Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help with a Gasser

I'm wanting to build a model of the 55 Chevy on the cover of this month's Super Chevy and I have a quick question. What's the bestest, easiest, cheapest way to make a solid front end? I can figure out the axle part but I was wondering how to make leaf springs and shackles. Also any special needs for the frame? Thanks guys I appreciate it.

I made mine from .010" x .080" Evergreen strips. I cut several strips longer than needed. Then taped them around a 4" PVC pipe coupling. Held the coupling with a pair of pliers and dipped it into very hot water for a few seconds then held the coupling under cold water to cool.

Now cut the curved strips to the various lengths need for your springs. Add a piece of plastic tubing to the ends of the main leaf and then glue the smaller leaves to it. Add a plate to the side opposite the axel for attaching the U-bolts to. U-bolts made from small wire, nuts made from small plastic rod. Shackles made from evergreen strip.

Mustang13-vi.jpg

Heres the completed Street Gasser.

Mustang11-vi.jpg

Thanks guys! Marc I remembered the Nomad kit tonight at work, so maybe I'll go that route. Is there any other gasser parts in that kit?

I don't have access to my Nomad kit, but it has a fuel injected SBC with the side exit rectangular dump headers. Can't remember what wheels it has in the front but I want to say they are the 10 spoke spindle mounts.

Having lived thru those times....tha easiest conversion was to use a Ford Econoline van front axle, they used to make a kit that would adapt tha stock chubby steering box to tha straight axle by a lengthened cast drag link. We used tha 6 cyl. van axle....yu paid a weight penalty ifn yu used Ford's V-8 axle. Axle was heavier so yu had to use 1 more long leaf spring...weight penalty. Of course, after a bit we started experimenting with different leaf springs....56-59 ford rear axles, chubby leafs, etc.

but tha Ford axle put tha axle below tha springs, extra height.

Further thoughts ---- we also did not cut and weld new frame horns. We just removed tha A-frames, and coiled springs then just welded or bolted tha leaf spring pivot points to tha existing frame rails ----shade tree ingenuity.

In da golden olden days, yu built yur own Speed parts.

Funny how yur memory works, I remember helping a budd chop out tha rear doors ona '57 Chubby 4 dr. Stationwagon. Made a shorter than a Nomad 2 dr. As I remember it, that car rode like it had steel bars instead of springs in tha rear, because being rookie amatuers we nevah considered taking some leaves outa tha rear springs.