Model Cars Magazine Forum

Triumph GT6

Guys, just got an update from the "Model Round-Up" site, an Jacks talkin about the NEW Lindburg release of this kit in 25th scale. Does anyone know if this is a re-pop of the old MULTI-PIECE Pyro kit? Mine was molded in orange plastic, But I don't know if it was made in other colors. Anyway, with a little patience, it didn't build up too bad. I think I could do a little better job now. I was wonderin if it was, as I'd like ta try it again! :lol:

Yeah, it's the old Pyro kit; mine is a Lindberg w/the white car on the lid and it's molded in white. It's quite a handful. I'm working on one slowly, the main body is together but I have to work on the windshield opening and redo some of the trim on the roof to make it look like a model and not a toy. With great car it can result in a neat model, but it certainly has it's challenges due to the multi-piece body. It's also a tiny model due to the 1/25 scale nature (I'd far prefer 1/24 for a subject like this). The wheels are bleh. I'm trying to build the Group 44 car that raced at Daytona.

IMG_6067-vi.jpg

IMG_6066-vi.jpg

is the kit the fastback? I always loved that body, but I'm partial due to the TR4A I had.

The Group 44 sounds interesting Bob.. will sure be watching for that one :( I expect this is a curbside thou ... 6 cylinder Triumph engines are probably in the same category as a Volvo 240 kit! :)

is the kit the fastback? I always loved that body, but I'm partial due to the TR4A I had.

The Group 44 sounds interesting Bob.. will sure be watching for that one :( I expect this is a curbside thou ... 6 cylinder Triumph engines are probably in the same category as a Volvo 240 kit! :)

Yes, it's a fastback. Not much work to convert it to a Spitfire, actually. Revise windshield surround, chop off top, make decklid...

It's a full-detail kit w/engine and opening doors. I'll probably ditch the opening doors since that kind of feature isn't what I'm after, I'd rather have a decent looking model w/o crazy door gaps and it's not worth spending a ton of time getting them to look and work nice.

Yes, it's a fastback. Not much work to convert it to a Spitfire, actually. Revise windshield surround, chop off top, make decklid...

It's a full-detail kit w/engine and opening doors. I'll probably ditch the opening doors since that kind of feature isn't what I'm after, I'd rather have a decent looking model w/o crazy door gaps and it's not worth spending a ton of time getting them to look and work nice.

You're making me druel now! and it's the roof that I like so much about it. May have to stash one in the pile for sometime later if it's getting reissued.

The wheels are bleh.

Are the wheels similar to the ones in the group 44 photos and just bad looking?

Edited by Foxer

This gives you some idea of what you get. I've glued the roof section to the body sides. Much more work required to make it right. Hood fit isn't great. Door fit isn't good either. Things don't line up well. It's a handful...lots of effort will yield a decent model, OOB it's going to look awfully goofy. They did a good buildup for the new box, but picked flattering angles. This model can be really cool, but just remember it's a very crude start with a number of questionable design elements. If this was new tooling Lindberg would be crucified beyond belief, and there are going to be some who buy this model and really find it disappointing. I look forward to building it...I think :(

IMG_7107-vi.jpg

IMG_7108-vi.jpg

IMG_7115-vi.jpg

IMG_7116-vi.jpg

Yeah, it's the old Pyro kit; mine is a Lindberg w/the white car on the lid and it's molded in white. It's quite a handful. I'm working on one slowly, the main body is together but I have to work on the windshield opening and redo some of the trim ...

Thanx for the scoop on this one Bob (and thanx for askin' about it, George). I noticed it too and wondered - although my first thought is almost never that anything is a new tool... That windshield area is a real nightmare! I'd love to see how you plan on wrestling that one into shape!

Thanks for all the input Bob. That windshield is pretty weird ... those A pillars would be major blind spots! Odds are I'll still get a kit when I see one and probably weld the doors shut too I'm expecting ... maybe the hood too and use the engine in a rat rod!! ehhe

Edited by Foxer

IMG_7116-vi.jpg

Yep! That windshield frame is in need of a serious enlargement! :lol:

I've got the '70's reissue (original?).........it's the white car with the racing numbers on it. In fact it was an eBay win from years ago. I bought it because I thought it was a neat looking car------now I'll definitely be taking a closer look now that you've piqued my interest Bob! ;)

Mine is the Lindberg issue from 1979, and the boxart shows it w/Minilite wheels...unfortunately they're not in the kit :rolleyes:

I got mine for a good price a few years back from the late (but never forgotten) Dan Morgan. He was a great guy to buy and trade with.

I too have been waiting and hoping for this kit to come out. Too bad about the windshield... it looks like a toy rather than a model. Oh well, it is better to have one that needs work than not having it at all.

I seem to remember Triumphs having ugly hubcaps about that time (1970ish). Maybe the wheels are meant to look like them.

AGruskos.jpg

Give this link a look for more GT6 photos (and information).

John

• 8 years later...
On 5/25/2009 at 4:43 PM, Zoom Zoom said:

IMG_7108-vi.jpg

What are the two parts at the lower left corner which resemble over-sized Cal Custom scoops?

Also, could this be moved to the Model Cars: News & Reviews section? I think George posting this predates that section's existence. 

Bob Downie mentioned that this kit could be converted  easily into a Triumph Spitfire. Body wise the basics are there for a Spitfire Coupe but I think that the Spitfire did not have the power bulge on the bonnet (hood). A bit more work would be required to make it into a two seater open sports car however. Also, bear in mind that if converting it to a Spitfire the engine would have to be modified to an in line 4 Cylinder. The GT6 as far as I know was only built as a coupe and had a 6 Cylinder in line engine hence the GT6 tag. Both the Spitfire and the GT6 were built on chassis that were common to the Triumph Herald 4 cylinder and the Triumph Vitesse 6 cylinder cars. They were the last volume production cars to be built on separate chassis in the UK. Spitfires and Heralds  were a very common sight on UK roads in the 60's and early 70's whereas the GT6 and Vitesse less so. Airfix released a Triumph Herald in 1/32nd scale quite a while ago that could be converted to a Vitesse. It is such a long time ago since I looked at one of these kits that I cannot remember if the chassis was separate on it as on the real car. If so there may be possibilities if there are any slot racing bodies available of the Spitfire or GT6. I think that Airfix have re released the old Herald a few times over the years, so locating one should not be difficult.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Casey, as Far as I know those are something meant to be aftermarket scoops. If anybody can ever track down the instructions from the Original Pryo kit, we might be able to know for sure.

Found some decent pic of an original(?) Pyro box and they are touted as "HOOD AIR SCOOPS", fitting right in with the other "DRAG"(!) version parts such as the "WHEELIE CASTERS"(!!!)

Rare-Vintage-Pyro-Triumph-Gt6-1-25-Scale-_57 (1).jpg

Rare-Vintage-Pyro-Triumph-Gt6-1-25-Scale-_57.jpg

Rare-Vintage-Pyro-Triumph-Gt6-1-25-Scale.jpg

Edited by Casey

On 5/25/2009 at 5:43 PM, Zoom Zoom said:

This gives you some idea of what you get. I've glued the roof section to the body sides. Much more work required to make it right. Hood fit isn't great. Door fit isn't good either. Things don't line up well. It's a handful...lots of effort will yield a decent model, OOB it's going to look awfully goofy. They did a good buildup for the new box, but picked flattering angles. This model can be really cool, but just remember it's a very crude start with a number of questionable design elements. If this was new tooling Lindberg would be crucified beyond belief, and there are going to be some who buy this model and really find it disappointing. I look forward to building it...I think :(

IMG_7116-vi.jpg

Okay, I instantly see the too-small windshield and the too-thick pillars behind the doors. Should be able to open up the windshield opening and make a new windshield out of clear vinyl, and thin out or replace that pillar. What other major, eye-jarring shape problems are there? I have one of these and y'all now have me thinking about actually building the little backbirth. 

Is the roof generally workable, or should I be thinking in terms of whacking it off and just building a Spitfire convertible? 

Snake 45....It will be interesting to make the open 2seater from this. You maybe able to cut and use part of the roof for top of the boot (trunk) if the curvatures are OK.

The later versions of the Spitfire were restyled by Michelotti.  I think that some time ago there was a white metal kit available in 1/24th scale of the later version. Unfortunately I do not know who made it. Certainly not South Eastern Fine Cast, a UK company who incidentally have a good range of MG kits as well as all their other classics in 1/24th scale, plus a range of steam road going vehicles in 1/32nd scale.

Revisiting this thread after nearly nine years has me realizing that I'd have to treat this kit pretty much like I did my Turbine car. I'd have to practically re-engineer this one from nose to tail to get everything to fit well.

As I mentioned in a previous comment, I have this kit-------had it for many years now and haven't touched it. This will be on my "someday" list of things to build, when I'm in the mood down the road to be tortured! :D

General shape wise, the body is pretty much spot on. Just some proportions (windshield), certain radii and such with the roofline.