Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's new Challenger kits are out

SteveG

I got an email from one of my favorite online retailers they are arriving on Monday. They are already on evilbay and you can also "buy now" right on the AMT - MPC website. I think I'm going to wait until my LHS gets them. I wonder who will be first to post the contents here?

I know some guys are going to pass on them because they are curbside kits, but not me. I think they are are great way to recharge the batteries, or try out a new paint or color. They are a still glue kit, not snap together. These kits remind me of the old AMT Craftsman series which is how I started in this hobby.

-Steve

Looking forward to them. I assume the major parts (body, interior, chassis, chrome, etc) will be the same as the promo I got last year. Besides decals, I assume the only difference between the R/T and SRT8 are the wheels (since they are curbsides).

Edited by Rob Hall

IS it just an unassembled promo? I thought we were going to get a complete buildable glue kit, with opening hood and engine. Even if it isn't a complere kit, I can make it one, just thought they'd do it for us. :lol:

Yes, the AMT kits are unassembled promos. The Revell kit (supposedly due in June) is going to be a full detail SRT8.

I got an email from one of my favorite online retailers they are arriving on Monday. They are already on evilbay and you can also "buy now" right on the AMT - MPC website. I think I'm going to wait until my LHS gets them. I wonder who will be first to post the contents here?

I know some guys are going to pass on them because they are curbside kits, but not me. I think they are are great way to recharge the batteries, or try out a new paint or color. They are a still glue kit, not snap together. These kits remind me of the old AMT Craftsman series which is how I started in this hobby.

-Steve

I saw both versions this past Friday. That would be the 2008 and '09 versions. They are unassembled promo's, except that the body unit is molded in white, and John Greczula has whipped up OUTSTANDING decal sheets for both versions. I'm gonna get me one of both. Talk about a perfect palate for cool paint? These two kits are the BOMB!

BTW, I'll still buy the upcoming Revell kit, but we're dealing with oranges and apples here, insofar as comparisons are concerned. The Round 2/AMT kits were manufactured for the customer (Chrysler), and I'm betting they're about dead nuts for scale fidelity.

I saw both versions this past Friday. That would be the 2008 and '09 versions. They are unassembled promo's, except that the body unit is molded in white, and John Greczula has whipped up OUTSTANDING decal sheets for both versions. I'm gonna get me one of both. Talk about a perfect palate for cool paint? These two kits are the BOMB!

BTW, I'll still buy the upcoming Revell kit, but we're dealing with oranges and apples here, insofar as comparisons are concerned. The Round 2/AMT kits were manufactured for the customer (Chrysler), and I'm betting they're about dead nuts for scale fidelity.

Cool..I have the AMT promo and it's very nice. I want to do an R/T in white and an SRT8 in silver from the AMT kits...not sure how I will do the Revell versions, one stock, and I'd like to do some similar to the SEMA show cars...maybe a phantom convertible and one with a Viper drivetrain.

Molded in white, clear, and a firm, but soft to the touch rubbery front and back seats. Decals are eh. R/T and SRT have same tires. Front lip is the only body difference, which is a separate piece anyway. Not too bad overall. The revell should be just as nice.

I too picked up the R/T version yesterday and for what it is, they did a very nice job. The thing I like about the kit is its simplicity. This is a car that screams for a large variaty of color combos. We will be able to do a detailed verion with the Revell and nock out a dealership full of the AMT to saticfy our need to experament with color and graphics.

I don't understand this.

I usually rip them open at the cash register or MAYBE wait until I get to the car.... :P;)

I'm patient enough to wait until I get it home..don't want to drop any tiny parts in the car... :D Though most commonly, new models appear at my house in brown boxes from a brown van (UPS) that usually shows up at around 6:30 pm.

I don't understand this.

I usually rip them open at the cash register or MAYBE wait until I get to the car.... ;):)

I bought it right after we closed at work and had other things to do that were work related first...then hit the gym (still sore after that :blink: ), eat dinner, and such :P

Finally had a chance to open up mine and test fit it, very nice kit, although the part of teh chin spoiler that flimbs up the back of the front bumper is a bit out of wack and will need to be CA'd in place if I ever get around to painting it.

Anybody else thing this would make a pretty neat little 2dr sport wagon if you cut the top and "daisy panel" off a second Challenger and added it to the back of it.

Edited by Joe Handley

Silly question maybe.

is there any difference between the 08 and 09 Challenger kits?

or just decals?

Just wondering which one would be the better one to get.

I finally got my 09 Challenger RT kit form my LHS over the weekend. As far as I can tell, the only differences between the two kits contents are the decals and the wheels. So if your doing factory stock I guess it would depend on which version you want to do. If your going to customize it with different wheels and your own graphics it probably doesn't really matter.

I'm doing mine as Pearl Black RT version. It's already in paint so I'll post a photo once it's polished out.

-Steve

I don't mind the curbside option either, these modern engines don't have the same excitement the old ones used to have anyway, as long as the body lines on the car are right that would be good enough for me.... :lol:

I finally got my 09 Challenger RT kit form my LHS over the weekend. As far as I can tell, the only differences between the two kits contents are the decals and the wheels. So if your doing factory stock I guess it would depend on which version you want to do. If your going to customize it with different wheels and your own graphics it probably doesn't really matter.

I'm doing mine as Pearl Black RT version. It's already in paint so I'll post a photo once it's polished out.

-Steve

What ar you using for the paint Steve? I've got a couple cans of the Mopar spray touchup in that color (crystal black pearl coat or something like that) that I bought to paint a couple of my R/C bodies with and will have plenty left over and would like to paint this car and the Model King '59 Imperial in that color.