Model Cars Magazine Forum

Niki Lauda's Ferrari 312T

curt raitz

This is a model I've always wanted to build, but for whatever reason could not...

Bought this kit off of eBay about three years ago, before the photo-etched re-pops came out.

I think this was one of the original Tamiya kits cuz the tires were deformed past redemption, decals were a crusty yellow and the clear vinyl tubing was hard and brittle.

The decals were not a problem, picked up a couple of them from IndyCal Decals and the vinyl tubing could esaily be replaced, but the tires were a bigger problem. My friend, Raul Perez came to my rescue by giving me a model of this car he had built many, many years ago.

Now with a set of tires, decals etc...I was ready to start building this model. I have not built a 1/12 th scale kit in sometime and forgot how dang big these things are...swallowed up my workbench!

The donor model came in handy...I was constantly using parts from it to replace broken and missing parts. The plastic on the original model was extremly brittle and frequently broke, especially suspension peices. I just couldn't part with the screens/wire assemblies Raul had put on the intakes...so a little of Mr. Perez ended up on this model.

312T_12-vi.jpg

312T_16-vi.jpg

312T_13-vi.jpg

312T_15-vi.jpg

312T_17-vi.jpg

312T_2-vi.jpg

312T_4-vi.jpg

312T_6-vi.jpg

312T_7-vi.jpg

312T_9-vi.jpg

Thanx for lookin'...

Edited by curt raitz

Curt, you really did a nice job on that kit. I built that car back in 1976 and unfortunately, was one of the original issue Tamiya 1/12 scale cars I gave away to the kid next door when we moved out of our first house (I had just gotten into HO trains at that time)….one of the few things about this hobby that I regret to this day. This is my all time favorite of all of the Tamiya early 1/12 F1 cars and you did a beautiful job on it. I had a chance to pick one up a few years ago and for whatever reason I didn’t…jerk that I can be sometimes.

I see that the back lower corner of the induction cowling still does not fit right. That gap gave me fits. I remember that the shape of the high induction scoop was a little off and had to modify mine a little. I don’t recall the exact shape now; did you modify this one at all? If I remember correctly it was the rear edge at the back of the scoop area that was slightly off.

Anyway, you did a beautiful job on this model and the P/E parts really improved the overall look of it a ton…maybe one of these days I will get another one.

Out of the park Curt! I can only imagine the sheer size of this on a workbench.

I hope to eventually tackle a 1/12 kit. I have room in my display case for two. room on the workbench for one.

The super detailing that these kits lend themselves to is what really scares me. Yours looks great.

Chris

Just awesome! Great job. I, too, love this car. A few years back, after a move, I found this kit. Couldn't believe it! The box was all chewed-up and flattened a little. I started it some 25 years ago. Some small sub-assemblies glued and some parts painted B) Everything, except decals, in great shape. Missing right front shock pieces. Anyway, You added a lot of nice detail to that. It looks great.

later, ;)

Edited by MADmodelDOCTOR

thanx for all the compliments

although building 1/12th scale cars is fun...what you do with them after they're built creates a problem for myself. I'm a "builder" and not a "collector" as Raul and Hossain can attest to, so this model will find someone else's shelf to sit on, not just yet...though!