Model Cars Magazine Forum

'77 F-250 WIP-Mockup Pics

Casey429

As if I don't already have too many irons in the fire, here's another. This will be a build of my real '77 F-250 that my dad bought new. I am modifying it into a standard longbed from the Camper Special. I'm going to try and make working leaf springs for it. I want it to be a factory fresh truck. I'm not going to perfect the inside of the bed, I'm going to install an tonneau cover to hide the butchery :P .

These first pics show the cutting I did to the bed so far. I've also filled in the gas caps, and a gas door will be scribed in later. For right now, the bodywork looks good, but primer will tell.

model099.jpg

model100.jpg

model101.jpg

model102.jpg

Here's a comparison the modified bedside, and the stock one on my dad's old builtup.

model104.jpg

Looking good... I've started on a shortbed and longbed conversion myself..I think the hardest part would be modifying th bed floor and inner sidewalls...so the approach I'm taking it is to use the shortbed and longbed from the AMT '93 kits, cut off the outer fenders, and attach '79 outer fenders (with the same kind of cuts as in the first picture)..the dimensions line up pretty well so far..

I'm not sure how the short and long wheelbases on a '73-79 differ from an '80-96, but the chassis of the '93s fit well under the '79 cab (with some trimming of the inner fenders).

• 2 weeks later...

Alittle FYI here! when i did my bed floor i used two driver side inner fender wells to the box, Which really helped out in the end....( I think Casey's attept is better tho then how i did mine)

And Casey! AWESOME! Its good to see someone jump in on a project and take action! keep at it! It looks really good from where i am sitting!

Anymore questions ask away! (always glad to help out a fellow modeler)