Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's a picture of my buildup of the Revell WRX STI. The motor in it is not the STI motor, though. It is the 2L (1.9L) engine. The STI is supposed to be a 2.5L with a different intercooler and intake manifold. I don't know about the 3 in 1 kit...if it's the same kit or not. But it is a good kit. Easy to build. Just some small inaccuracies in the interior and on the engine bay. But the body shape is decent.

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

The Revell kit has 2.5L non-STI motor. The EJ205 IIRC. early WRX's had the 2.0L turbo, but i'm fairly certain the Revell kit has the 2.5L. (which I believe come out in 2004) I'll have too take a look at the 2.5L in my 08 Impreza and compare it to the Revell kits engine to tell for sure.

I own an '04 WRX and the motor in the Revell kit is the exact motor that I have in my car. It is a 2L motor. The only 2.5L motors were the non-turboed and STI that year. The year afterwards they went to the 2.5L. If you also look at the transmission in the Revell kit, it's a 5-speed instead of a 6-speed which the 2.5 were equipped with in the STI.

Like said in previous posts, the only other motors I know of were white metal from Japanese manufacturers. They were not cheap. The motor in the kit is nice but the issues I had were the way they mounted the turbo and the intercooler. The turbo should have been a little tighter to the gear box than what they had in the kit. And the intercooler was mounted too far back and at too steep of an angle.

It's a good starting point for making a conversion for the other kits.