Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sneak peek .... Lindberg Charger Police Package

SteveG

With the advent of airbags, old standards had to be re-evaluated. Bucket seats became the norm, giving more comfort and a storage area outside the airbag deployment zone. Vertical mounts for shotguns and rifles were now located between the seats. Prisoner cages posed unique challenges also. That six pound shotgun mounted on the cage sometimes became a lethal missle in a crash.

I think firearms weren't included because "they are bad". Like it or not.

G

The new charger police cars are here, and this is my on review. INSTRUCTIONS- 11pgs., with photo layout of parts and X` on parts not used, some extras for your spare bin. ENGINE- you`ll be busy here, It`s a multi-parts build-up with good detail. FRAME- also the same, another multi-build with much added detail parts. Watch out for those TIRES- looks like it`s a "pin and snap" assembly over the axel stubs, take care not to break them. INTERIOR- pretty much strait foward with front bucket seats and door panel detail. EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT- center mount control panel with laptop, full center divider panel, spotlights, push bumper with warning lights and eight lightbars, CODE 3/javelin,MX 7000 and 360 degree. FEDERAL/ arjent. TOMAR/ "the blade". WHELEN/ edge ultra,patroit LED. VECTOR/ V-bar this V is smaller than the one in the crown vic. BOX ART states car bodys and lightbars are pre-painted, however mine are not, just white plastic and clear bars. All eight lightbars are included in each version of this kit. I paid $ 17.00 each for these kits, well worth the price just for the lightbars. With all the multi-extras, these kits will keep you building for the next several weeks. Well builders, that`s my comments, so maybe you`ll pick up one or two or ...... HAPPY MODELING to all .

I'm building one of those kits right now and here are a couple minor things the builder needs to be aware of ...

First off, there are several places where the builder needs to open flashed-over holes in order to mount the new police accessories, but none of them are mentioned in the instructions. Those places are: 1. Floor plan (for the prisoner partition; 2. Dash (for the spotlight handle); 3. Rear package shelf (for the auxiliary lights) and 4. The roof (for the light bar of your choice.)

Also, the instructions tell you to use the rear inner door handles, as on a civilian Charger, but this obviously isn't correct because cop cars don't have rear inner door handles. This also means the mounting holes for those handles need to be filled. I used CA glue for the task.

All the holes were left as "punch holes" in case the builder elects not to use those parts. Much easier then filling them IMHO. It probably should be spelled out in the instructions somewhere. All the Police Package Chargers I've seen were delivered with the inside door handles in place. They're probably disabled by a switch in the jam or have the rods disconnected. I would imagine it's pretty hard to use the inside handle when your belted in and in hand cuffs. I at least that's what I'm told. B)

Steve

Edited by SteveG

Also, the instructions tell you to use the rear inner door handles, as on a civilian Charger, but this obviously isn't correct because cop cars don't have rear inner door handles. This also means the mounting holes for those handles need to be filled. I used CA glue for the task.

Depends on the agency. Our agency disconnected the rods. The fleet manager wanted to keep modifications to a minimum so there was less of an impact the resale of the vehicle when it completed its duty cycle.

Taking out the rear inner door handles pretty much went away with the mandatory installation of child safety looks. Turn 'em on and that disconnects the inside door handles without ever having to take apart the door panels.

I for one am glad the holes are presented in the fashion (or lack thereof), as not every agency uses a cage, or spotlights, etc. Also the roof holes are too far back for certain agency specific applications as well.

As am I ... I wasn't being critical; just thought folks should be aware of 'em, if they weren't already.

I know you weren't, I was just echoing my enthusiasm for that choice. Also the one that Zoli points out as those body side moldings aren't on every car either, and it's a heck of a lot nicer to not have to sand/grind them off (ala the Lindberg Crown Vic kits). Although it should be interesting to see how many people getting to that point of building a 200+ part kit get to the "screw it" stage and we wind up with a bunch of Chargers who's door moldings look like the car is either mad or shockingly sad... B);):lol:

I know you weren't, I was just echoing my enthusiasm for that choice. Also the one that Zoli points out as those body side moldings aren't on every car either, and it's a heck of a lot nicer to not have to sand/grind them off (ala the Lindberg Crown Vic kits). Although it should be interesting to see how many people getting to that point of building a 200+ part kit get to the "screw it" stage and we wind up with a bunch of Chargers who's door moldings look like the car is either mad or shockingly sad... B);):lol:

If your building a car with mouldings I would glue them on before paint using some masking tape as a guide. Of course you could do what I did when I built the Texas DPS Charger...... Cheat. :lol: Just swap the body with one of the Testors Charger kits that already have them molded on. Other then where the punch holes are located, the bodies are all identical. You can interchange parts between any of the Testors and Lindberg plastic kit Chargers at will.

-Steve

Went to my LHS to check to see if they finally got them since I wanted the Los Angeles Cop car.

I was told when they come in, they will be priced at $22.

Wrong. they price went up to $30.

I told them to keep them.

I mail ordered mine From policeCarmodels.com for $20 each (x6) and only $15 for

shipping = $22.50 each.

Ha ha, they lost another sale and more from me!!

Now to go find me some LAPD Decals..(they were out of the LAPD kits)

Got three today at the I.P.M.S. show in Pittsburgh. two plain and one Fla patrol. Dunno why about the Fla car but EH. these are great looking kits. i will probably start with an all black unmarked like we have in town . And then do one with the city markings.Also have the magnum wagon so there is another one to do in State POlice markings.We have one of them running around here also .

Michael

i will probably start with an all black unmarked like we have in town . And then do one with the city markings.Also have the magnum wagon so there is another one to do in State POlice markings.We have one of them running around here also .

Michael

So what you're saying is...one of these

3438711220_5494ec1efb_b.jpg

And one of these?

3689533844_e1d44c6261_b.jpg

I personally have been thinking long and hard about doing one of those PA Magnums as well...

Anyone have pics of what all you get in the kit? I heard it comes with several light bars? I really want to get a couple of these but I am just curious as to the contents.

Disregard, I just found the kit, contents pics further down in the reviews section.

SWEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ben

I've already built two of 'em, a third started....and while I haven't taken any beauty shots of this one yet, it was simple/dirty fun w/the Uptown Magnum and parts from the diecast Charger police car, and one of the lightbars from the Charger police car (plastic kit). Home-made graphics...I'm making new "warning police dog stay back" decals for the rear glass, and have a few more interior & exterior parts to install:

IMG_8084-vi.jpg

Steve, any insight as to why Lindberg chose to include only one Ram emblem on the decal sheets ... and to use a hole-punch on the second ones? VERY puzzling decision,IMO?

Ken,

The short answer is that the decals were rushed. Why..... the details of this three year on again, off again, on again project are enough to make your head spin around like Linda Blair's in the The Exorcist. Someday after the dust settles I'd like to share the story but even I did you probably wouldn't believe me. Frankly, I'm amazed that they ever got released, just don't ask how ...

-Steve

Ken,

The short answer is that the decals were rushed. Why..... the details of this three year on again, off again, on again project are enough to make your head spin around like Linda Blair's in the The Exorcist. Someday after the dust settles I'd like to share the story but even I did you probably wouldn't believe me. Frankly, I'm amazed that they ever got released, just don't ask how ...

-Steve

Oh I think I can speculate how...but regardless is there a future of baggies of Dodge logos for $5? Cause while JWTBM (the NASCAR decal place) has a sheet for the Charger/300M, I can't see paying $8-$14 just for that sheet to have not have to constantly cannibalize the next set of decals for the missing logo.

Depends on the agency. Our agency disconnected the rods. The fleet manager wanted to keep modifications to a minimum so there was less of an impact the resale of the vehicle when it completed its duty cycle.

The "link delete" option has been available on Mopar police vehicles since the '60's. They usually tape them inside the glove box for installation when the vehicle is placed out of service. I've looked into at least 12 Chargers here locally, among 5 different departments,, and they all have the door handles in place.

The "link delete" option has been available on Mopar police vehicles since the '60's. They usually tape them inside the glove box for installation when the vehicle is placed out of service. I've looked into at least 12 Chargers here locally, among 5 different departments,, and they all have the door handles in place.

sounds to me like you need to clean up your act B)

So what you're saying is...one of these

3438711220_5494ec1efb_b.jpg

And one of these?

3689533844_e1d44c6261_b.jpg

I personally have been thinking long and hard about doing one of those PA Magnums as well...

Why yes James i am going to do the wagon but the city has an all black unmarked also . i am going to go to the public works garage soon to get detail pics of the city cars. Don't really know any state police officers well enough to ask to look at the magnum and i think it runs from the Butler Co. barracks.

but those were really nice pics you got there

Michael

You get three sets, steel wheels with separate chrome centers, the full wheel cover style which I think are on the Chrome tree and the leftover SRT8 wheels. The full wheel cover style should be stripped and painted alluminum to be accurate like in the photo below.

Picture101-vi.jpg

Don't really know any state police officers well enough to ask to look at the magnum and i think it runs from the Butler Co. barracks.

but those were really nice pics you got there

Michael

Thanks. The Magnums are a little hard to track down, as they're only 50 of them state-wide assigned to the accident investigation Troopers. There are another 50 of them unmarked assigned to the State Troopers who are tasked as State Fire Marshals. All of them V-6s.

• 3 weeks later...

I have started mine and let me say this, either I'm getting old, or have built too way many tanks. This kit's instructions are a pain in the B)

I thought for a new tool, it would be cleaner, i.e. no flash, and the parts would make sense with the directions.

Comments?

G