Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glass questions

I need to remove what I thought was a decal from a windshield glass. I think it's paint though. I managed to get one scratched off with my thumb nail without scratching the glass, but that was not easy to do. Is there some way to get this off without damaging the glass??

Edited by dwc43

Have you tried polishing it out? I have used the novus 1, 2, and 3 polishes before to polish paint off of glass and it makes kit glass a little clearer and looks a little more in scale, to me at least. I have even used this system to get rid of small scratches in my glasses before. Hope this helps

I've had good success with 90% alcohol or denatured alcohol. I've not had any ill effects happen to the clear plastic. I usually put it on a cotton ball and just start wiping at it.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Have you tried polishing it out? I have used the novus 1, 2, and 3 polishes before to polish paint off of glass and it makes kit glass a little clearer and looks a little more in scale, to me at least. I have even used this system to get rid of small scratches in my glasses before. Hope this helps

Never heard of it. In case I can't get anywhere with alcohol, where can I find this stuff at?

I got my novus polishing stuff at one of my local hobby shops. I think some of the online shops have it too. Try detail master or maybe scale modeling by chris. there are quite a few aftermarket companies out there, I would browse around and see what you can find. Or just google novus plastic polish, I got over 43,000 hits when I just did that. You might be able to find something close-by. good luck and hope this helps.

Thanks. I'm going to a car show Saturday and on the way back I'm going to stop at Hobby Town and see if they have it. Mike keeps more stuff at HT than I can ever find at Hobby Lobby even if it is a little higher priced at times. :D

I tried HT today and they had no clue what it was. I'll check a local hardware store later and see what I can come up with. On this project the glass looking a little weathered will be fine, but I need to get that paint or decal off of it for sure.