Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's on Your Backburner?

Hello there. I'd like to start a thread called What's on Your Backburner. These are projects that you've started building and for some reason have put it aside to finish later.

I'm going to start with my Fujimi Veilside Toyota MR2.

The chassis and interior is 100% complete.

DSC09008.jpg

DSC09014.jpg

All that's left to do is the body. However, it's on my backburner simply cause I don't have the right putty to fill in the gaps on my front/rear bumpers.

DSC09004.jpg

DSC09015.jpg

So, it's all back in the box and on my stack of kit's. Since I just recently got two Koenig Specials models, I plan on starting one of those this week, just not sure which one I want to start!

So, what is on your backburner?

Edited by FujimiLover

I got my fair share of unfinished stuff! I normally don't take pics of unfinished projects, but I DO have a few.....

There's this stupid Trumpeter '63 Nova that I'm backdating to a '62. I got all the parts I need to complete it, but everytime I get started back to work on it, I get frustrated with it all over again.......

IMAG0002-8.jpg

Then I started on a VW....sort of a Volks Rat-Rod kinda thing. Well....the top is chopped and the fenders are gone....thats as far as I got.........

imag0005-3.jpg

How about a '62 Vette that I'm building as a car my cousin used to race in the '60s.....................

IMAG0004-3.jpg

Got a few more too.....a '55 Chevy Bel-Air street machine, a '56 Chevy dirt racer, and a Richard Petty '67 Belvedere.......just can't get up the ooomph to work on 'em!

I know this is not a car, , but ALSO, there's what has become known as my "lifelong project", the helicopter from the '80s movie Blue Thunder. I'll work on this awhile, then put it up for a year or so, then work on it awhile, etc, etc....3 years now........

IMAG0001-3.jpg

######....now I'm depressed. I NEVER finish anything! :rolleyes:

That's why I TRY and finish one thing before starting something else. As soon as you start too many projects at once, it's hard to finish anything. I'd love to get my MR2 as close to the box photo as possible.

Good advice Fugi ..!! Now, here's what happens when you don't stick to those rules.... and hopefully won't catch the attention of the internet police for mass quantities of image posting to cover them all!!

39 Chevy Sedan/Delivery - This was supposed to be a phantom replica of my company's surveying trucks.. I even scratch built the surveying instruments. Stopping point was getting decals with our white logo made.

39ChevySedan-Delivery_DSC0305.jpg

Pair of 51 Chevys .. Fleetline and Bel Air .. I love these cars but not much done yet. Other things keep interrupting

51Chevys_DSC0304.jpg

35 Chevy Modified

I especially didn't enjoy the frame on this one but since it's pretty much done I SHOULD get back to it! ha ha

35ChevyModified_DSC_2208.jpg

95 Subaru Legacy Wagon - wife's old car

needs a couple coats of paint after fixing a couple spots.

95Legacy_PA111868.jpg

49 Merc - an old school Merc.. just like one that used to cruise my High School in 1961 ... !!! Waiting on some stuff to finish from RMCoM

49Merc__DSC0303.jpg

91 Porsche 944 - My old car. Last 944 made. It had the turbo body and a number items from the upcoming 968.. like the engine and rear wing. I resin casted the engine from a 968 and made the rear wing from sheet. Both are in this photo. I since found a cheap 968 model and will probably use the ones from there.

91Porsche944__DSC0306.jpg

67 Triumph TR4A - another car I owned. Haven't even started this one, maybe because it's 1/32 scale .. yuck!

67TriumphTR4A_DSC0307.jpg

56 VW Kombi - This was my Dad's vehicle.. the one I learned to drive on. Finally got the paint from MCW and it is perfect color! Need repaint and will be done.

56VW_Mockup_DSC9662.jpg

03 Infinity G35 - my old car .. you starting to see a theme here? This should be next one I finish.. no lost parts but I'm afraid of the gloss black paint!! ehhe

03G35.jpg

... think I hit pic limit so continued in next post........

Edited by Foxer

For the black paint, I suggest useing that black primer I mentioned in another thread. It helps me produce a very nice black finish. I see you like to build model's of cars you own/owned. I've owned four cars so far. First one was a 1974 Honda Z Coupe and there is a small plastic model kit of it but forgot the company name. Second car I inherited from Grandmother was a 90something four door Honda Accord, no model kit of that. Then I gave that to my sister-in-law and got myselfe an 88 CRX SI. At that time, only model that existed was Fujimi's model and a MiniChamps 1/43 die-cast. Now there are ton's of toy's of the 88-91 CRX.

Now, I own the 2001 Honda Insight and there are NO kit's of that car, but only three toy's of it. One small HotWheels car, one 1/43 die-cast from Ebbro, and a larger toy from the Ultraman series of which is near to impossible to find. It's nice having toy's/models of cars you owned/own. It's also fun having toy's/models of cars you WISH you could have!

... continued...

32 Ford 5 window. This has been sectioned and channeled and the fenders widened 3.5 inches. I started with the recent re-release of the AMT 32 Ford V8 the "Deuce", which I built as a kid with the original release. After starting the bodywork and contemplating what to do with the molded in rear end, I found the Revell 32 Ford 3 window Street Rod frame fit like a glove to the AMT so that's where this is going. This is a pretty recent start so maybe only 8 years to finish going by my normal schedule.. eheh

32Ford_DSC9135.jpg

59 Chevy Impala Hardtop - This is yet ANOTHER of the cars I owned. It has been virtually complete for over 10 years except for the BMF. I don't know why I had such trouble with this one, other than the mass quantities and maybe a sign of my age which must have put the fear in me about finishing this one. I went through a prolonged hardtop cycle with this one. Started with the convertible and got a resin hardtop body. The resin body had problems matching the size of the plastic body, so I cut the top off and put it on the plastic body. About that time, the hardtop version was released and I just got that one and used it!

59Chevy_DSC0313.jpg

Now we have a pile of bought, planned but not started ones:

my Son's Subaru WRX

my Dad's Crown Victoria

my 69 VW bug

recreation of a chopped, channeled and sectioned 40 Ford Sedan I did in 1962

my 67 Pontiac LeMans which I can easily convert from a 66 GTO

Planned__DSC0309.jpg

Last, but not least, is my first car a 51 Plymouth for which I have a link here on the workbench.

Please note this does not include the kit I plan to start tomorrow!!!!

Edited by Foxer

For the black paint, I suggest useing that black primer I mentioned in another thread. It helps me produce a very nice black finish. I see you like to build model's of cars you own/owned. I've owned four cars so far. First one was a 1974 Honda Z Coupe and there is a small plastic model kit of it but forgot the company name. Second car I inherited from Grandmother was a 90something four door Honda Accord, no model kit of that. Then I gave that to my sister-in-law and got myselfe an 88 CRX SI. At that time, only model that existed was Fujimi's model and a MiniChamps 1/43 die-cast. Now there are ton's of toy's of the 88-91 CRX.

Now, I own the 2001 Honda Insight and there are NO kit's of that car, but only three toy's of it. One small HotWheels car, one 1/43 die-cast from Ebbro, and a larger toy from the Ultraman series of which is near to impossible to find. It's nice having toy's/models of cars you owned/own. It's also fun having toy's/models of cars you WISH you could have!

You are making me think. Flat paint goes on SO smooth. Maybe should consider flat and clear coat. Might experiment on an old body.

I've been really lucky finding kits that are usable modeling my cars. The only one I haven't found is a 72 Volvo 240. There's a much newer wagon but is not usable body wise. You've go ta tough list there, but it really amazes me no one has modeled the Insight to date.

My gut-feeling is this. With the new four-door Honda Insight debuted this year, set out for 2010 I think, I bet it will be just as popular as the ugly Toyota Prius, maybe more so as I think it look's better. Maybe there will be a model kit of that and THEN eventually the tiny two door.

I'm still hunting for the 1/32-24 scale Ultraman Honda Insight. I say 1/32-24 cause I'm not sure exactly what scale it is. Being that it's a toy, and not a model, it's sort of a none-scale car if that makes any sense. I do know it's about the size of Fujimi's Honda CRX model, maybe a tad smaller.

The Honda Z Coupe I mentioned was made from ARII, and it was 1/32 in scale. A little easier to find.

I dont' think painting flat black primer and then clear-coating will work. I think what you'll end up with is a flat'ish semi-gloss black. I'd still use the black primer, but then cover that with gloss-black, and then clear coat.

Edited by FujimiLover

1/24 F-100 Its a full on custom with toyota minitruck frame partially sectioned with the stock frame so I could put a engine in it. The engine is out of a camaro its blown 350 and I'm gonna have to make custom headers and exhaust. the engine is gonna fit all under the hood. The bed had to have some major mods to get the c frame to fit under it. I'm making scratchbuilt running boards for it. Its also the first time doing opening doors for me so I want to take my time make sure I get it right. I guess the biggest thing holding me back on this project is the weather because I paint outdoors and i want the conditions to be perfect because I would really like to see this truck turn out nice after spending alot of time on it. I had no choice but to start other projects to keep me busy well I was unemployed. It doesn't bother me at all working on multiple projects at one time. Here are some pics of the F-100.

Picture020-1.jpg

Picture018-1.jpg

Picture017-1.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

My project is a Pro-touring camaro i started sometime during the summer of 2008.everything was going alright until i was trying to apply the hounds tooth to the seats and i ruined the decals as i was trying to get them in place. so i kinda set ti to the side for the winter and now i'm looking forward to start working on it hopefully very soon. hope you guys enjoy.

HPIM2425.jpg

HPIM2426.jpg

HPIM2427.jpg

HPIM2430.jpg

HPIM2431.jpg

HPIM2507.jpg

HPIM2508.jpg

What isn't on the back burner for me!?! My problem is that I start one kit, find another that peaks my interest, and then start on that one. It's a vicious cycle. My new years resolution this year is to work on one project at a time. I still mock up other projects to see how they will look, but I don't start gluing them.

These are my projects in waiting....

A '57 El Camino

0447130-R1-021-9.jpg

Lincoln Continental hearse

63Lincoln.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

'49 Merc

848732-R4-06-18A.jpg

'60 Starliner

IMG_1566.jpg

'68 Charger

0447131-R1-051-24.jpg

2007 Trans Am

IMG_0700.jpg

56 VW Kombi - This was my Dad's vehicle.. the one I learned to drive on. Finally got the paint from MCW and it is perfect color! Need repaint and will be done.

56VW_Mockup_DSC9662.jpg

Hi, Foxer. Would you mind telling me what colors you used on this? You have quite a few interesting projects!

Thanks, Fernando.

The colors are Sand Green (the light one) and Palm Green. Both were used from 1955 to 1957. I have the VW paint codes somewhere it you needed. I got both paints from MCW.

I know that I don't post very often but I will show what I'm working on

'70 cuda pro mod & a drawing for a drag car style trailer

Pics00781.jpg

What's goin' on...

Jimmy

For your race car hauler you might be able to get away w/ using the suspension from the AMT tri-axle Loadcraft step deck (lowboy) trailer kit. It's far from an air ride you'd find on the 1:1 but it may take the guess work out of how to scratchbuild the suspension for it. Another thing the wheels from the Testors 1:28 tri axle tanker kit can pass for a set of low-pros found on some race car haulers. One more suggstion think about using the old K123 Areodyne Kenworth for the truck. That's got a long wheel base w/ plenty of room for a drom box to mount behind the cab. That'd look good.

Pics.jpg

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic