Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi every trucklovers out there!

I'm buildning modeltrucks like many others in here, but need some referances for a prosject I have been planning for a while. It is a Redwood Construction log truck with trailer from the 70's. Have found some referance pictures, but non of the company logo! Does anyone out there know how this looked like??? I have tried to seach the web, but havn't found anything, thats why I need your help! :P

Hope someone can help me with a pictures or anything more of thees trucks and this company!

Thanks a lot!!! :P

Here is a picture where the logo is almost visible

post-2777-1240150714_thumb.jpg

Edited by broch

• 10 months later...

I live here on the West Coast in Oregon and spent my time in Humboldt County in Northern California where Redwood Construction Was a big outfit. They have since changed their Name to Redwood Coast Logging and changed their Logo slightly. Theeeir trucks went from a turquios type color to a more sky blue. Tamiya Frech Blue is a good match for the new color. Today they mostly haul chips and very few logs but in the days when I was living there they were the third largest Log haulers in the area.

If you go over to the model truck forum and post a request there, My son who also builds logging trucks from Humboldt County California, has a lot of his logging truck models posted there. If you are interested I have pictures of the rigging on My nephews truck who drives for Redwood Coast Trucking which I could send you. The Truck itself is a standard T-800 Kenworth set up with older general trailer and truck bunks. They would be good to build an older Redwood Construction logging truck off of.

These are the pictures of the T-800 Kenworth which shows the new color but has the early 60-70 rigging on it. I remember what the logo looks like for the earlier trucks,and can draw it out for you and tell you the colors to use to reproduce it. Give me a couple of days and I will post it for you.

Attached is one of the older logos for Redwood Consruction Company. It is the one I remember most and after blowing up the picture of the truck you posted it is the same one as on the truck. The Logo is in the shape of the end of a log and painted as follows;

Dark Brown outter bark ring

The inner part of the log is more of a lighter reddish brown to simulate the color of redwood for which they hauled. There are aslo fine lines in black to represent the growth rings of the tree.

The lettering is block with REDWOOD (white) the predominate lettering centered in the middle of the log inside the bark ring.

CONSTRUCTION (white)

is a third the size of the REDWOOD lettering and is centered below it.

Around the bottom of the log above the bark ring are the words; ARCATA, CALIFORNIA (white) their shop and office location.

Outside the logo and on the bottom of the door is painted 80,000 GVW ,the rated weight of the vehicle in black lettering.

Hope this will help you in building the model of Redwood Constructions Truck.

post-5885-1267659865602_thumb.jpg

Was going through the files on my computor and found this picture of the Redwood Construction Logo, Before they chaged over to Redwood Coast Trucking. This logo also shows they changed their shop and office location to Eureka, California from Arcata, California. Their shop is actually located between both cities in a small township called Manila, California. It can be used on the era truck you are going to model as they used both the old and this one for many years before their buy out. good luck on your model and I hope the information helps.

Edited by muleskinner

• 7 years later...

My name is Mike Durant, I just happen to come on this website by accident.

I went to work for REDWOOD CONSTRUCTION in 1962 I worked there for 10 years. When I went to work there they had around 20 trucks. When I left they had close to three hundred. It was the best job I ever had. I have so many fond memories of that time. It was a fantastic job at a fantastic time. My first truck was a yellow Peterbuilt with A 250 cummings # 27 It was designed for the highway for hauling out of Big Lagoon. I put several hundred thousand miles on that truck and had it in some of the most God Awful places you could imagine and never lost a rear end. After a while Lardy put a 5 speed progressive in it which made it a lot better. We had a woman truck boss, Audrey Griffith, She was the best boss I ever had. Over the ten year period I had three more new trucks, All Peterbuilts. I wish I had taken more pictures than I did. I think I have a side shot of #27 where you can see the logo pretty good. I will see what I have and if there is any interest I will download them and send them. I worked for Bob Canevari for one season after I left Redwood and after that I never hauled another log. Glenn Legg called me that year and asked me to come back and keep my seniority but I had already gone another direction. I did a lot of different things as time went on. Worked for other people but mostly for myself. There was never another job like that and I have so many great memories. I think I was only 22 or 23 when I went there and Jim Cyphers was a couple of years younger than I was but most of the guys were quite a lot older and I am sure most of them are gone. Some of them died in the woods. I will be 80 Aug 1st and am selling Real Estate in Surprise Az. Anything you want to know about that Company during the 60s and early 70 I might have an answer. You can email me at pjmd6856@gmail.com.

Mike, Durant,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I worked at Redwood Construction 73-75.  I had driven for a gyppo logger, Doug Grant, but couldn't make much money on percentage, so I sold out and went to work for the big outfit.  

The first day, I  got my instructions in the office, and went out to find truck 113.  It wasn't in line with the other log trucks,  so I had to ask a passing mechanic were 113 was.  He said "It's a short logger, over on the other side of the shop."

From then on,  because I didn't know what I was getting into,  I  drove those awful short loggers.

Never heard of the company before, but in a quick internet search I found this epic length story of the company, pg 8 through 54, with many photos of its various rigs here, lots model inspiration for those who like logging trucks:

https://rootsofmotivepower.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Roots-Of-Motive-Power-Highline-2006-April-Vol-24-01.pdf

On 12/22/2021 at 8:00 PM, Russell C said:

I found this epic length story of the company, 

Great link, thanks for posting this in depth article! Here is a photo of  the super nice logger in the earlier 2017 link above. (model not mine, but definitely inspired to build a Pete with a Peerless in the future! )

692076754d76cd6e95a9a663521e7b88.jpg

Edited by leafsprings

Nice order! Note the design of Budd wheels, "football handholes", very popular on loggers, not the more common " D " shaped handholes seen on highway rigs. Assuming this tube type 2 piece rim design was spec'd by Redwood because it was the strongest and  most trouble free design in rough off highway conditions. The rear wheels were done quite nicely on the Tyrone Malone Super Boss Truck kit, just drill out the center hub cover and replace with a regular Rockwell hub, but, unfortunately, the front wheels were never done, the  Boss kit used a super wide front wheel instead. The AMT Peerless logging trailer wheels are OK, but, need the same improvements if being used for tractor rear axles and sink holes need to be filled in also.

beb409b7feb90f86c095fb3b9e67d028ae00b2969154fac0eea519915cafb92c_1.webp

IMG_5322.JPG

Edited by leafsprings