Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Monogram '30 Ford Model A 5-window Coupe

This kit is a great foundation for a hot rod. What's cool is that the frame is the same as in Monogram's '30 Touring and '30 Woody so the hot rod parts found in those kits will interchange with the Coupe. Those kits feature a dropped front axle, custom wheels and Chevy engines featuring either 3-carb (Touring) or 6-carb (Woody) intake manifolds. The newest releases of the Touring and Woody also feature newly tooled parts that offer more possibilities.

The roof section is a seperate piece because the original issues of this kit go back to the 60's and it could be build as either a Coupe or Cabriolet. At some point the Coupe and Cabriolet were made into seperate kits and all of the optional hot rod parts deleted making them stock-only kits.

Of course, a fully customized version of the builders design can be made too and there have been many really cool hot rods made over the years. Below is one of my current projects where I have replaced the stock hood and grill with the shell and louvered hood from Monogram's old tool '32 Roadser and massaged the louvered trunk like from Revell's '32 Ford 5-Window to fit, slammed on chrome-reverse wheels and whitewalls. I also chopped the top

IMG_8144.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

This kit is a great foundation for a hot rod. What's cool is that the frame is the same as in Monogram's '30 Touring and '30 Woody so the hot rod parts found in those kits will interchange with the Coupe. Those kits feature a dropped front axle, custom wheels and Chevy engines featuring either 3-carb (Touring) or 6-carb (Woody) intake manifolds. The newest releases of the Touring and Woody also feature newly tooled parts that offer more possibilities.

The roof section is a seperate piece because the original issues of this kit go back to the 60's and it could be build as either a Coupe or Cabriolet. At some point the Coupe and Cabriolet were made into seperate kits and all of the optional hot rod parts deleted making them stock-only kits.

Of course, a fully customized version of the builders design can be made too and there have been many really cool hot rods made over the years. Below is one of my current projects where I have replaced the stock hood and grill with the shell and louvered hood from Monogram's old tool '32 Roadser and massaged the louvered trunk like from Revell's '32 Ford 5-Window to fit, slammed on chrome-reverse wheels and whitewalls. I also chopped the top

IMG_8144.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

Best use of 1/24th scale parts I've ever seen. Dennis you're a genius.

• 7 years later...

It would be neat to see a six-person group build, with each participant choosing one of the versions pictured on the original issue's box top, though finding a good decal sheet would be a challenge:

Mono30Ford.jpg.65c13d7ddd7154ea3ba7379775af172b.jpg

Some (some a little blurry) pics grabbed from an eBay listing showing the original issue kit's contents:

Mono30CC3.jpg.831e3faa09ba0c7747362ff7e8c7f075.jpg

Mono30CC4.jpg.f936fb634d47bb66b53b889fdaec1e57.jpg

Mono30CC5.jpg.9e41a53f8e5889a268f0411adde6ba34.jpg

Mono30CC6.jpg.0b809dbee2e9ee7a3ce9ec51a637ab6b.jpg

Mono30CCchrome.jpg.ed5dd8103f4660051762efa36e418c02.jpg

And a later, stock only issue...looks like early '70s?

Mono30fordcoupe1.jpg.ce9ff3aed4c26f7188f85f39f652cc3e.jpg

Mono30CC2.jpg

Edited by Casey