Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ross Gibson Engines?

Apperantly he passed this past weekend after a very short period of illness... unfortunate and sudden.

I bought an engine from him directy for a Sox & Martin Superbird project a couple of years ago and when I told him what it was for he sent some additional stuff I would have needed anyway for free...so in my book he was a good guy.

Hmm..

I was going to put a Gibson 392 Hemi gasser engine in a 41 Willys pickup.

Now I've discovered I need to mate this to a transmission, (which the Gibson kit doesn't supply).

Does anyone have any idea which transmission would be right for this, and where I can get one in resin..?

Anyway, I like a challenge. I built one of those old Revell multi-piece bodied kits recently. Because it was difficult.

True, the RG engines need a bit of cleanup, but some of the parts are really crisp. I guess it depends on the batch.

A period correct transmission for a Gasser would be a B & M Hydrostick...that's a modified version of the GM Hydramatic by B & M...I don't know where you can get one i resin but they are available in some Revell Gasser kits.
Edited by Force

Yes, the B&M Hydro-Stick was the hot setup. It was a modified version of the 4 speed Hydromatic (not to be confused with the later 3 speed Hydramatic) commonly found in Cadillac, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac cars, as well as '54-'59 Chevrolet and '53-'59 GMC trucks. A few other companies used them as well, like Lincoln.

As far as kit sources, the original tool Stone, Woods, Cook Swindler A, Anglia Sedan, Thames Panel, Roth Beatnik Bandit, AMT Willys Coupe/Pickup, AMT '59 El Camino, and the new tool Revell Willys gasser kits (SWC and Big John, not the street machine version) all have the Hydra-Stick or Hydromatic. The versions found in the older Revell kits is separate from the engine, and does include a separate linkage for shifter/kickdown, and are all used with an Olds engine. The AMT Willys also has an Olds. The El Camino has a blown Cadillac. The new tool Revell kits both have a very nice 392 Hemi.

If you can find some of his older resin engines, you're good to go. They were clean and very little clean up was needed. I think the backing of the packet looked like construction paper. He newer ones, with colors cardstock as the packet are horrendous. Pinholes everywhere and missing corners and what not. Almost like the resin parts were re-casted by folks that had no idea how resin worked.

RIP

Apperantly he passed this past weekend after a very short period of illness... unfortunate and sudden.

I bought an engine from him directy for a Sox & Martin Superbird project a couple of years ago and when I told him what it was for he sent some additional stuff I would have needed anyway for free...so in my book he was a good guy.

A period correct transmission for a Gasser would be a B & M Hydrostick...that's a modified version of the GM Hydramatic by B & M...I don't know where you can get one i resin but they are available in some Revell Gasser kits.

Excellent information, thanks guys.

So I guess I could cut off the kit gearbox and whack it onto the bell housing of the Hemi

The kit I'm working on is the new Monogram 41 Willys pickup and the decal sheet has B&M Hydro on it. So I guess the kit's gearbox would be a B&M.

The recent reissue of the AMT Parts Pack : Pontiac [421 / 428] and Chevrolet [265 / 283] includes a nice looking Hydra-Matic in what appears to be in Hydro-Stick livery .

http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/gm-parts-pack

I forgot to mention the AMT part pack Pontiac. IIRC, the Revell parts pack Cadillac also has a Hydramatic, but it is a bit undersize.

The Monogram '41 Willys Pickup is a reissue of the Revell kit, and uses the same frame/drivetrain found under the Henry J and Anglia kits. The engine is a somewhat crude SOHC Ford with a non descript 4 speed manual. It is not a Hydramatic or Hydro-Stick.