Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black Knight Decals

The following was received in my inbox yesterday from an MCM reader:

--Gentlemen, I'm the person who was looking for a resin 51 Merc. Custom a year or so ago... And I would like to thank you very much for your help. I hope you can help me again. What I'm looking for is a decal sheet that has the name Black Knight, with an image of a Knight riding a horse on it. I believe it may be from a Riveria or a G.T.O. kit. If you or your readers can help me out with finding one or information where to find one… It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again. Gene "THUMPER" Koski thumperg@aol.com--

If anyone knows the answer to this question... I would love to be enlightned!

The 1:1 El Camino version was called the Black Knight in 78 and Royal Knight in 79. It had hood graphics a lot like the Firebird's "flaming chicken" design. I can't remember if it had a "Don Quixote" type graphic on the tailgate or not..I kinda think it did.

Phoenix Graphics, an aftermarket supplier, makes a "Black Knight" set for a 1:1 El Camino.

A quick web search took me to this page:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/rmx/rmx852979.htm

It describes the 78 Revell/Monogram El Camino Lowrider kit as including the Black Knight decals.

hth,

Jairus, I'm in Massachusets now for the MASSCAR show, so I can't check my stash, but I don't believe any of the El Caminos have a horse on the decal sheet. 3 times the Black Knight has been available in kit form:

Monogram's first 1978 kit, which has been available 5 times now, in it's first issue molded in black from 1978.

When it was reissued in 2000 it included the full Black Knight cladding. That was the 3 in 1 issue that included Stock (Black Knight), Custom, and Lowrider. That was the last time the Custom parts and the cap was in the kit. This was also the first time the Monogram Tool was issued undel Revell's name. It was last seen in 2005 as a Lowrider, which may or may not be currently available, most well stocked hobby shops or mail order companys should have it. But there is no Black Knight markings of any sort in the 2005 issue.

MPC's 79, the same kit that was re-used multiple times and eventually evolved into the 1986 was done as the Black Knight in it's first appearence. It was molded in black, as well.

I have all three kits, but I never opened the MPC one because I have many diffrent copys of that kit and didn't feel the need to open it.

If you can't tell, I'm kind of an El Camino Freak (See: My Fotki, my email address) and I'm working on a kit history of El Caminos that I will, when done, submit to you guys. I need to hunt down or borrow a few kits first, and, of cource, it would help to build some. I've built 4 of the Monogram tooling but none of AMT's legendary 59 built!

I also have plans to build a MINT 1960 later this year. Just need to decide what color to build it.

I believe the decals in question are the ones in the mid-eighties re-pop

of the 66 Ford Galaxie kit # 6518 as they were for the drag version of the car :) I have 2 kits but unfortunately no decals as I had this bad habit

of pulling the decal sheets out of kits to keep them from damage but a housefire a few years ago (lost half of my collection other half in storage) cured me of that

HTH

• 1 month later...

billy you posted in your photos once of a nissan 4x4 which i sold on ebay that some one had brought to your model meeting It has the decals to which the guy is looking for ! I got the decal off a sheet that was from a amt drag car that was issiued in 79 ! Please look maybe if some one can see it the will remember where it come from !

I got the decal off a sheet that was from a amt drag car that was issiued in 79 ! Please look maybe if some one can see it the will remember where it come from !

Please see my post from above it is the late 70's thru mid 80's

version of the 66 Galaxie.

HTH

• 1 month later...