Model Cars Magazine Forum

LIONS DRAG STRIP "OPEN"

3men2s

Nitro...that Willys is lookin' great! Looks like it'll be done soon. Thanks for the comments on the Ranchero...they mean a lot coming from someone with your skills.

My skills arent that great but thank you anyway.I am trying to improve.Your decals look great. That is the one thing about building that I don't like, applying decals but due to wanting to do alot of drag cars I'll learn to do em better.

Nitro...you're too modest.

Well, the Ranchero is almost done. Finished up the clear (Krylon), polished it, BMF'd, and tinted the glass...still need to hook up fuel plumbing, set up a radiator, build a driveshaft, and rig up the chute. Thanks for lookin'.... :D

rgwip59.jpg

rgwip60.jpg

That's too bad Nitro...Before shooting mine with Tamiya Clear Blue (rattlecan) I polished them with 3 M compund then wiped 'em down with isopropyl Alcohol. No issues with fisheyes... Hope you get it sorted out.

Aloha...Pete ;)

Edited by Flatout

Flatout, your rig is looking great. The lighting in your photos are right on too. ;)

I've started another project while doing the AWB Nova so I'll throw that on here too. It's a little different for me in that it's a circa 1967 Gasser where as I usually do 50's and early sixties drag cars. Nice to mix things up a bit. The first time I opened this kit and looked at it I thought it was going to give me alot of trouble. Other than a few fit problems I think it will work out. Planning on a big Hemi. Just trying to decide whether to make it fit in the truck or display it on the outside of the vehicle.

IMG_3312.jpg

Edited by noname

Hey Nitro...Your Willys really looks good, thats some beautiful candy red. Glad to see you got the window problems straightened out. Nice work, lookin' forward to seeing the Altered...

Noname...is that the pick up from the old AMT Willys kit?

Aloha...Pete :)

Edited by Flatout

Yes Flatout, that is the old Amt kit that can be turned into a coupe or a truck. I've got it painted all satan black. This build is going rather quickly but will slow down at the engine as I want it to be detailed nicely. When I get most of the body and interior done I'll go at the AWB again and show a few pics.

I'll throw my hat in the ring...

picked up this model at a recent swap meet, just needed an excuse to build it.

Bill "Maverick" Golden ran the "Little Red Wagon" @ Lions Drag Strip in January 1965.

So, me thinks it qualifies for this build...

P8104386-vi.jpg

P8104388-vi.jpg

now lets start building this puppy!

I'll throw my hat in the ring...

picked up this model at a recent swap meet, just needed an excuse to build it.

Bill "Maverick" Golden ran the "Little Red Wagon" @ Lions Drag Strip in January 1965.

So, me thinks it qualifies for this build...

now lets start building this puppy!

UP on your haunches little one!!!

welcome in, Curt :lol:

Edited by Foxer

scan0016.jpg

Since the LIttle Red Wagon is in then I'll choose the Hemi Under Glass.

I bought this sealed kit at our last club meeting. Guy wanted 8.00 but I was short 30 cents.

Luckily another member lent me a buck to save face. Thanks Wil!

I also met FLATOUT-Pete and saw his models for the first time. Nice stuff.

Glad to have another Drag lover in the club.

This kit needs a lot of work to make it accurate, I'm going to see if I can just do a box build

to get back into building.

To Gregg and the gang, I'm actually trying to build/finish a kit!

Aloha, Chun

scan0016.jpg

Since the LIttle Red Wagon is in then I'll choose the Hemi Under Glass.

I bought this sealed kit at our last club meeting. Guy wanted 8.00 but I was short 30 cents.

Luckily another member lent me a buck to save face. Thanks Wil!

I also met FLATOUT-Pete and saw his models for the first time. Nice stuff.

Glad to have another Drag lover in the club.

This kit needs a lot of work to make it accurate, I'm going to see if I can just do a box build

to get back into building.

To Gregg and the gang, I'm actually trying to build/finish a kit!

Aloha, Chun

Here we go...

1407264_600-vi.jpg

Here we go...

1407264_600-vi.jpg

Curt, Alright! sounds like a plan. :blink:

Thanks for the pic. You going with a box build or all out?

I dug out my Lil red wagon to take a look also.

I have a friend that just went to the Don Garlit's musuem in Florida a few weeks back and took a few pics of the wagon. He also mentioned building it today.

Laters, Chun

Can't go wrong with black. I decided not to go with these fat slicks. Me thinks they are a little too wide for circa 67. Once I get shocks made, interior and windows in place, I'll try to take my time with the engine and pick at the Chevy II.

IMG_3455.jpg

Edited by noname

Curt, Alright! sounds like a plan. ;)

Thanks for the pic. You going with a box build or all out?

I dug out my Lil red wagon to take a look also.

I have a friend that just went to the Don Garlit's musuem in Florida a few weeks back and took a few pics of the wagon. He also mentioned building it today.

Laters, Chun

I'll try and detail it out as much as I can, mostly wiring and plumbing around the engine area. So far the only pixur I have of the engine is this one:

littleredwagon2-vi.jpg

Curt/Chun...Good idea. Once they're done You'll need to photoshop a pic with the 2 of them wheels up! In the pic of the real cars together it looks like the LRW is a little more than just "restored", those tires are huge. Lookin forward to seein these when finished.

NoName...a nice set of piecrust slicks would really be "right" on the Willys. The set in the Revell Thunderbolt would be just right...

Chun...see ya Sunday.

ALoha...B)

Edited by Flatout

Thanks for the Suggestion Flatout. Even though pie crusts were still in use during this time I was opting for the smooth/thin wall slicks as I think a blown Hemi could use extra rubber bite.

I have a pair of those slicks you have to glue together in which the tread area is uneven. So spread putty along the tread. We'll see how that goes. :rolleyes:

Edited by noname

Sooooooo what do you have in mind if I may ask? :)

Nitro

I have a few old style willy cars that are gassers and etc that would be perfect for this.. However I believe I am going to opt to build the Drag- On Lady AMC

drag_on_lady.jpg I have some world record holding willy replica model but i want to keep it in the plastic lol... this should be cool though..

Edited by ProStr33t

Curt/Chun...Good idea. Once they're done You'll need to photoshop a pic with the 2 of them wheels up! In the pic of the real cars together it looks like the LRW is a little more than just "restored", those tires are huge. Lookin forward to seein these when finished.

I really like the look of the LRW with the big "meats" as we used to call them. But those seem to be only on the restored truck.

I want to build it to represent the LRW that scooted down the track @ Lions Drag Strip back in 1965.

I do have a 2nd kit of this truck...may build a model of the restored truck with the big "meats" eventually.

I really like the look of the LRW with the big "meats" as we used to call them. But those seem to be only on the restored truck.

I agree Curt...the truck looks very mean with the fat tires, if you gonna run the blower, may as well run the big "meats" too B)

Edited by Flatout

• 3 weeks later...

Wow :lol: not much going on here.

I decided to scrap the Willys truck. Had a few fit issues but mostly couldn't get over the front fenders. The way they were cast looks odd. Instead of the fender raising and rounding from the headlight, it is just flat like a shelf. oh well.

I decided to redo the chassis on the Chevy II. I tore off what I did previously and cut it down the middle so I could widen it. I also stretched the frame a bit in front to move the front wheels forward. Better weight transfer of course. The arrows in the pic. show where I added styrene. This will not be your typical Rat Packer!

fhgfdh.jpg

Edited by noname

Got this thing started...

P8104386-vi.jpg

decided to build it as Bill "Maverick" Golden ran it at Lions Drag Strip in January 1965

P8104388-vi.jpg

ooh purty red plastic with lots of flash...

P9074599-vi.jpg

nice little pre-wired distributor...

P9074600-vi.jpg

aluminum injector stacks...

P9104620-vi.jpg

a little tweakin' to the exhaust, pipes way too short in kit...

P9114629-vi.jpg

powerplant and drive train coming together...

P9114633-vi.jpg

chassis nearing completion...

P9104619-vi.jpg

fixing the front end...

P9104617-vi.jpg

fixing the rear end

getting closer to priming and paint...

my only complaint so far is the amount of flash present with this kit and the opening doors! I hate kits that come with opening doors!!!

It has taken a lot of sanding, etc to get these doors to fit correctly in the openings...apprehensive about how they will look when i finally stick them on the body.

i will be glueing the doors shut once everything is painted, decals applied and clearcoated

more to come...