Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Datsun truck

59 Impala

I am bringing this one out of hibernation and I'm going to finish it. I started this a long time ago and don't remember when or where I posted it, so here are some pics of where I'm at. Hope ya like.

CustomDatsun2.jpg

CustomDatsun3.jpg

This pic shows her last night before I started painting parts again.

CustomDatsun4.jpg

Thanks fer lookin. Dan

I wish I still had the one I built back in the mid '80's when I was in a mini truck club!! Yes I did just say that :) anyways the flares came with that kit.

I think the only part I have left is the rear window which had our club logo painted on it.

Tuffone is right, the flares came in the kit. These trucks were horendous. Parts fit is really terrible. It takes alot of work just to get things to line up. But, the end result looks good. I have one that I made as stock as possible, it doesn't come with a stock seat or exhaust system. I had to fabricate an exhaust system and had to use the custom seat. Here are a couple pics of that one.

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

As you can see the seats set to high up in the cab. Thanks fer lookin. Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Yer mighty welcome Marshall. Glad I could help. I like how yours looks. I've done a little more work on mine. Not much, but some. I'm working on 4 different builds at the same time. I had to fix a little bit on the rear end of this. Here is a pic from last night.

CustomDatsun12.jpg

I have done a little more but I don't have any pics yet. Dan

Cool work 59 and Custom!

This is such a cool kit. I built one of the stockers back in 76. Some years ago I found an un-built 77.

I do remember it to be finicky, but with patience, it builds up nice.

How about a Datsun build off. Finish date a year from now LOL! :lol:

Tuffone, do you remember what you did to get the rear end down so low? I'm kinda curious. Dan

wow, I can't remember what I did last week and you want me to remember something from some 20 + years ago :lol:B)

If I remember right I'm pretty sure I just made some lowing blocks for the rearend? can you post a photo of your chassis and maybe after I see it I might be able to remember some more of what I did to the one I built?

I like your stock looking one!! Now I think I just might have to try and find one of these kits again..

Cool work 59 and Custom!

This is such a cool kit. I built one of the stockers back in 76. Some years ago I found an un-built 77.

I do remember it to be finicky, but with patience, it builds up nice.

How about a Datsun build off. Finish date a year from now LOL! :lol:

Thanks Don. I like Dan's better. It's got those cool fenders.

The kit's got it's low points, but I've been working on it.

A build off? Finish date a year from now.... Better make it 3 years!!!! B)

Edited by Custom Hearse

wow, I can't remember what I did last week and you want me to remember something from some 20 + years ago :):blink:

If I remember right I'm pretty sure I just made some lowing blocks for the rearend? can you post a photo of your chassis and maybe after I see it I might be able to remember some more of what I did to the one I built?

I like your stock looking one!! Now I think I just might have to try and find one of these kits again..

Will these two pics help? If not I will get a better pic. Thanks fer trying to remember from about 20 years ago ;):lol: Dan

CustomDatsun9.jpg

CustomDatsun8.jpg

Marshall, I have an extra set of those fenders, would you like them? If so, let me know and I'll send them to you. Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

Will these two pics help? If not I will get a better pic. Thanks fer trying to remember from about 20 years ago ;):lol: Dan

CustomDatsun9.jpg

CustomDatsun8.jpg

Marshall, I have an extra set of those fenders, would you like them? If so, let me know and I'll send them to you. Dan

Yes I would Dan!!!! I'd love to have those fenders! I'll send you a PM! Thanks Dan!!!!!!!

Edited by Custom Hearse

• 3 weeks later...

Any progress Dan? I've done a little on mine, including adding those great fenders you gave me. I can't thank you enough for them! I also lowered it as much as I could. I cut off the leaf springs at the mounting point, and re-glued them to the frame where the spring mounts attach. I'll post a pic sometime if you want to see it. Have a great day!

No progress yet Marshall. I got stuck on a couple of other builds, but I'm almost ready to get back to this one. Please do post some pics of yours. I'd like to see what you've done. I also cut the springs at the mounting point and glued them back on. Lowers it a little. Do you need or want the custome outside mirrors? I forgot to send them to you. If you do, I'll send them your way. By the way, how's your hand? I hope you a speedy recovery my friend. B) Dan

No progress yet Marshall. I got stuck on a couple of other builds, but I'm almost ready to get back to this one. Please do post some pics of yours. I'd like to see what you've done. I also cut the springs at the mounting point and glued them back on. Lowers it a little. Do you need or want the custome outside mirrors? I forgot to send them to you. If you do, I'll send them your way. By the way, how's your hand? I hope you a speedy recovery my friend. :D Dan

I know what you mean about being stuck on other builds. I've got about 10 other builds going at once. :lol:

Here's a couple of pics of the truck.....

After I lowered it....

IMG_2094.jpg

bugs eye view....

IMG_2098.jpg

The rear....

IMG_2097.jpg

The re-done hood....

IMG_2092.jpg

I added sheet plastic to the rear of the hood, to push it forward, and a piece on the drivers side. Strangely enough, adding it on one side straightened it up correctly.... :lol:

Yes, I'll take the custom mirrors please. Thanks!

My hand is just about healed. The swelling has gone down, now the cut the doc made just has to finish closing up. But at least I can start working on models again! Thanks for asking!

My best to you Dan, You're a great friend!

I got another coat of primer on it tonight. Maybe I'll get some more done tomorrow. :D;)

Ok Marshall, I'll send them out as soon as I can. Take care and heal up my friend B) Dan

P.S. I like your Datsun Marshall. It reminds me of another one that I've seen somewhere but I can't remember where. ;):D:P:lol::D:lol: Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

I got another coat of primer on it tonight. Maybe I'll get some more done tomorrow. :D;)

Ok Marshall, I'll send them out as soon as I can. Take care and heal up my friend B) Dan

P.S. I like your Datsun Marshall. It reminds me of another one that I've seen somewhere but I can't remember where. ;);):P:lol::D:lol: Dan

(trying to do my best Dana Carvey/church lady imitation....)

Now who do you think it might belong to? Could it be....

SATANS? 12.gif

:D

:P:lol: Very funny, and a good impression of the church lady I might ad. :D;)

I'm going to send the console and floor shifter along with two sets of mirrors. There are two different styles of mirrors for it. I'll try and send them today or tomorrow, so they should be there in a few days depending on the snail mail guys. :P;)