-xrds

thanks for the comments everyone and thanks again for the pics. looks like that purple one has had some pretty extensive work done on the rear to make it look that good. mine will look more like yours probably!

so i take it you painted yours to resemble what i think was a later paint job, kind of a candy gold? right now im having a hard time settling on a paint color to try to get the original kind of light lavender purple candy. i dont use an airbrush so i am limited to spray bombs, but i think i will go with some candy grape from boyds over maybe a light blue or something. or i might just do it in the model master deep purple pearl i shot the motor with. that was my original plan to to tell the truth i would rather get something more subtle like the original was...

Guest Gramps-xrds

Without an airbrush you might have trouble finding a lavender pearl in a spray can to use. Yrs ago AMT made a spray can that was similar to it but, good lock finding it now.

>Yrs ago AMT made a spray can

yep thats the one they indicate on the box as the correct color, but as you

say, good luck on that!

i might look into the duplicolor colors, seems to me i remember seeing

something close one time

so, a bit of an update, got the rear suspension finished and the motor as well:

engineandframeseparate.jpg

some closeups of the motor...since the side panels will be on the front you wont

be able to see the plug wires where they enter the block so im not going to bother

with spark plug boots:

niceenginerightside.jpg

niceengineleftside.jpg

enginerightlower.jpg

rear axle and suspension...that anti sway bar looks pretty cool!

rearaxle.jpg

and a bunch of front end parts getting prepped:

frontendparts.jpg

well, some progress to report: pretty much done building up the frame and suspension, along with motor. heres some updated photos, tomorrow i am going to put the wheels and tires onto the brake drums and take some more photos. meanwhile, onward with the paint, and interior. i think since the interior is pretty simple i will keep it simple and just flock the carpet and put some future on the hyde of nauga upholstery. dashboard is very simple with a couple grab handles, one gauge and a chrome center section.

anyway heres some shots of the motor in the frame with suspension finished:

motorandframeoverallfro.jpg

oh jeez its leaking oil already! :angry:

rearaxleleakingoil.jpg

niceoverallfromabove.jpg

motorinframefromrear.jpg

and here is a shot of the one side's mufflers with the huge gash being filled. i should note, manufacturing

flaws like this were what prevented me from making nice looking models in my childhood mostly

because i didnt have a clue how to deal with them. we will see if ive evolved any in the past 40

years! anyway i guess what i will do after smoothing them is wrap the mufflers only in BMF and

then kind of blue the area a bit. funny thing is, the same marks appear on the other side exhaust

system but on the INSIDE of the muffler, where i can ignore them easier! but still i will BMF that

side too to keep consistent side to side:

exhaustpipesinputty2.jpg

more to come! this is actually coming along better and easier than i thought, but believe me, it aint tamiya!

Bill,

Other than a couple of oil leaks, this one is really looking GREAT!! The detail on the chassis and engine is right on the money!!

Yeah, I could come out to your place for the day, and probably bring my old friend Jerry along, but we'd probably not be able to get him to leave. He spent much of his youth growing up in that area and often talks about wanting to move back.

Later,

well a few more pics, this time with the wheels on their axles, but not committed yet:

niceframewheelsrearrigh.jpg

ah yes this looks much better than slicks on all four wheels!

niceframewheelsfrontrig.jpg

niceframewheelsfromlowe.jpg

one problem: the oil pan is near dragging...i cannot get a business card under it but

i can get a piece of notebook paper under there without disturbing the chassis! so i

am going to call that showcar clearance!

nicefrontendwithwheels.jpg

another problem: i managed to get the near-to-impossible-to-repair parting line in the

spring in exactly the most visible place! on the "custom" version i think i will make my own

coilovers to replace these kit pieces.

heres a hint too: when youve got your delicate chassis on the table for photos and the pesky

backdrop keeps tilting, fix it before it crashes down on your delicate chassis! on the other hand,

if it survives that, you know its built!

alright its on to the interior and the not-so-original color, ive decided on model master deep pearlescent purple.

we will see how that goes. ive already shot the underside surfaces and it seems kind of easy to pool up and create

dark fogging...i will have to be very careful applying it to the exterior.

• 5 weeks later...

well the weather has been warm to hot the past couple of days with minimal wind so ideal painting conditions in my book!

not even close to the correct color, but i like this purple. photos are pretty crappy; it actually looks better in person. i havent spotted any orange peel yet and of course the pearl flakes are being reflected in the flash for the photo, but the paint appears smooth and deep. its two flow coats of the deep pearl purple followed by a couple coats of MM gloss clear, still curing on the paint stand.

it looks like the paint has not stayed consistent up to the body shell from the turtle deck. its not so obvious in real life but i dont like the looks of the photo, i have a feeling if i go back and really eyeball the area im not going to be happy. maybe reprep the back and give it another coat followed by more clear.

nosefromaboverear.jpg

goodbodyleftside.jpg

bodyfromabovep.jpg

i think its at least due for a good polish on the clear after it hardens though again it looks a lot better in person than in the photos.

thanks again for looking!

thanks kustom hearse, yeah it would be great to see this and the tognotti king t reissued but i think its pretty doubtful. for one thing even if they found the molds, even this original kit has pretty serious flash, esp on the chrome parts. i would hate to see how it would look repoped, though i imagine the molds might still be decent as it hasnt really been reissued since original aside from that MPC set of separate kits for each car.

anyway now ive got sort of a dilemma. see the motor side panel in the photos above? notice the little octagonal raised area in the rear upper corner? at first i thought that was some kind of badge or maybe hood release button ala early MG style or something. but i cant find it in any photos i have of the car, and i have a few of them taken at cars shows of the era. and of course ive painted the panel already and taken some pains to make sure it had a rough match colorwise to the panels around them.

the panels would appear to fit perfectly no matter what side was out, though of course they would have to swap side to side. so if those arent supposed to be there i could use the other side which does not have them, and has already been painted too. but the problem there is that is where the ejector pin marks lurked. i filled them but i would rather not take a chance on them coming back on me so i would rather use the side facing out.

anyone have any idea how those panels are *supposed* to fit?