Model Cars Magazine Forum

LIONS DRAG STRIP "OPEN"

3men2s

Looks excellent so far Curt!

I have stalled out on my Hemi under glass...

Waiting for some SLIXX decals to come in.

Messin up on the painting of the body has prolonged the project.

stay tuned...

Sorry to hear about your painting problems, stuff happens...

At least you can get Slixx decals for your Hemi under glass...I'm stuck with the kit decals

I've got two sets, hopefully they'll behave themselves...will find out this afternoon

got the LRW painted yesterday, used Scalefinishes 1965 Dodge Ruby Red metallic - really nice paint B)

Got this thing started...

P8104386-vi.jpg

decided to build it as Bill "Maverick" Golden ran it at Lions Drag Strip in January 1965

P8104388-vi.jpg

ooh purty red plastic with lots of flash...

P9074599-vi.jpg

nice little pre-wired distributor...

P9074600-vi.jpg

aluminum injector stacks...

P9104620-vi.jpg

a little tweakin' to the exhaust, pipes way too short in kit...

P9114629-vi.jpg

powerplant and drive train coming together...

P9114633-vi.jpg

chassis nearing completion...

P9104619-vi.jpg

fixing the front end...

P9104617-vi.jpg

fixing the rear end

getting closer to priming and paint...

my only complaint so far is the amount of flash present with this kit and the opening doors! I hate kits that come with opening doors!!!

It has taken a lot of sanding, etc to get these doors to fit correctly in the openings...apprehensive about how they will look when i finally stick them on the body.

i will be glueing the doors shut once everything is painted, decals applied and clearcoated

more to come...

Curt,

VERY NICE!!!! Excellent build, coming along nicely. I'm keeping my eye on this one, so I can learn some new 'tricks'!!! :D

TimP

Looking good Curt. Why not glue the doors shut before you paint?

Well, I glued the dash in place to help anchor the door hinges on the body...got ahead of myself a little bit cuzz i hadn't painted or detailed the dash yet. ;)

so decided to leave the doors off til after painting, thus allowing my little stubby fingers room to finish the dash.

I'll be attaching the doors with Pacers "Canopy Glue"...just like white glue only stronger and it won't mess up the finish ifn't it wanders on to it! :D

the distributor was purchased from http://www.scalemodelingbychris.com

I am currently building the same kit and have to agree the amount of flash is rather excessive to say the least. Instructions need more detail. I will NEVER buy another Lindberg kit. My paint is gonna be plain ol RED. I'm gonna overcoat the decal sheet. Had a set of Roth decals disintegrate on me, don't wanna take any chances! I will MAKE the doors work! If building Ed Roth kits has taught me anything, it's to test fit about 20 times and then have the patience of a saint while aligning the hinge parts and watching the glue dry!

Again, can't thank you enough for the info on the headers, will post mine when complete. B)

I am currently building the same kit and have to agree the amount of flash is rather excessive to say the least. Instructions need more detail. I will NEVER buy another Lindberg kit. My paint is gonna be plain ol RED. I'm gonna overcoat the decal sheet. Had a set of Roth decals disintegrate on me, don't wanna take any chances! I will MAKE the doors work! If building Ed Roth kits has taught me anything, it's to test fit about 20 times and then have the patience of a saint while aligning the hinge parts and watching the glue dry!

Again, can't thank you enough for the info on the headers, will post mine when complete. :lol:

MAN !!!! CAN'T BELIVE THE RESPOND ON THIS POST.

SOME OF THESE R OF MY LEAGUE, BUT IT ONLY

MAKES MY WILL TO BUILD EVEN STONGER.

THIS WEEKEND I CLEANED MY CORNER AND I AM READY TO START MY CAR

HERE IS THE PHOTO THAT STARTED ALL.

tw_030_z.jpg

Edited by 3men2s

JUST BREATHE !!! :o

080909LowerLeftCoastNNL038-vi.jpg

080909LowerLeftCoastNNL039-vi.jpg

WHO BUILD THIS??????

THE REAL SLIM SHADY...PLEASE STAND UP.

SIR, OR MAM.....YOU REALLY DID A MASTER PIECE,

DUPLICATING A PIECE OF HISTORY OF DRAG RACING

AND A TURNING POINT FOR THE SPORT...IN PLASTIC?

FROM A FAMOUS PHOTO......PLEASE IF YOU ARE HERE

LET'S US KNOW MORE OF THIS PROJECT HERE.....AND THANK YOU, THANK YOU....this hobby keeps shocking me.

Edited by 3men2s

The Garlits foot massager is by John Treshi AKA Cheech.

He heralds form So Cal and is an amazing builder. His recent Allison powered 69 Mustang FC replica is incredible.

Oh, also that the Garlits car is set up with a small smoke pot under the explosion point for added realism.

This guy is GOOD and very prolific. I think some of his earlier stuff in in a contest annual.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one Curt! :lol:B) Really embodies the "Golden Age" in all its glory, with LADS as its epicenter.

I've got one planned and I'm really glad this build is open 'til the end of the year 'cause it'll probably take that long to get to it! I've got a back issue of Rod & Custom from January '66 coming that has an article on my build - I sure hope it's from SoCal and not NorCal - I'd like to stick as close to the "rules" as possible...

JUST BREATHE !!! :blink:

080909LowerLeftCoastNNL038-vi.jpg

080909LowerLeftCoastNNL039-vi.jpg

WHO BUILD THIS??????

THE REAL SLIM SHADY...PLEASE STAND UP.

SIR, OR MAM.....YOU REALLY DID A MASTER PIECE,

DUPLICATING A PIECE OF HISTORY OF DRAG RACING

AND A TURNING POINT FOR THE SPORT...IN PLASTIC?

FROM A FAMOUS PHOTO......PLEASE IF YOU ARE HERE

LET'S US KNOW MORE OF THIS PROJECT HERE.....AND THANK YOU, THANK YOU....this hobby keeps shocking me.

3MEN2S......THANK YOU FOR THE NICE COMMENTS ON MY DON GARLITS DIORAMA EXPLOSION.......JOHN

CURT!

That's fantastic! That looks great! I have always wanted to build that. Don't know if I will. I like the way you went about it with the aftermarket parts. Maybe I'll start by finding those parts.

Support the hobby- put it on a contest table!

The "Little Red Wagon" is done... :rolleyes:

I tried to capture the LRW as it ran in January 1965 at Lions Drag Strip - enjoy

LRW06-vi.jpg

LRW07-vi.jpg

LRW04-vi.jpg

LRW08-vi.jpg

LRW05-vi.jpg

LRW01-vi.jpg

LRW09-vi.jpg

LRW03-vi.jpg

Another community build done, it's been fun...thanx for lettin' me participate :lol::PB)

Sweet Build on the LRW! It took a lot to just get that kit to OOB status but you went above and beyond! Kudos!

CURT!

That's fantastic! That looks great! I have always wanted to build that. Don't know if I will. I like the way you went about it with the aftermarket parts. Maybe I'll start by finding those parts.

Support the hobby- put it on a contest table!

Don't think it's contest material, but it will make an appearance at the Sacramento NNL Model Car Show this Sunday, October 18th.

Alright. I will enter into this finially. I do not have a car between 1955 and up! But what I do have, I have seen on here already and that is a 1941 Willy's. IThis is a commisioned build. I am going to try to closely replicate the Airoso Willys. I am using the Stone Woods and Cokk willys. Here ae some shots of the 1:1 and of my build so far. Thanks. Jody

GG-BB-025.jpg

airosa_bros.jpg

airosa_bros2.jpg

airosa_bros3.jpg

airosa_bros4.jpg

LgAiroso2.jpg