Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 GTO grille

Any one out there thinking of converting the 1972 Ventura grille to a 1974

GTO grille. Not too long ago I noticed an advertisment for a resin 72 Ventura grille from the aftermarket. I am currently working on a project to replicate my 1.1 74 GTO. I've got the body down , but my skills are not up to snuff to do the grille. Any help or any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

In the past year, I have seen a '72 Ventura II conversion set marketed on eBay, but I do not recall from who. It was essentially a repop of the old AMT '72 Ventura II kit's front fenders, grille section, rear bumper/taillight unit, and front bumper (I think). I'd check there from time to time.

AFAIK, nobody sells just the grille section.

FYI, The '72 Ventura II's grille section was molded in one piece with the body surround section. It was not the '74 style, but the 'bifurcated' early style grille, so if you wanted to convert to the '74 you've got some scratchbuilding to do.

It would be very cool to do a '74 Goat out of the '72 Nova/Ventura kits. The real car may have been a dud, but a model wouldn't be, for sure! Please post some pics here of the completed model - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would love to see it!

• 10 years later...

Hey Rick,

I was in your shoes in High School. My first car was a 1974 Ventura/GTO, 350cid, 3spd on the floor, bench seat, trunk car. I wish I still had it. I bought the full '72 Ventura body kit and a Nova donor kit so I could build my 1:1, too. I just don't have the confidence in myself to do all of the scratch building to convert it over to a '74. I would be happy to work WITH you and maybe we could figure it out together. Who knows, maybe we could build ourselves a couple of contest winners out of this pickle.

The '73 and '74 GTOs. The forgotten GTOs. I liked them both from day one. I was always a little disappointed that the Ventura based GTO never really caught on. True it sold better than the Collonade bodied '73. But, not well enough for Pontiac to keep the idea going. Too bad.

It is interesting that the '75 and '76 MPC Ventura model kits came with a '74 GTO like shaker hood scoop. I'd love to add both an AMT '72 Ventura II, and an MPC '76 Ventura to collection someday.

Hey Rick,

I was in your shoes in High School. My first car was a 1974 Ventura/GTO, 350cid, 3spd on the floor, bench seat, trunk car. I wish I still had it. I bought the full '72 Ventura body kit and a Nova donor kit so I could build my 1:1, too. I just don't have the confidence in myself to do all of the scratch building to convert it over to a '74. I would be happy to work WITH you and maybe we could figure it out together. Who knows, maybe we could build ourselves a couple of contest winners out of this pickle.

Shawn this thread is ten years old. The OP hasn't posted here in two years.

• 1 year later...