Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale 12V71TTA Detroit Diesel

Hi Chuck, well it appears you got some very old " Bog Roll " in that pink cover, get me drift, 'cause that's about all it's worth using for.

So, it say's it's a 2001 edition, now, since then, the "TURKEY' in question, has moved states to try to give the reposession agents the slip, he now operates out of New South Wales and is calling himself North Coast Hobbies. He has even gone quite on the flea bay of late, if we are all lucky, the repo agents might have eventually caught up with him and slotted him.

So, once again, a freindly warning, you send him money, he will use it to chase whores and get pi$$ed, ------ you------ will------- get--------- ZIP.

Do I have to spell it out any clearer?.

Hi Chuck, well it appears you got some very old " Bog Roll " in that pink cover, get me drift, 'cause that's about all it's worth using for.

So, it say's it's a 2001 edition, now, since then, the "TURKEY' in question, has moved states to try to give the reposession agents the slip, he now operates out of New South Wales and is calling himself North Coast Hobbies. He has even gone quite on the flea bay of late, if we are all lucky, the repo agents might have eventually caught up with him and slotted him.

So, once again, a freindly warning, you send him money, he will use it to chase whores and get pi$$ed, ------ you------ will------- get--------- ZIP.

Do I have to spell it out any clearer?.

You have to translate that post in to english for me. " Bog Roll "?

Thanks for the kind words folks!

I have made some progress on the front auxillary drive, water pump and water manifolds. This engine is starting to get quite large. You can see why you need an extended hood!!!

Thanks for looking

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/116-12v71tta-detroi/

Dave

It's really starting to take shape. It Looks good.

Tim, Ray

Thanks for the comments.

I have been working on the front engine mounting, fan, drive pulleys and belts. Haven't done to much since I have been busy on other things. but now they are complete so this leaves me time to get on with the Detroit.

I'm hoping to have this finished within the next couple weeks. All I need to do then is to build the truck for it. I'm pretty certain that it will be a 1975-1976 Pete 359-127" BBC low boy tractor unit. When I get to building the truck I will start another thread.

Best Wishes

Dave

Edited by Old Albion

Some more progress with the engine. Its almost complete. It just needs the Air Conditioning compressor mounting, an oil sump making and some details added such as plumming etc. Oh!! I forgot paint. The engine will be Detroit Alpine Green. I did think about painting it white since its going to be installed in a mid 70s Pete but decided to go with green. The reason for this is I have never come across any documentation, photo's etc to show that Peterbilt factory fitted a 12V71TTA in a 359. So I will pretend that the truck originally had a 12V71 straight Supercharged engine and was re-engined at a later date by the owner.

Thanks for looking

Dave

• 1 month later...

Well! Its finished!!!

Just over a year and a long time coming. This has been a great little project and I have to say that i have enjoyed the numerous challenges that it brought. My original intention was to see if I could completly scratch build an engine using standard stock materials. The challenge or test was against myself to see if I had the necessary skills and abilities. If I could complete the project then maybe others would be encouraged to have a go themselves. The engine is no where near perfect with a lot of "Artistic License" being utilised. The colour is not right. I mixed my own version of Alpine Green but its a little to dark. Next time I'll add more white to it. I will leave you to deside what you think of the engine. For me its mission accomplished. Now for that KTA, Iron Lung, etc, etc. Or maybe I'll get to finish my Autocar.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/116-12v71tta-detroi/page2.html

Many Thanks for looking.

Best Wishes

Dave

Dave,

Congradulations! Job well done.

It looks excellent! I don't know enough about these engines to know what liberties you took, so to me, it is perfect. I would sure hate to hide it in a truck, but then again, that's what makes the truck look so real. I am looking forward to seeing your version of a lowboy.

Tim

Tim,

Many Thanks for the kind words. The low boy will be a challenge since there are no kits available and no aftermarket parts for wheels, tyres, suspensions etc. I liked the look of the red lowboy you sold on ebay recently and might use that as a base or prototype. I also have details of lowboys from Rogers Trailers. Their web site has a great deal of information for the modeller.

http://www.rogerstrailers.com/514-002/trailer_details.php

Thanks again for the comments.

Best Wishes

Dave

Tim,

Many Thanks for the kind words. The low boy will be a challenge since there are no kits available and no aftermarket parts for wheels, tyres, suspensions etc. I liked the look of the red lowboy you sold on ebay recently and might use that as a base or prototype. I also have details of lowboys from Rogers Trailers. Their web site has a great deal of information for the modeller.

http://www.rogerstrailers.com/514-002/trailer_details.php

Thanks again for the comments.

Best Wishes

Dave

I don't know about that Dave, I will be casting these in 1/16th within the month, based on the henrickson HT300 suspension, and will have real rubber airbags, and can be built to work, also if you really wanted too, you could fit S cams and brake shoes and get them to work as well

514_1468.jpg

515_1579.jpg

Also have spyder rims and a few other goodies all in 1/16th

if you are interested send me a pm, with your email details

as for your detroit, absolutely amazing skill, and the detailing, love it, right down to the starter motor terminals,

can't wait till you start the truck and give it the Dave treatment

Many Thanks for the kind comments. They are appreciated and make the whole project that more worthwhile.

Tim,

Thanks for the details of the Trailking trailer they will come in usefull.

Tony,

Yes i am interested in the parts you have. I would also be very interested in some heavy duty drive axle tyres if they are available. I will send you a PM with my E-mail address. Do you have a web site with these parts on?

Ray,

I agree! It is a shame not to detail on a kit this big. The only problem is knowing when to stop.

Leo,

I hope that other builders feel inspired to have a go themselves at these type of projects. They are fun to do.

Thanks again everyone.

Best Wishes

Dave