Model Cars Magazine Forum

1996 chevy truck.My favorite work to date.

mhadman

the coil overs were made from some items i had around the house(i am cheap)

the main body was made from an old tv antennea tube(didnt have the correct size evergreen tube on hand at the time,and i was in a hurry)

The shafts were made from larger diameter sewing needles with the internal guides bieng evergreen .

spring cups and upper spring retainers were made from evergreen and finally the sprins i had on hand,but can be found at ace hardware..they were painted with R/C lacquer..

I cheated on the spring compression..I couldnt find a spring both stiff enough to hold its shape under the weight of the truck,and springy enough to allow for full shock extension,so this is what i did..

The top spring retainer at the top of the shock body was not glued into position,allowing for it to move up and down on the shock body...it is cheating,but it was a simple fix to the problem of getting full travel..

here is a shock in the early stage of construction..

chevy2016.jpg

here is also a link to the build up...shows the beggining of the build to the end..

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/mhadman101/?start=0