Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting detail's

How important is it when you guy's build models, that you paint the details to exact spec's of the real thing? Alot of times we dont' have access to photos of the object we are replicating and have to make an educated guess to colors.

Case in point, my Koenig Specials 500 SL that I'm working on. The instructions calls for the chassis to be all silver with black suspension parts. I can not find a picture of the real chassis anywhere to really know what parts to paint what color.

Also, do you paint every nano-millimeter of the part even in area's that aren't seen? When I paint my parts, I tend to paint the ENTIRE part even if half of it is hidden from view. However, sometimes glue doesn't always like paint and vise-versa.

So how complete are you when you paint parts as well as how accurate are you with colors?

Is it okay to "make-up" your own color choicse for chassis?

How important is it when you guy's build models, that you paint the details to exact spec's of the real thing? Alot of times we dont' have access to photos of the object we are replicating and have to make an educated guess to colors.

Case in point, my Koenig Specials 500 SL that I'm working on. The instructions calls for the chassis to be all silver with black suspension parts. I can not find a picture of the real chassis anywhere to really know what parts to paint what color.

Also, do you paint every nano-millimeter of the part even in area's that aren't seen? When I paint my parts, I tend to paint the ENTIRE part even if half of it is hidden from view. However, sometimes glue doesn't always like paint and vise-versa.

So how complete are you when you paint parts as well as how accurate are you with colors?

Is it okay to "make-up" your own color choicse for chassis?

Personally, that is way down my list. Yeah, I will try to find enough pix to get the chassis colors in the relm of correct, but as far as body colors being spot on - not so much.

I also tend to paint all the parts entirely, mainly because I airbrush 99% of everything and only brush paint typically details where two opposing colors are on the same part. A black part with a silver strap for example.

I will sometimes use the instructions as a guide. They are not always complete or accurate. Photos can be misleading also. A little color temp one way or another, lighting, enviroment can signifcantly change the hue and tone of a color. They almost never look the same in real as the photos.

On a historical race I will try to get close, and if it looks right it is right. I have found sometimes even the authentic colors just don't look right on some models due to scaling. Or sometimes with a very famous car photo were we don't get to see the car in the real we only have that photo to go off of, which isn't always accurate.

Ferrari red is a good one for always looking way orange in pix and dark deeper red in real life.

But whatever, I don't build anything to please anyone but myself any more.

I'm just wondering what to color what on my model's chassis. Tempted to paint most of the exaust gun-metal to differeniate it from the rest of the chassis.

I've looked at photo's of exaust systems and CAT's, and just about 98% of the CAT's I've seen are silver in color, but exaust systems veries from silver, black, gun-metal, whatever.

I just wish I could find a photo of the Mercedes 600 SL chassis so I can at least get an idea of what to paint what color as close as I can get it. Even if it's not 100% acurate, it should be at least convincing.

I'm just wondering what to color what on my model's chassis. Tempted to paint most of the exaust gun-metal to differeniate it from the rest of the chassis.

I've looked at photo's of exaust systems and CAT's, and just about 98% of the CAT's I've seen are silver in color, but exaust systems veries from silver, black, gun-metal, whatever.

I just wish I could find a photo of the Mercedes 600 SL chassis so I can at least get an idea of what to paint what color as close as I can get it. Even if it's not 100% acurate, it should be at least convincing.

This is just a thought but maybe if you talked to the service manager at the local Mercedes dealership by phone or in person they could tell you. Sometimes you luck out and get someone who is nice enough to give you the time.

Thank you but for my current project I went ahead and painted it as I saw fit. I did the chassis silver as suggested by the instructions, then I detailed the exaust in gun-metal with a titanium gold CAT. Look's good enough to me! Pic's posted in appropiate thread. Thank you, I will consider that next time I build another Mercedes. The next 500-600 SL I'd like do is the AMG one from Tamiya. For that one which has ton's more details, and is stock, I will get more detailed information on it for acuracy.

Check eBay Motors from time to time also. Expensive cars like that are often "on the lift" to give potential customers a looksee underneath.

Especially if they look good on the underside, the seller wants folks to see everything.

A good idea as that's the only thing you've got to go on short of being in person are good pics.

I did the chassis silver as suggested by the instructions, then I detailed the exaust in gun-metal with a titanium gold CAT. Look's good enough to me!

Thats really all that matters, imho. Besides, how many people would have really known you guessed at it if you hadn't pointed it out? Sometimes, when all else fails, a little "creative license" is necessary.

If I can't find photos of exactly what I'm looking for, I'll use my own knowledge, experience, and imagination to paint undersides and details.

One tip (thanks, Dad!) is a benefit of digital cameras-stick it under the car and push the button. You'll usually get a good shot of what you were (roughly) aiming at. I wouldn't hesitate to do this at home or at a car show, but you'll probably get some funny looks at the dealership-best to find a sympathetic employee.

I've found that kit instructions are seldom very accurate.

My rules of thumb are as follows:

Chassis/undersides: flat black or body color

Frame rails, fixed chassis parts: semi-gloss black

Suspension parts: gloss black

Exhaust: "Aluminum" to "Titanium" to "gunmetal" to "black"-look at lots of cars and lots of photos to get some ideas. Catalytic converters are usually stainless steel, often with a heat shield of some kind surrounding them.

Cast aluminum parts (Many modern engine blocks, heads, oil pans, some suspension parts, etc): Tamiya acrylic flat aluminum-I think its graininess works better for cast parts than some other brands of paint.

Even if these rules aren't 100% accurate, I think it makes things look "right".