Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: Custom Chopper

Stingray69

Just when I think I have enough projects I start another! I'll be aiming for an old school look with a few modern touches on this one.

-Ignore this springer for now... I was using it for mockup. I found a much better springer for it which I'll show later.

untitled9.jpg

-I scratchbuilt a sissy bar from 1/16" brass. I'm using small nuts and bolts to attach it to the frame. Its a little more fatter than the average sissy bar!

untitled9.jpg

untitled9.jpg

untitled9.jpg

Thanks guys!

Here is the new springer I was talking about... Its off a very cool diecast bike... almost didn't want to take it off! I will most likely chrome the entire springer. I'm going to do some sanding today and hopefully I will have some paint on it later on. The color will be Turn Signal Amber Metallic... something a little different I think. There will be some pin striping as well.

untitled9.jpg

untitled9.jpg

untitled9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is kind of a bittersweet moment I guess. I was originally going for an old school chopper look but one final mock up before paint made me change my mind. I decided to go for a rather modern look, something Paul Jr. from OCC would probably build. So I chopped off the head stock and started cutting. I used aluminum tubing for a new headstock. I arched the backbone of the frame a bit to flow with the tank better. The tank is off the same diecast bike I got the springer from. I will be making some minor mods to it as well as adding a bottom to it. I won't be using the sissy bar on it anymore, definitely will find a place on my next chopper.

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271-1.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

Good start 8)

Are the wheels and tires from the diecast bike also?

I'm also trying something like this, but the R/M tires seem too big :? :? :?

8)

Yes the wheels and tires are from the diecast bike also. They are a smaller diameter than the ones in the kit, but the rear tire is much wider.

Here's an update. I got all the mods on the tank sqaured away. I added a bottom to it, which proved to be harder than I had thought because of the shape I needed. I also "fattened" a few spots, compare it to the original mockup and you'll see a slight difference. Just needs some sanding now.

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

Here's the widened rear fender. I kept the pointed tip on it..still need to trim the bottom of it. I added the handle bars from the Crusader kit, really not too sure on them. From one angle they look killer but from another they look bad. I'm making a set of drag bars for it... I'll compare then. The seat is in question too. Its getting there... never thought I take this long on something with 2 wheels :D

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg