Model Cars Magazine Forum

Triumph GT6

I now see that the rear side window shape is wrong, too--upper corner is a sharp angle where it should be a curve. Should be a five-minute fix with round and flat files. (Looks like it might be a little small, too, which the shape-correction filing would fix. 

The roof might look better with that whole window filled in completely. Would give the thing a bit of a Ferrari-ish look. 

In high school, a friend of mine drove a silver MGB with an aftermarket fiberglass fastback roof of some kind. I always thought that roof made the car look just a teeny little bit like James Bond's Aston-Martin DB.5. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I now see that the rear side window shape is wrong, too--upper corner is a sharp angle where it should be a curve. Should be a five-minute fix with round and flat files. (Looks like it might be a little small, too, which the shape-correction filing would fix.

Yup! That's one of the changes I was thinking about among other things. ;)

Ok , I was brave and needed a challenge . I built an Original in mt first Collection . I re-created it again with an '80's (?) re-pop . Enjoy , It is doable ! The other pics are a Cautionary Tale . A warning to always Plastic bag your built models for Storage and or Moving . This way you find all of the parts :) .. From these only pics . My point is not so clear . Did I mention I do not like Windows 10 . It tends to lose things .. like pics :(   Thanx .. 

Triumph GT 6+ f.JPG

Triumph GT 6+ r.JPG

Triumph GT 6+ Chassis.JPG

• 1 year later...

Presently converting my second Lindbergh GT6 kit to a Spitfire Mk 2.  So far i’ve cut two cylinders out of the engine, fixed the too-small windshield, added the trim around the glass, removed the hood bump, replaced it with .040” styrene, filled the gaps then added the smaller spear found on the Spit.  Currently working on the rear deck, more pics to follow - wish me luck!

DFA726B7-9F75-45C6-B39E-A610640BC04A.jpeg

45BA9FCB-9DFE-4EF0-964D-6A7E0C08D41B.jpeg

15 hours ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Presently converting my second Lindbergh GT6 kit to a Spitfire Mk 2.  So far i’ve cut two cylinders out of the engine, fixed the too-small windshield, added the trim around the glass, removed the hood bump, replaced it with .040” styrene, filled the gaps then added the smaller spear found on the Spit.  Currently working on the rear deck, more pics to follow - wish me luck!

DFA726B7-9F75-45C6-B39E-A610640BC04A.jpeg

I like what you've done with the windshield. Changes the whole look of the model! You're inspiring me to find mine and see if I can do the same thing. Drive on! B)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Dead threads walk.

I just got one of these little guys built up as a Group 44 race car. The builder did a credible job considering how bad a kit this truly is, and glued everything shut for simplicity.

She's missing a few parts, and assembled I can see the glaring errors that need correcting (besides what's already been mentioned, the shape and size of the lower rear quarters is entirely wrong, almost like it's 1/32 tacked on to a 1/25 model).

But it's definitely doable.   B)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I have one of these in the Snakepile. I'd like to build it someday. I can't decide whether to keep it a GT6 or convert it to the more common Spitfire roadster. 

I WILL have to fix that tank-slit windshield somehow. 

You know, looking at that, I wonder whether the best thing to do would be to leave the "windshield" part off completely and just build up the A-pillars on the doors and the front of the roof a bit and add the horizontal scuttle panel from strip.

scale%20drawing%201-25-L.png

Scaled 1/25 version of this drawing here.

best,

M.

1 hour ago, Matt Bacon said:

...Scaled 1/25 version of this drawing here.

Thanks for posting that, sir. Most helpful.

The more I look at the model, the more proportion errors I'm seeing (like the lower body may need about a scale .5" -1" sectioning job too, the height of the front fender over the wheel arch is wrong, etc.), but it's still doable.

Leave it. Clean up and enjoy it. Only one I’ve ever seen that’s compelling. 44 Huffaker cars slayed. 
Quick fix for shelf for now, get another for pile to really do. Sub level 8 in storage. Lol. 
Finish that wonky 5th wheel transporter and some deuces first. Lol 
Be well Bill. 
Send it to Snake for quick and dirty and send back for shelf. Lol

• 11 months later...

I built a couple of car scale models going way back, but now as an old man in retirement I decided to have a serious attempt to build a scale model of a 1969 Triumph GT6 Mk2 which I owned in the UK from 1974-1977 finished in Triumph Conifer Green with Overdrive and a Webasto vinyl sunroof. When I bought the car, it had the original steel wheels with stainless steel trims (like those in the Lindberg kit) which I replaced later with Cosmic alloy wheels. It is a rare car, there were only 12,066 of the Mk2 built. The only model option I could find was the Lindberg kit which I had to order from the US.

It was a difficult build, I had to make changes as already described in this thread, enlarged windscreen aperture, narrower door pillars and enlarged door quarter light apertures, reshape the rear quarter windows. I modified it to RH drive with authentic dashboard. I removed the side wing indicators which were not on the UK cars, and the american-style? rear number plate “box”. I also removed the rear lights and hand made all the lights from broken red, orange and clear plastic bits that I found from road accidents.

I cut out the sunroof hole and scratch-built 2 versions of the vinyl roof, open and closed.

Below is a 1977 photo of my original car, and my model pics.

GT6_5536.jpg

GT6_2553.jpg

GT6_2559.jpg

GT6_2556.jpg

GT6_2563.jpg

GT6_2600.jpg

GT6_2602.jpg

GT6_2605.jpg

GT6_2618.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all for your kind comments. It certainly was a difficult kit! In fact, I wasn't happy with my first attempt. I made so many modifications to try to get the parts to fit properly. Then by chance I found an original Pyro kit on eBay, unstarted with all parts still on the sprues. So this is actually my second attempt. I could use all the hand made parts from the first attempt which saved me a lot of time.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:06 PM, Snake45 said:

The roof might look better with that whole window filled in completely. Would give the thing a bit of a Ferrari-ish look. 

In high school, a friend of mine drove a silver MGB with an aftermarket fiberglass fastback roof of some kind. I always thought that roof made the car look just a teeny little bit like James Bond's Aston-Martin DB.5. :lol:

I had a Mk1 Triumph Spitfire before the GT6 and added an aftermarket fibreglass fastback roof too. It was made by a company called Ashley. They used to say the GT6 was a poor man's E-type, so my Spitfire was maybe a poor man's GT6 !

On 7/24/2020 at 5:51 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thanks for posting that, sir. Most helpful.

The more I look at the model, the more proportion errors I'm seeing (like the lower body may need about a scale .5" -1" sectioning job too, the height of the front fender over the wheel arch is wrong, etc.), but it's still doable.

Sir, I'm not sure I understand your comment about the front fender height, but the drawing shows the Mk1, not the Mk2 (GT6+). The height of the front fender was raised on the Mk2, and the Lindberg kit is more or less correct in that respect. The same mod was done on the Spitfires too. Another visual aspect of the Mk2 was the addition of a ventilation grille in the front wings. Mechanically, a lower wishbone was added to the rear suspension to improve the dreaded "folding rear axle" of the earlier model which greatly improved the handling.